Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 2:55 AM
Subject: 29 December MEC Chairman Message

Bill Pollock

MEC Chairman’s message to the pilots

December 29, 2004

This is MEC Chairman Bill Pollock with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Wednesday, December 29th.

I want to start out by thanking everyone for your hard work during this holiday period. I sincerely hope everyone has the opportunity to enjoy this holiday season and that during your busy schedule you are able to spend some time with your family and friends.

Unfortunately, as you know, US Airways’ operations over Christmas, especially in PHL, was nothing short of a fiasco. As an employee and as a pilot I am embarrassed by the actions that resulted in the disrespectful treatment of our customers. We did not make the tremendous sacrifices in LOA 93, which will provide for the successful transformation of this airline, to be squandered. I assure you that your union will demand that the atrocity that occurred in PHL will be fully investigated and those responsible for the damage to our airline will be held accountable for their actions.

But I also am extremely proud of how our pilots responded to the crisis. Many of you continue to volunteer to help restore confidence in our airline. US Airways pilots performed their jobs as they always do, providing safe, reliable and dependable transportation to our valued customers. Your consistent sense of responsibility to our passengers was the untold story during the Christmas holiday, and was unfortunately overshadowed by the problems experienced over the weekend. Pilots are flying extra sections to move stranded passengers and baggage, taking you away from your families, just to make sure that people traveling with bags and gifts could arrive at their destinations as soon as possible. Pilots are also volunteering their vehicles to deliver rerouted baggage to the homes of our anxious customers.

This is our airline and many of you have demonstrated by your actions this weekend, just how passionate we are about keeping it that way. You have carried out all that has been asked of you and then some. And while I know you aren’t asking for any recognition and praise for simply doing the job that people have come to expect of you, I want to thank you just the same.

A lot of our pilots continue to call and email, asking what they can do to help restore our customers’ trust in our airline. In response to the overwhelming request by employees desiring to help our company recover from the operational disruption last week, the company has put into place a process for those wanting to assist in an appropriate manner. About 150 employees have committed to “Operation Recovery†so far.

Two groups have been established to respond to the current situation. One group is focusing on operations and performing related administrative functions. Employees who wish to volunteer should call dialnet between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 359-3020 or 1-800-327-0117 and choose prompts 1-5-8-2.

The other group is handling customer relations functions such as meeting and greeting customers in the airport ticket counter area, responding to questions and concerns, serving coffee and refreshments and helping at security checkpoints and directing traffic. Employees who wish to volunteer for these activities should call dialnet 872-5067 or 872-7411 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

As pilots we are no strangers to the operational abnormalities in PHL. We have been bringing this issue to management since the “Convair Days!†We have participated in countless task forces and committees to address the problems in PHL. We have filled out volumes of operational irregularity forms, made numerous trips to the PHL Chief Pilots Office, emailed everyone from the CEO down to the individual monitoring PHL Ramp Tower, and all to no avail. And while it may not be fair to attribute the travesty of this past weekend to the “Philly Factor,†enough is enough!

We have invested all we have into this airline. Too much is at stake not to demand accountability for this past weekend and the dismal performance we have witnessed in PHL throughout the years. We deserve the company’s undivided attention to our legitimate concerns. Certainly our passengers who travel through our busiest hub deserve better. We have reached the point of intolerance with short-term fixes. And we need real solutions now.

I will make sure that Mr. Lakefield knows how passionate we are about saving this airline and really fixing the problem in PHL. No one has a better understanding of the operation than those of us in the cockpit. I will remind Mr. Lakefield that ALPA and the US Airways pilots expect to be partners in instituting necessary changes to permanently repair the Philadelphia operation.

I will continue to work to ensure that ALPA’s a part of any solution, whether it’s in the PHL operation, scheduling, or delivering superior customer service. We’re continuing to monitor our investment in this airline. We cannot allow our sacrifices to be wasted. And the events of last weekend cannot happen again.

Thanks for listening, thanks for your concern and I’ll speak with you again soon.

USA320Pilot said:
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 2:55 AM
Subject: 29 December MEC Chairman Message

As pilots we are no strangers to the operational abnormalities in PHL. We have been bringing this issue to management since the “Convair Days!â€￾ We have participated in countless task forces and committees to address the problems in PHL. We have filled out volumes of operational irregularity forms, made numerous trips to the PHL Chief Pilots Office, emailed everyone from the CEO down to the individual monitoring PHL Ramp Tower, and all to no avail. And while it may not be fair to attribute the travesty of this past weekend to the “Philly Factor,â€￾ enough is enough!

We have invested all we have into this airline. Too much is at stake not to demand accountability for this past weekend and the dismal performance we have witnessed in PHL throughout the years. We deserve the company’s undivided attention to our legitimate concerns. Certainly our passengers who travel through our busiest hub deserve better. We have reached the point of intolerance with short-term fixes. And we need real solutions now.
The Chairman is speaking for ALL work groups. Enough IS enough. Al, are you there? Are you listening?

ITRADE said:
So you're saying that Al Crellin is responsible for the sick-out and the folks who have decided to burn their sick time while they can?
[post="233768"][/post]​
Itrade, your blind loyalty to this management team is legendary.

When it comes to that character everyone and their mother feels he should go, it's even stated in that article I just posted.

Fire up your radio and clear your head.... :p

Curt

ITRADE said:
So you're saying that Al Crellin is responsible for the sick-out and the folks who have decided to burn their sick time while they can?
[post="233768"][/post]​

I am saying that like the bashers that go too far in tearing the company down, there are folks like you and USA320 that choose to go too far in defending the company. For years PHL has had major problems on the slowest day. If you don't know this you "ain't" been paying attention. If we stay in business I think the problems will get a little more attention now. Like I said in another post, it's very sad it took something like this to get the attention.

ITRADE said:
[post="233768"][/post]​

No, but he and others at the top are responsible for allowing this company to reach the point that the actions of a relative handful could turn what would have merely been an atrocious situation into an abominable one.

Jim

Alan W. Crellin
Executive Vice President - Operations

Alan Crellin is US Airways' executive vice president - operations. He is responsible for all US Airways airport locations, dining and cabin services, aircraft utility personnel, flight, in-flight, maintenance, safety, and the company's state-of-the-art Operations Control Center located in Pittsburgh.

deano said:
Itrade, your blind loyalty to this management team is legendary.

When it comes to that character everyone and their mother feels he should go, it's even stated in that article I just posted.

Fire up your radio and clear your head.... :p

Curt
[post="233772"][/post]​

What blind loyalty are you talking about? I have none. I can easily pull my $$$ and walk on over to American or United any day of the week.

My loyalty is to work ethic, not being a pathetic slob who doesn't show up for work, walks off the job and leaves his coworkers holding the bag.

ITRADE said:
What blind loyalty are you talking about? I have none. I can easily pull my $$$ and walk on over to American or United any day of the week.

My loyalty is to work ethic, not being a pathetic slob who doesn't show up for work, walks off the job and leaves his coworkers holding the bag.
[post="233793"][/post]​

You messed up itrade.....That would be holding the BAGS, in the plural :p

I don’t know how big a man you are, but I would bet a months pay you wouldn’t have the balls to say that straight in their face out there in Philly Land. I am no slouch at 200 lbs without fat and would be hard pressed to spout off those words to “menâ€￾ who have and are being abused by a ruthless clueless pathetic management team.

Itrade
I have copied two paragraphs from the MEC message above. I am not a pilot so apparently other work groups see a problem that has existed for years as well. Are you saying there is no problem? Should we just ignore it? Please explain what should be done to make it work. A lot of different folks have urged our leaders to fix the situation but so far nothing.
So, How do you get USAirways management to fix it?
Or, Do we just ignore it?

The MEC made a direct comment about PHL's disfunctional history...it goes back to the days of "The Convair".

Hmmm...PI and PSA didn't fly'em....and Allegheney the fore-runner of USair hasn't flown them since the early 1960's. 40 plus years later , PHL is still a mess...and only fools make blanket statements about this being the IAM's fault.

Yes...80 Ramp workers called out sick...and they as individuals should have to show proof of an actual illness...or suffer accordingly. However , The IAM which is made up of far more than just 80 rampers in PHL is being called out by certain bafoons here to suffer for the actions of a select few at one station/hub.

The one and only issue is to get the "Philly Factor" fixed in a hell of a quick hurry..otherwise we are all going to suffer , that includes USA320deleted and all the other blanket-punishmnet zealots with far too much free time on their hands.

USA320Pilot said:
This is MEC Chairman Bill Pollock with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Wednesday, December 29th.

I assure you that your union will demand that the atrocity that occurred in PHL will be fully investigated and those responsible for the damage to our airline will be held accountable for their actions.

As pilots we are no strangers to the operational abnormalities in PHL. We have been bringing this issue to management since the “Convair Days!â€￾ We have participated in countless task forces and committees to address the problems in PHL. We have filled out volumes of operational irregularity forms, made numerous trips to the PHL Chief Pilots Office, emailed everyone from the CEO down to the individual monitoring PHL Ramp Tower, and all to no avail.
[post="233757"][/post]​

This is almost as good as his message that asked the pilots to voluntarily fly extra hours, and at the end of his message reminded everyone of the exact number of pilots on furlough.

No one has paid any attention to their (pilots) complaints before, and no one will now. Don't feel bad Pollock, the company never addressed concerns from FSA all those years either.

Atlantic said:
AAA had C-580's in and out of PHL untill 1977, or early 1978 as I remember.
[post="233838"][/post]​

Yup,

I have a postcard of an American Eagle CV-580....but the issue was the historical timeline of U's mess in relaton to PHL....not a history lesson on AA/AE and its long lived adventures with the Convair Brand (LOL)