ALPA COuncil 41 (PHL) Update for May 11, 2007

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
ALPA Council 41 (PHL) Update for May 11, 2007

Where’s Team Tempe?

The true colors of Team Tempe are shining through. We have heard nothing from management since the announcement of the “Awardâ€. I’m sure they are monitoring the operation to gauge the need of their response, if any. They also were handed a windfall by Arbitrator Nicolau. The decimation of the furloughed pilot’s seniority will ensure a drastically reduced number of returning pilots with significant longevity. In most cases our furloughed pilots were at top of scale.

Remember, longevity = higher pay = higher costs = less money available for executive bonuses.

The very real possibility of half scale Captains from AWA flying with top of scale copilots from AAA could materialize. In addition, the division between the pilots caused by such a one-sided award will prohibit any type of unity moving forward. Jerrold Glass has likely sent a very nice Thank You gift to Arbitrator Nicolau.

The viability of ALPA on this property is in serious jeopardy.

After receiving the presentation from the Merger Committee last Monday, the MEC understands and can better quantify the devastation to the vast majority of US Airways pilot’s careers. In pay, working conditions, status, in all matrixes the inequities in this integration are overwhelming. The inconsistencies of the award are numerous and glaring. The few rationales offered by Mr. Nicolau defy reasonable logic and supports contradiction. Protections are nonexistent.

Negative implications of this award on the US Airways Pilots, if implemented, will be magnified over time. This will produce a corrosive effect on the success of both the Company and the Association. The short term Deal Makers could care less! We have heard consistent statements by Management about their desire to pursue consolidation within the industry (A Deal). This action will further dilute the already decimated careers of the US Airways Pilots. If a future merger happens with Delta, Air Tran, or Jet Blue, then it is likely the AWA pilots will surely change their tune.

Anger will be the only motivator.

We have noticed the grass root efforts to remove pilots from Dues Check-off. If you choose this method of making a statement to ALPA International, remember, please remain in good standing.

We have clearly expressed the gravity of the situation with Captain Prater, and he gets it! The Executive Council will be meeting in Herndon on May 21, 2007 to address this atrocity. Make sure they have heard your views on the importance of Seniority in our profession and your opinion on whether merger policy was followed.

There will be consequences to their actions, or lack thereof.

Your Replacements Are Coming!

The following is from another Pilot’s union publication:

“The Multi-Crew Pilot License†is an alternative method of training air transport pilots by relying more on simulators than on actual flying time and can reduce the time required to put a non-pilot into the cockpit seat from 30 months to 12-15 months. This program hopes to alleviate an acute impending worldwide pilot shortage. Critics question the lack of actual flight experience. Is it safe? We will find out as the first batch of qualified pilots is due to graduate by Jan. 2008.â€

We had learned about this program while attending ALPA’s BOD in Las Vegas last October. Rumor has it that Ford and Harrison will set these MCPL pilots pay rates at $29 per flight hour for First Officer. After 1000 hours of actual flight time and the proper attitude, pilots will be eligible for upgrade based on merit to a Captain of a Shinny Jet Airliner. Pay will jump to $39 per flight hour.

Remember, make sure you continue to help the company out when their needs arise. It will take some time for the company to integrate these pilots into our system. Management is counting on our Captains to train these prospects in the art of real world flying. Make sure you accomplish their mission when asked!

Managements “Comprehensive Proposalâ€

As predicted, the first economic counter by the company meets the qualification as a TURD (Totally Underfunded Really Delinquent) proposal.

This remarkable insult begins by suggesting – even after 4 years of raises - our wide-body captains are worth substantially less than domestic narrow-body captains on other LCC properties at present – and the pay rates decrease from there. But seriously, 3%? THREE PERCENT? If it weren’t so insulting it would be laughable. You can tell the company what you think…and you know exactly how to do that.

Now look at where we are and where they are with the retirement: Company: offering 10% (unchanged) Pilots: 15% Recall Mr. Parker stated part of his income was “at-risk.†Now we’d like to ask you what happened to your retirement. Was it “at-risk?†Is your D.C. plan “at-risk?†Are you “at-risk†every single time you report for work? How about your family?

Now recall Mr. Parker is the highest paid CEO in the business taking away around $9 million!

Really, it was not to Comprehensive after all.

Bat Day

On May 15, US Airways will hold its annual shareholders meeting at the Radisson Warwick Hotel in Center City Philadelphia. Free bats will be handed out to the first 100 pilots.

An Abomination

Last Friday, after reading the Nicolau Award several times, I (Dave) went to work documenting and sorting through the discrepancy in the written document. I was about a third of the way done when my phone began to ring. It hasn’t stopped yet, and I am glad.

One of the first things I noticed was that the list presented by this panel is missing the individual pilot’s Date Of Hire, for obvious reasons. It’s indefensible.

The written opinion by Arbitrator Nicolau is absent any rational explanation for his decisions. Although he uses his usual presentation of the two parties’ arguments, this is followed by either an incoherent or no explanation and lack of rationale for his own decision.

There is no consistent application or methodology in the development of the list. In other words, what is good for one part of the list is not for another. I was somewhat surprised he put the furloughed pilots in order of DOH and not in birth order. Not re-ordering the individual list is about the only part of merger policy he chose to follow. The disparate treatment of pilots not only between the two Airlines, but amongst the individual airline’s own pilots in this award is unconscionable.

Seniority and or longevity played no part in this list. None, Nada, Zero.

The only tenet of unionism left after the destruction of our pension, pay, and work rules during the bankruptcy era was our seniority system. This Award has in effect destroyed that seniority system as we have known it and, ironically, for individual segments of each Airline. The actual list really can not be called a “seniority listâ€; it should be called simply a “pilot list.â€

Pilots flying right seat at top of scale with fellow pilots in the left seat at half of scale should have been a clue as to how unpalatable this award would be. There was a clear lack of consideration given to the AAA pilots for the attrition brought to this merger by their own list. Mr. Nicolau must have assumed that all pilots retire from the top of a seniority list, thus the widebody protection…kind of.

In fact, a clear windfall was awarded to the majority of the AWA list, absent the top. But they too will reap a windfall when age 60 rule is changed.

This Merger, between two carriers with very divergent pilot populations, required a very sophisticated set of conditions and restrictions to protect the interest of both groups. What was awarded was a non-consistent yet simplistic list, which disregarded all longevity and has virtually no conditions or restrictions for protections. This scheme naturally caused a windfall for one side at the expense of the other. This Award is so poorly crafted that it has created nearly unmanageable consequences. It would appear it was done over a “Weekend at Bernie’sâ€.

Bottom line is that the Arbitrator did not follow the Associations own policy in constructing this list. He apparently applied his own set of values/ “criteriaâ€, and not that of the Air Line Pilot’s Association. In so doing, he has created a moral injustice by providing a windfall at the expense of the larger, more senior group of pilots represented by the Association. Let’s see how Mr. Nicolau has done on the other “criteria:â€

a. Peserve jobs. Failed…Furlough Pilots will now not return due to loss of seniority!

b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other. Major Failure…(893) US Airways Copilots that would have upgraded to Captain before retirement age will now not upgrade. Only one AWA copilot will not make it that previously would have.

c. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pay and standard of living. Failed… Many junior Captains on East list could face displacement to FO by equipment reduction already announced.

d. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pilot status. Failed…East pilots will be relegated to long term Reserve status or non-upgrades due to loss of attrition versus before the Award.

e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations. Failed…Wiped out most East pilots expectations, while West pilots gain expectations of East equipment, routes, bases, and especially rapid advancements in seniority brought on by the East’s attrition.

Quite an impressive job Mr. Nicolau!

The time is now for the Association to step up to the plate. The choices are clear and the decision is easy.

Will we be Taking the Union Back, or will we be Taking it Apart????

Let your National Leadership know how you feel.

WAR Review item: 99 - The FOM (new) states in 13.2.7: It is ultimately the individual pilot’s responsibility to determine... their ability to safely remain on duty.

Fraternally,

Eric Rowe
Dave Ciabattoni
Jim Portale

"a. Peserve jobs. Failed…Furlough Pilots will now not return due to loss of seniority!"

Fraternally,

Eric Rowe
Dave Ciabattoni
Jim Portale

OK, can someone please explain this logic or at least steer my to some sense of understanding?

These guys claim Nicolau failed to preserve jobs because a furloughed pilot is staying on furlough? Is that what he's saying?

I don't know how they do it in the east, but out here in the west, when you don't drive to work on a somewhat consistent basis and you don't pick up a paycheck from said work, that's called NOT having a job.

Please, someone walk me throught this VERY SLOWLY.

And now do you east guys get why you're at where you're at?

"OK, can someone please explain this logic or at least steer my to some sense of understanding?"

If you've truly, and utterly missed it all thus far...there's really no point in further attempts at enhancing your "understanding".

"Please, someone walk me throught this VERY SLOWLY."

See note above.

"And now do you east guys get why you're at where you're at?"

Before playing the fool any further with additional childish "nyaah, nyaahs"....Get where we're all "at" = The east folks are the majority...like it or not...we are. This union can be decertified on the east, and thereafter on the west, regardless of whether 100% of AWA people vote to the contrary. Alpa knows this full well. It's past time that we all try to come up with a more rational solution than impending tribal warfare.

Was that SLOWLY enough?

ALPA Council 41 (PHL) We have clearly expressed the gravity of the situation with Captain Prater, and he gets it!

From captain Prater's letter,
I want you to know that I have read or listened to many of them, and while I might not be able to answer each one personally, or return every call, I have heard you. It’s also critical for you to understand that your national union cannot, did not, has not, and will not do anything other than follow the Merger Policy.

It appears from his statement he has no intention of trying to do anything with the award. I think you are setting yourself up for a major letdown. Right or wrong, I believe the arbitrators decision will be final.

This union can be decertified on the east, and thereafter on the west, regardless of whether 100% of AWA people vote to the contrary. Alpa knows this full well. It's past time that we all try to come up with a more rational solution than impending tribal warfare.

True, your side can decertify ALPA. But if you decertify like you've been burning the company down over the past few days (NOT), then I don't think ALPA has anything to worry about.

Now, on to the goon's logic. After decertifying ALPA on the east end, the goon claims that it will also be done on the west (by east pilots). What goon fails to mention is that, in between those actions, our group must beworking under ONE CBA. If we're working under ONE CBA, then that means the NEW seniority list is in effect. If the NEW seniority list is in effect, decertifying West's ALPA is moot.

So, there's nothing you can do.

Educate yourself before you speak.

"True, your side can decertify ALPA. But if you decertify like you've been burning the company down over the past few days (NOT), then I don't think ALPA has anything to worry about."

I'm not one for "burning the company down"...nor are the vast majority that do find great solace in the notion of dumping Alpa, so the issue is of apples vs oranges there. If simply pointing out the voting potential of the east qualifies me as a "goon"...what's the proper title for inexperienced individuals seeking lordly, litigated, not earned by time nor effort put forth, "seniority" over others?..."Pipsqueeks?".."Punks?"...enlighten me as to the proper verbage. If you are without any imagination and fully entrenched in your nyaah-nyaah mode...so be it. Time will tell, as it does in all aspects of life.

"So, there's nothing you can do."

We'll see.

True, your side can decertify ALPA. But if you decertify like you've been burning the company down over the past few days (NOT), then I don't think ALPA has anything to worry about.

Now, on to the goon's logic. After decertifying ALPA on the east end, the goon claims that it will also be done on the west (by east pilots). What goon fails to mention is that, in between those actions, our group must beworking under ONE CBA. If we're working under ONE CBA, then that means the NEW seniority list is in effect. If the NEW seniority list is in effect, decertifying West's ALPA is moot.

So, there's nothing you can do.

Educate yourself before you speak.

Can't educate a "goon".

Where’s Team Tempe?

The true colors of Team Tempe are shining through. We have heard nothing from management since the announcement of the “Awardâ€. I’m sure they are monitoring the operation to gauge the need of their response, if any. They also were handed a windfall by Arbitrator Nicolau. The decimation of the furloughed pilot’s seniority will ensure a drastically reduced number of returning pilots with significant longevity. In most cases our furloughed pilots were at top of scale.

Remember, longevity = higher pay = higher costs = less money available for executive bonuses.

The very real possibility of half scale Captains from AWA flying with top of scale copilots from AAA could materialize. In addition, the division between the pilots caused by such a one-sided award will prohibit any type of unity moving forward. Jerrold Glass has likely sent a very nice Thank You gift to Arbitrator Nicolau.

The viability of ALPA on this property is in serious jeopardy.

After receiving the presentation from the Merger Committee last Monday, the MEC understands and can better quantify the devastation to the vast majority of US Airways pilot’s careers. In pay, working conditions, status, in all matrixes the inequities in this integration are overwhelming. The inconsistencies of the award are numerous and glaring. The few rationales offered by Mr. Nicolau defy reasonable logic and supports contradiction. Protections are nonexistent.

Negative implications of this award on the US Airways Pilots, if implemented, will be magnified over time. This will produce a corrosive effect on the success of both the Company and the Association. The short term Deal Makers could care less! We have heard consistent statements by Management about their desire to pursue consolidation within the industry (A Deal). This action will further dilute the already decimated careers of the US Airways Pilots. If a future merger happens with Delta, Air Tran, or Jet Blue, then it is likely the AWA pilots will surely change their tune.

Anger will be the only motivator.

We have noticed the grass root efforts to remove pilots from Dues Check-off. If you choose this method of making a statement to ALPA International, remember, please remain in good standing.

We have clearly expressed the gravity of the situation with Captain Prater, and he gets it! The Executive Council will be meeting in Herndon on May 21, 2007 to address this atrocity. Make sure they have heard your views on the importance of Seniority in our profession and your opinion on whether merger policy was followed.

There will be consequences to their actions, or lack thereof.

The following is from another Pilot’s union publication:

“The Multi-Crew Pilot License†is an alternative method of training air transport pilots by relying more on simulators than on actual flying time and can reduce the time required to put a non-pilot into the cockpit seat from 30 months to 12-15 months. This program hopes to alleviate an acute impending worldwide pilot shortage. Critics question the lack of actual flight experience. Is it safe? We will find out as the first batch of qualified pilots is due to graduate by Jan. 2008.â€

We had learned about this program while attending ALPA’s BOD in Las Vegas last October. Rumor has it that Ford and Harrison will set these MCPL pilots pay rates at $29 per flight hour for First Officer. After 1000 hours of actual flight time and the proper attitude, pilots will be eligible for upgrade based on merit to a Captain of a Shinny Jet Airliner. Pay will jump to $39 per flight hour.

Remember, make sure you continue to help the company out when their needs arise. It will take some time for the company to integrate these pilots into our system. Management is counting on our Captains to train these prospects in the art of real world flying. Make sure you accomplish their mission when asked!

Managements “Comprehensive Proposalâ€

As predicted, the first economic counter by the company meets the qualification as a TURD (Totally Underfunded Really Delinquent) proposal.

This remarkable insult begins by suggesting – even after 4 years of raises - our wide-body captains are worth substantially less than domestic narrow-body captains on other LCC properties at present – and the pay rates decrease from there. But seriously, 3%? THREE PERCENT? If it weren’t so insulting it would be laughable. You can tell the company what you think…and you know exactly how to do that.

Now look at where we are and where they are with the retirement: Company: offering 10% (unchanged) Pilots: 15% Recall Mr. Parker stated part of his income was “at-risk.†Now we’d like to ask you what happened to your retirement. Was it “at-risk?†Is your D.C. plan “at-risk?†Are you “at-risk†every single time you report for work? How about your family?

Now recall Mr. Parker is the highest paid CEO in the business taking away around $9 million!

Really, it was not to Comprehensive after all.

Bat Day

On May 15, US Airways will hold its annual shareholders meeting at the Radisson Warwick Hotel in Center City Philadelphia. Free bats will be handed out to the first 100 pilots.

An Abomination

Last Friday, after reading the Nicolau Award several times, I (Dave) went to work documenting and sorting through the discrepancy in the written document. I was about a third of the way done when my phone began to ring. It hasn’t stopped yet, and I am glad.

One of the first things I noticed was that the list presented by this panel is missing the individual pilot’s Date Of Hire, for obvious reasons. It’s indefensible.

The written opinion by Arbitrator Nicolau is absent any rational explanation for his decisions. Although he uses his usual presentation of the two parties’ arguments, this is followed by either an incoherent or no explanation and lack of rationale for his own decision.

There is no consistent application or methodology in the development of the list. In other words, what is good for one part of the list is not for another. I was somewhat surprised he put the furloughed pilots in order of DOH and not in birth order. Not re-ordering the individual list is about the only part of merger policy he chose to follow. The disparate treatment of pilots not only between the two Airlines, but amongst the individual airline’s own pilots in this award is unconscionable.

Seniority and or longevity played no part in this list. None, Nada, Zero.

The only tenet of unionism left after the destruction of our pension, pay, and work rules during the bankruptcy era was our seniority system. This Award has in effect destroyed that seniority system as we have known it and, ironically, for individual segments of each Airline. The actual list really can not be called a “seniority listâ€; it should be called simply a “pilot list.â€

Pilots flying right seat at top of scale with fellow pilots in the left seat at half of scale should have been a clue as to how unpalatable this award would be. There was a clear lack of consideration given to the AAA pilots for the attrition brought to this merger by their own list. Mr. Nicolau must have assumed that all pilots retire from the top of a seniority list, thus the widebody protection…kind of.

In fact, a clear windfall was awarded to the majority of the AWA list, absent the top. But they too will reap a windfall when age 60 rule is changed.

This Merger, between two carriers with very divergent pilot populations, required a very sophisticated set of conditions and restrictions to protect the interest of both groups. What was awarded was a non-consistent yet simplistic list, which disregarded all longevity and has virtually no conditions or restrictions for protections. This scheme naturally caused a windfall for one side at the expense of the other. This Award is so poorly crafted that it has created nearly unmanageable consequences. It would appear it was done over a “Weekend at Bernie’sâ€.

Bottom line is that the Arbitrator did not follow the Associations own policy in constructing this list. He apparently applied his own set of values/ “criteriaâ€, and not that of the Air Line Pilot’s Association. In so doing, he has created a moral injustice by providing a windfall at the expense of the larger, more senior group of pilots represented by the Association. Let’s see how Mr. Nicolau has done on the other “criteria:â€

a. Peserve jobs. Failed…Furlough Pilots will now not return due to loss of seniority!

b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other. Major Failure…(893) US Airways Copilots that would have upgraded to Captain before retirement age will now not upgrade. Only one AWA copilot will not make it that previously would have.

c. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pay and standard of living. Failed… Many junior Captains on East list could face displacement to FO by equipment reduction already announced.

d. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pilot status. Failed…East pilots will be relegated to long term Reserve status or non-upgrades due to loss of attrition versus before the Award.

e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations. Failed…Wiped out most East pilots expectations, while West pilots gain expectations of East equipment, routes, bases, and especially rapid advancements in seniority brought on by the East’s attrition.

Quite an impressive job Mr. Nicolau!

The time is now for the Association to step up to the plate. The choices are clear and the decision is easy.

Will we be Taking the Union Back, or will we be Taking it Apart????

Let your National Leadership know how you feel.

WAR Review item: 99 - The FOM (new) states in 13.2.7: It is ultimately the individual pilot’s responsibility to determine... their ability to safely remain on duty.

Fraternally,

Eric Rowe
Dave Ciabattoni
Jim Portale

So I guess Eric,Dave and Jim at "Goon Central" are advocating a "wild cat" job action. Hmmmmm.....better cash in my US and AW frequent flyer miles.

If you are without any imagination and fully entrenched in your nyaah-nyaah mode...so be it. Time will tell, as it does in all aspects of life.

No nyaah-nyaah here at all. I''m just responding to all the waah-waah.

Can't educate a "goon".

Guess not.....why do you idiots insist on copying the entire post. Seems those with the least to say are the worst offenders.

Greeter, tired of scrolling.

From captain Prater's letter,

It appears from his statement he has no intention of trying to do anything with the award. I think you are setting yourself up for a major letdown. Right or wrong, I believe the arbitrators decision will be final.
The bolded part seems to be a pattern with the Easties.

The US Airways pilots do not expect much if any action, but according to their legal sources it is one step on the path to their goal.

As I have said, the Nicolau Award will stand, but it will never be implemented.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The US Airways pilots do not expect much if any action, but according to their legal sources it is one step on the path to their goal.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

If that's what your atty's are telling you then you need to get your money back!!!!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Content on being that perminate underclass huh??
If I did know better it sounds as if you plan to act in bad faith to get out of an arbitrated award that you asked for and agreed to!!! Interesting, I wonder how that will play out in further arbitration in this case and finally in the courts.