Alpa Mec Meeting Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today’s MEC meeting began with Master Chairman Bill Pollock providing opening comments and introductions.

Then the MEC resumed their question and answer session of the Negotiating Committee and advisors regarding the Tentative Agreement (TA). The first speaker was Pittsburgh First Officer Rep John Brookman who spoke for about an hour before Pollock cut him off because he exceeded his speaker time. Brookman attempted to discredit the agreement, but the advisors disputed each of Brookman’s arguments.

The next speaker was Washington First Officer Rep Don Baier. Baier asked reasonable questions to the advisors discussing what would happen "down this road" if this tentative agreement is not sent out to the membership and ratified, in regard to Section 1113(e) and 1113© of the bankruptcy code.

ALPA investment banker and financial advisor Michael Glanzer said, "the lenders will not lend money into civil wars or give money to a company with irrational leaders, if you pass on this agreement - the 'ask' will get a lot worse - if the company does not liquidate."

The New York First Officer Rep Ray Belz made of "point of information" and asked the advisors a question. "Is it not so that the (recent Philadelphia) Council 41 information and chart that is on the Internet misinformation?

Both ALPA bankruptcy counsel Richard Seltzer and general counsel Mike Abram discuss the Philadelphia Rep’s most recent misleading and misinformation campaign and try to explain to the pilots (and to the Philadelphia Reps for the umpteenth time) the difference between S.1113(e) and S.1113© of the bankruptcy code. "The chart in the Philadelphia Rep info sheet is not correct because it compares the S.1113(e) filing (interim cash relief) with the TA. The TA should be compared with the S.1113© filing (which is permanent) and the TA. If the company seeks S.1113©relief, the relief will be a lot worse than the document you have before you," Abram said.

"If this Tentative Agreement is not sent out for pilot ratification the bankruptcy judge would not look kindly to that," Seltzer noted.

Glanzer then commented that "if this tentative agreement is not sent out to the pilots the creditors will liquidate this airline."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The MEC recessed, took a break, and the meeting resumed around 2:00 p.m. The question and answer session continues and here are more highlights:

Seltzer said, “If you do not send this out the judge would take this very, very negatively."

Glanzer interrupted and said that “more importantly is the creditor side. If you do not send this out the lenders will try to liquidate this. This falls into the 'no brainer' category.â€

Brookman then comments “I have been told that there is a lender out there that would loan us money if we do not put this out.â€

Glanzer says “that is not true.â€

Brookman then asks Glanzer “are you saying that if this is passed there will be an investor?â€

Glanzer and Brookman then went back an forth in slightly raised voices on this issue with Glanzer stating there is no (other) investor (than the ATSB).

Charlotte Captain Rep Mike Cross then asks for a “point of informationâ€.

To the advisors “haven't our financial returns decreased as we moved forward?â€

Pollock: “Yes.â€

Cross to Glanzer: "If we would have done this deal early would we have given less?

Glanzer: Yes I believe so. Your Negotiating Committee and MEC (RC4) negotiated as if the tougher you were the less you would give. Glanzer then said that was not signed on by all (meaning the advisors). “We can not change where we are - if you are imposed upon on October 7, do not believe that as being a good circumstance. The ATSB and GE want out of this with their money,†Glanzer said.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Belz then said, “We need to do what is in the best interest of the pilots. I am here for solutions -- not to create problems. I am here as an elected Rep, elected by the US Airways pilots. My job is to act in the best interest of the pilots. I have a judiciary responsibility to these (pointing to the line pilots) pilots to do the correct thing. Gentlemen this is unionism at it's worst. Unless you are from Mars or as Michael Glanzer said “brain deadâ€￾ you have to know what you should do. I believe doing anything less would not be in the best interest of the pilots. We need to vote on this and we need to send it out to the pilots and to expedite the process today.â€￾

When Belz finished his emotional comments he received a standing ovation from the audience. The meeting is now getting emotional and there could be actions taken against the RC4. In addition, county police are now present.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Police?! Jeez, as I said before, just send the damn thing out already and be done with it.

Right now there about 70 rank-and-file pilot's at the MEC meeting. No one, not one person supports the RC4's position. Walmartgreeter, where are you?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

All Hail the Great USA320Pilot.

He knows all, sees all...

Follow him, he knows what is best for everyone.....

USA320Pilot said:
In addition, county police are now present.

At the airport? Who knew? :rolleyes:

Of course, if they are present it speaks volumes about the character of the 70 or so pilots in attendence--something you might have considered before writing the aforementioned missive.

USA320Pilot said:
Right now there about 70 rank-and-file pilot's at the MEC meeting. No one, not one person supports the RC4's position. Walmartgreeter, where are you?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="187951"][/post]​

He is talking to his boss to put in a good word for you regarding your application. He gave me a call to let me give you an update. Sad to say, his boss just doesn't seem to be receptive to your application. But Walmartgreeter is gonna continue his efforts on your behalf.

I'll post more when I get another update.

Regards,

Phoenix

We need some Global Express and GV Captains......Any body at US have this experience? I will be sad to see this happen, but it is what it is.

USA320Pilot said:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="187951"][/post]​

NO CLUE BY 4 IS RIGHT...! :huh:

You must have lied once again, such a meeting could NEVER have existed in PIT, NO WAY. OR... THEY MUSTA TOLD THE WRONG ROOM NUMBER to the many hundreds of RC4 supporters that obviously would have shown up, errr if they knew the right room number.

Or, ummm, or... :blink: dammit :angry:

Geeze, you know something... <_<

The RC4 might have been elected by a majority vote, in the two largest councils awhile back, but there is a chance that they no longer agree with the majority opinion... :unsure:

So, I guess there is only one way to deal with this, is there...?

:up: VOTE TIME...! :up:

Philadelphia Captain Rep John Crocker is now asking Michael Glanzer the same questions we have heard over and over at the recent MEC meetings.

I will not bother you with all the questions but the answers are all the same - no body is out there to help us and if we are at risk without this TA going out for vote and the deal being accepted by the pilots.

Crocker then asked Seltzer what is the chance of the judge approving the S.1113(e) motion. Seltzer (in a slightly raised voice (probably because he has said this so many times) - said if the company asks for it they will get it. He noted that the company filed additional information with the bankruptcy court last night and management changed their position. The company told the court that they will not be able to operate past January if they do not get S.1113(e) labor contract relief.

Separately, in regard to rank-and-file support of the RC4, I encourage every reader to call the ALPA code-a-phone at 800-FOR-ALPA, then select prompt 2. Listen to MEC chairman Bill Pollock's October 4 message about how the majority of the pilot's feel about their right to vote and Pollock's comments directed at the RC4.

The company's new S.1113(e) position could not be strengthened by energy prices, could it? Here comes a 23% pay cut for any union without an agreement, right before the holidays.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The next speaker is Philadelphia First Officer Rep Dan Von Bargen who is suing ALPA along with Pittsburgh Captain Rep Fred Freshwater for the termination of the DB pension plan. Van Bargen asked the advisors a series of questions on whether or not certain portions of the TA are age discriminatory. Abram’s answered all of his questions and said “noâ€￾.

Next Von Bergen asks Abram’s questions about Allegheny - Mohawk LPP’s and the loss of scope, which was still contained in the company’s September 6 proposal, but was lost when the RC4 voted to not send out the proposal for vote on September 6.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The company told the court that they will not be able to operate past January if they do not get S.1113(e) labor contract relief.
Oil at 50$ a Barrel = Even less time to screw around.

And... IF we do not have agreements in place leading into the Holiday Season, the News will point it out (always enough reporters out there looking for a scare angle), and guess how many passengers will count on US Airways to get them where they want to go for the holidays...

nada :(