ALPA MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - January 28

C

chipmunn

US Airways ALPA MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - January 28, 2003
This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, January 28, with two new items:

Item 1. In anticipation of management filing a motion to terminate the pilots’ pension plan in bankruptcy court, and that management is seeking ALPA’s agreement to a plan termination and to a defined contribution plan, MEC Chairman Bill Pollock sent US Airways President and CEO David Siegel a letter on Friday stating that the termination of our plan will cause our pilots to lose substantial benefits that the pilots have already earned, even with a defined contribution plan as suggested by management.
The letter states that this proposed action by the Company would take away the pilots’ accrued benefits, which we have bought and paid for during our careers, while leaving the pensions of the other employee groups and management’s intact.
Although the pilots’ pension plan costs have remained the same because of concessions, as in the original plan conditionally approved by the ATSB, the costs for other employees’ pension benefits have increased substantially. However, management still proposes to terminate the pilots’ plan. Captain Pollock’s letter requests that management immediately direct its resources toward fully protecting the pension benefits already earned by the US Airways pilots.
Please note that the 60 day notice that will be required by the PBGC prior to the termination of the pilots retirement plan is not valid under ALPA objection. This issue will not be resolved in matter of days, as management is trying to suggest, it will take whatever time the MEC determines is appropriate to preserve our pilots’ benefits. Expect a report on the MEC’s activity at its special meeting convening this afternoon at the ALPA offices in Herndon.
Item 2. The Comm Center will be reactivated as early as this afternoon or tomorrow in response to the Company’s indications that it will take action to terminate the pilots’ pension plan. The telephone number is 800 USAIR MEC. Access to the Comm Center is restricted to US Airways pilots only and will be verified by Comm Center staff. The hours of operation will be 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. eastern time.
Please remember we have 1,748 pilots on furlough, with 79 pilot furloughs scheduled for February 4.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/28/2003 10:15:33 PM PineyBob wrote:

[rant on]

Oh well it looks like I'd best fax that request to be comped to Platnium Elite on CO, After all the hard work we appear to be circling the drain. 150,000 passengers per day, 29,000 employees SOL because 4,000 pilots have to have it their way! And it's not even Burger King! Which BTW is where alot of you will end up! I have much to say, but the level of anger prevents me from speaking in an appropriate manner. Bunch of arrogant, prima donna hypocrits!

I used to date a flight nurse in the Air Force and had opportunity to meet quite a few pilots. You could pick them out by their arrogant swagger and egomanical attitude towards women and others. Seems that behavior carries over to civilian life.

So to all of you pilot types how does it feel to know that your group alone will be responsible for 29,000 people losing their jobs? Many of them so called "Union brothers & Sisters" You should change the lyrics to "Solidarity Forever" to Solidarity as long as you're not a pilot. Sounds like you are warming up for an opera! Me me me Me!

[rant off]
----------------
[/blockquote]
It is actually less than 100,000 pax per day now. The rest of the post is so full of sterotypical nonsense it does not deserve a reply.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/28/2003 9:13:01 PM chipmunn wrote:

Please note that the 60 day notice that will be required by the PBGC prior to the termination of the pilots retirement plan is not valid under ALPA objection. This issue will not be resolved in matter of days, as management is trying to suggest,
----------------
[/blockquote]

Chip,

In your opinion how would the ALPA MEC handle another one of Bronner's "take the plan were offering or we'll liquidate" threats?

Tug

[blockquote]
----------------

[rant on]
Oh well it looks like I'd best fax that request to be comped to Platnium Elite on CO,
[rant off]
----------------
[/blockquote]

Bob why does it appear that your taking this so personal? If I didn't know better Id say you were an employee about ready to lose your job.

All you have to do is "fax that request to be comped to Platnium Elite on CO" and virtually nothing in your life will have changed. Don't get me wrong Im not trying to slam you in anyway.

Just thought Id ask.

Tug

Well lets hope our four thousand pilots will be happy with the loss of a pension and a salary. We have all come a long way. To through it all away now seems like such a wasted effort on everyones part.I/we can only hope that the MEC and Management will solve this problem.But it doesn't look like that will happen.

Good Luck To All

[blockquote]
----------------

..........Bunch of arrogant, prima donna hypocrits!

I used to date a flight nurse in the Air Force and had opportunity to meet quite a few pilots. You could pick them out by their arrogant swagger and egomanical attitude towards women and others. Seems that behavior carries over to civilian life.

So to all of you pilot types how does it feel to know that your group alone will be responsible for 29,000 people losing their jobs? Many of them so called Union brothers & Sisters.

--------------
[/blockquote]

Mr. Piney 'Cockroach' Bob:

With all due respect, sir. This is not your fight. I take great exception to your categorization of all pilot "types" with their arrogant swagger and egomanical attitudes toward women. Just out of curiosity, what about the female pilots? Can you pick them out, too? Do they have that same arrogant swagger and attitude?

Bob, you're referring to a group of people that have agreed to a number of sizeable concessions and during those agreements they'd had the understanding that, contracturally, they were to have pension protection. It appears that management is revoking the most integral portion of that agreement. The pilots absolutely have no choice here, they must take a stand on this issue. It will only be a matter of course before this management rapes and pillages what is left of the next work group's pension/pay/benefits.

The only thing this managment has shown that it can effectively do, thus far, is break union contracts and renege on promises. That is not traditionally what one would consider to be "management" and quite frankly, it is not the way to treat employees or run this or any other airline.

Finally, Bob, please back off on the broad brush pilot bashing. You owe the pilots of US Airways a huge apology. They do not deserve your wrath.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 12:03:41 AM PineyBob wrote:

Even though I respect your opinions very much Slam&Click on this I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I can live with that, Bob. Thank you for your respect and kind response.

Bob,

I have read a number of your post's and its obvious you are an intelligent well informed individual voicing his opinion as you have every right to.

The only problem is you dont feel our pain. Whereas you may have had set backs in your career (who hasn't), you dont have to go to work on a daily basis and deal with all the doom and gloom a U employee has to deal with.

Right now Im working with people that are having to work every swap they can possibly pick up or get a second full time job so their families can maintain a descent lifestyle.

A buddy of mine bought a house when times were good and he was making money hand over fist but because we've taken it in the shorts so much he's had to do things like turn his over phone off and cut back on groceries and now he's talking about selling his car just so he can keep up with his mortgage. That's the type of pain Im talking about.

IMO it just doesn't seem right for an outsider to come in and criticize one group or another because that particular group is doing what's best for them. Again this is my opinion, one that Im entitled to just the same as your entitled to yours.

As for me Ive been busy with maintaining my Local's web site after working on that I try to spend as much time with my family as I possibly can. I realized that coming to this board reading the pain and frustration of many of my coworkers are having to endure only brings me down.

As I stated earlier Im not trying to slam you or tell you what can or cannot say Im just asking you to be a little bit more understanding of our dilemma.

Thanks

Tug

PineyBob, I can't believe your feelings were hurt when a pilot did not return your hello. I assure you he/she did not hear you. Maybe they were off deep in thought concerned for their job or pension? As for that "swagger", go over to Afgahnistan and tell it to the fighter pilots who dropped bombs yesterday or to the thousands of arrogant guys and gals who will see combat in the next few weeks so that you can be free to sell your wares. And guess what? About 50% of those pilots will be airline pilots called to duty. This is about the most childish thing I have ever heard...If I did not know better, I would think you were an airline employee. I started to notice something was wrong with your posts when you started to use sterotypical language last week. I don't think you are who you say; I think you are a furloughed airline employee. I does not matter, but I think you are certainly wearing a mask of "false bravado."

Speaking on annonymity I can state that PineyBob is who and what he says he is, as I have actually spoken with him on a few calls. He has every right to state his opinion and concerns as do you. I,with him, am curious what the pilots are thinking, and what other work group still has a pension left? Mine has been gone for years, the only "blessing" I have is that if we do go CH7 and liquidate, I will be working for at least another year beyond that point and possibly more, while the pilots and all others enjoy extended vacations.

[blockquote]
Chip,

In your opinion how would the ALPA MEC handle another one of Bronner's "take the plan were offering or we'll liquidate" threats?

Tug
----------------
[/blockquote]

I wonder this as well. It appears the new pension plan will cut pilot benefits substantially when added to the old plan. Basically the company is not offering much except take it or leave it. Is there any real chance the pilots will say no?

To me it seems the most likely outcome is that the pilots force the company to create a default in all the plans for fairness reasons.

Further, I thought the ATSB said they would not give the loan if US dumped their liability on the PBGC?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 8:34:01 AM tug_slug wrote:

Bob,

I have read a number of your post's and its obvious you are an intelligent well informed individual voicing his opinion as you have every right to.

The only problem is you dont feel our pain.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Thats one reason I like reading his posts. He offers an objective third party view on our issues...

I wonder how many of those who are bashing the pilots now, voted no on the last vote? Also, those of you who say they lost their pension. Was it frozen or taken away? Those of you who still have a pension, what would you do if the company came after it? I am sure you would give it up with a smile.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 8:34:01 AM tug_slug wrote:

The only problem is you dont feel our pain.
A buddy of mine bought a house when times were good and he was making money hand over fist but because we've taken it in the shorts so much he's had to do things like turn his over phone off and cut back on groceries and now he's talking about selling his car just so he can keep up with his mortgage. That's the type of pain Im talking about.

----------------
[/blockquote]
TUG,this isn't intended as a slam in any way...i hear the same complaints around the base....but i think WE are all partially to blame here.i'm talking fiscal irresponsibility.granted,no one wants pay cuts and the like but alot of these problems are self inflicted.living from pay to pay just doesn't make it in this climate.its hard not to want things when the pay is good and you are trying to raise a family.especially with kids.
my local president told me when we got the employee assistance program..the biggest problem wasn't booze or drugs but finacial problems.they were floored that people making the kind of money we all do would have all these money problems and have to seek credit counseling and intervention.so please when you want some to "feel our pain"...take a step back and think how did this pain come about.
pay cuts did hurt without a doubt...but just like that fateful morning in NY on 9-11,it just brought things that were already out of control to a quick and nasty end.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 11:49:36 AM retread wrote: Those of you who still have a pension, what would you do if the company came after it? I am sure you would give it up with a smile.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Not wth a smile. But if your asking if the choice is between my pension and liquidation thats easy.