Alpa Code A Phone 9/6 #2

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE

September 6, 2004 #2

This is Jack Stephan with a second US Airways MEC update for Monday, September 6th, with one new item.

The MEC reconvened its meeting this afternoon at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, VA. A motion was proffered this evening to send the latest Company proposal out to the membership for ratification. This motion was defeated on a roll call vote with Fred Freshwater and John Brookman of PIT and Dan Von Bargen of PHL (holding the proxy for John Crocker) voting against letting the membership determine if the proposal was acceptable.

With no further business before the MEC, the meeting adjourned at 10:30pm this evening.

Those with concerns and questions on the ramifications of the MEC’s action tonight should contact your local Council Reps for an explanation.

Thank you for listening.

delldude said:
better hold the presses.....this doesn't look too good.fao any and all concerned. :(
[post="176515"][/post]​

Maybe we can see if the foo fighters are not too busy.....

You know, the Foo Fighters of WWII to replace the pilots that don't want to play ball with this nice management team. The same team the IAM had figured out months ago that took ALPA till tonight to see the same thing.

My guess, UAIR will file for Chapter 11 protection this Sunday the 12th. As part of the filing, UAIR will likely also file to abograte at least ALPA's contract if not all of them, with all of the pension plans likely to be terminated in the end.

USFlyer said:
My guess, UAIR will file for Chapter 11 protection this Sunday the 12th. As part of the filing, UAIR will likely also file to abograte at least ALPA's contract if not all of them, with all of the pension plans likely to be terminated in the end.
[post="176518"][/post]​
Yep, I'd say Chapter 11 filing on Sunday 9/12 is all but certain. It's going to get ugly!

USFlyer said:
[post="176518"][/post]​

If they do then the future looks bleaker than it already did and I wish all the luck to the employees left standing.

FYI__There is still monies available for career training for airline workers, this I am sure of as I recently looked into it. Now would be a good time to wrap your mind around such an idea.

SalesGuyCCY said:
Yep, I'd say Chapter 11 filing on Sunday 9/12 is all but certain. It's going to get ugly!
[post="176519"][/post]​

Realistically, it was going to get ugly no matter what.

ClueByFour said:
I do believe that mwereplanes called this one.....
[post="176517"][/post]​

The 12th, indeed, is probably correct. But do not assume management will simply get to trash contracts. They have been negociating in BAD faith. This company is toast, because it somehow thought its own employees were the enemy. The pilots offer was a no s......t give back of over a quarter B dollars. It was not good enough...somehow U thought taking a 5 year employee down to 1 week of vacation would remedy the company's woes...go figure. Best. Greeter.

Using "bankruptcy" to break union contracts may be the only way the company gets what they want...but won't it KILL business when USAirways is trying to operate with a majority of disgruntled employees? You know the old saying "Don't cut your nose off in spite of your face". I guess time will tell.

Honestly, most of the employees are already disgruntled. I rarely fly US anymore, having switched most of my business originally to UA and now NW. Also, you're correct in saying UAIR will not simply be able to walk away from the contracts. However, I believe they have to first say they want to and then follow several steps (almost like a checklist of sorts) before the judge rules yes/no on abrogation. I know posters -- 700UW comes to mind -- have posted the exact law on here in the past.