All Delta flights grounded due to computer outage

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I'm not sure about the hacking.  I think on their spacebook page DL said it was due to a power outage in ATL at 2:30 a.m..  But I'm curious:  no back up(s)?  Or what happened (back ups not kicking in)?  Yes, I  know it's a little more complicated than rebooting a laptop ........ and it looks like at this time ops are re-starting.

jimntx said:
Started overnight.  Evidently computer failure is systemwide.  Flights that were already in the air are being allowed to continue to their destinations, but no flights are being allowed to take off.

https://gma.yahoo.com/delta-airlines-grounds-flights-due-global-computer-outage-094507616--abc-news-topstories.html#

First Southwest.  Now Delta.  Wonder if this is a series of hacking incidents???  AA and United next?
I hope Delta has a quicker recovery than we did. I forget the total number of flights grounded for us but was a few thousand or more.  I just saw on the news that Delta is already up and running just don't know how long until back to norm.  I too was wondering if this is "hack" job from the outside, but so far sounds like just a power outage at HDQ.  It may take a day or two to get back to norm. Good luck guys, I would be willing to bet that Delta is much much more prepared for something like this than SWA was. Our CEO and COO took some major hits over our outage...

What's odd is any major data center typically has its own generator-based power backup.  Even if the power is down in a major area, a data center shouldn't shutdown, unless perhaps the power outage lasts days.  Something smells fishy.

New York Times had this to add:

A power outage at an Atlanta facility at around 2:30 a.m. local time initiated a cascading meltdown, according to the airline, which is also based in Atlanta.

A spokesman for Georgia Power told The Associated Press that the company believes the failure of Delta equipment caused the airline's power outage. He said no other customers lost power.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/08/08/world/europe/ap-eu-delta-outage-.html

It's surprising to me that large organizations like major airlines don't seem to have adequate redundancies built into their networks.

Wonder if anybody at Delta wishes that Anderson had not burned the bridge between DL and AA over AA's "excessive" reliance on DL for recovery from service failures? AA probably doesn't have lots of empty seats, but every little bit helps when things go upside down like this.

While Delta has one of the best reliability records in the industry, its relative outperformance also left stranded passengers with fewer options than rivals in similar trouble.

For instance, the carrier last year ended its interline deal with American Airlines Group Inc., a standard contract that lets passengers rebook at discounted fares in case of problems such as bad weather or technical glitches. Delta passengers rebooking Monday on American would have to pay the full walk-up fare—usually the most expensive on a flight.

“We’ve seen an increase in bookings throughout the day,” said an American spokesman. “It’s a Monday in August, so it’s a pretty busy day anyway.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/deltas-outage-frustrates-passengers-1470674797

Reactions: 2 people
FWAAA said:
Wonder if anybody at Delta wishes that Anderson had not burned the bridge between DL and AA over AA's "excessive" reliance on DL for recovery from service failures? AA probably doesn't have lots of empty seats, but every little bit helps when things go upside down like this.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/deltas-outage-frustrates-passengers-1470674797

Delta/Anderson burned all the bridge eh? 

Not even remotely close to the real story. Amazing United and Delta could work out an agreement with the same big bully at CEO.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

anyways. The interlines don't do much in this situation. Highly unlikely anyone has many if any seats to help Delta out right now. 

Best of luck to all the employees out there. Yesterday was a **** show and I don't think today(at least the start) is going to be a ton better. 

Reactions: 1 person
DL I'm sure had pretty good state of the art backup etc - what will end up coming out is some freak series of events that triggered the dusruption - for example the generators kicked but then had a failure - or several components got fried which should not have happened - when apps shut down unexpectedly bad things happen

To me this is an accident that DL and everyone else will learn from as well

My sister-in-law had to fly DL yesterday.  Not good.
1.  Got up at 3am, checked computer, flight from HSV-ATL is a go.
2.  Drove 50+ miles to HSV to be told on arrival that the flight was cancelled.  No seats available from HSV or BHM.
3.  She checked computer from her phone.  Seats available on BHM-ATL.
4.  Asked HSV agent again about availability.  When told computer said seats available, agent suddenly found a seat and switched her to the BHM flight.
5. Drove 100 miles to BHM.  At BHM she was assured she would make her connection to ATL-SEA flight.
6.  At ATL at approx. 9am, told SEA flight cancelled.
7.  Finally left ATL for SEA at 5pm. 

topDawg said:
Delta/Anderson burned all the bridge eh?
Yep. They looked at the ratio of what AA was sending to DL, and VV, and decided they needed to raise the price AA was paying.

The problem was that the number crunchers couldn't predict the future...

What DL did was cancel their flood insurance because they hadn't seen a flood in years.

topDawg said:
Highly unlikely anyone has many if any seats to help Delta out right now.
Oh, there are seats available.

I've heard from a dozen or so nonrevs at different airlines who couldn't fly their own airline because of DL (some got home on WN and AA **BECAUSE** DL didn't have agreements with them)

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
Yep. They looked at the ratio of what AA was sending to DL, and VV, and decided they needed to raise the price AA was paying.

The problem was that the number crunchers couldn't predict the future...

What DL did was cancel their flood insurance because they hadn't seen a flood in years.

Oh, there are seats available.

I've heard from a dozen or so nonrevs at different airlines who couldn't fly their own airline because of DL (some got home on WN and AA **BECAUSE** DL didn't have agreements with them)

and did the same thing to United. 
but some how they still have a deal. 

Both sides are holding out on each other. 

Kev3188 said:
I can't wait to try and fly home this week...
Hope you haven't been working during this bro. I have heard ACS management has been doing more to work against everyone than help. 

jcw said:
DL I'm sure had pretty good state of the art backup etc - what will end up coming out is some freak series of events that triggered the dusruption - for example the generators kicked but then had a failure - or several components got fried which should not have happened - when apps shut down unexpectedly bad things happen

To me this is an accident that DL and everyone else will learn from as well
agreed. 

hopefully a certain labor hating COO will lose his job too. (can I get a second? Kev?) 

jimntx said:
My sister-in-law had to fly DL yesterday.  Not good.
1.  Got up at 3am, checked computer, flight from HSV-ATL is a go.
2.  Drove 50+ miles to HSV to be told on arrival that the flight was cancelled.  No seats available from HSV or BHM.
3.  She checked computer from her phone.  Seats available on BHM-ATL.
4.  Asked HSV agent again about availability.  When told computer said seats available, agent suddenly found a seat and switched her to the BHM flight.
5. Drove 100 miles to BHM.  At BHM she was assured she would make her connection to ATL-SEA flight.
6.  At ATL at approx. 9am, told SEA flight cancelled.
7.  Finally left ATL for SEA at 5pm. 

Sorry to hear that Jim. 

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts