ALPA Post Seniority Integration Award Information

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC Code-a-Phone Update - May 4, 2007

This is Arnie Gentile with a US Airways MEC update for Friday, May 4th, with three new items.

Item 1. It is not business as usual. MEC Chairman, Jack Stephan has recorded a second MEC Chairman’s Message in as many days which can be listened to by pressing prompt 2 on the code-a-phone. This message will also be posted in What’s new and emailed to all pilots.

Item 2. After concerns raised by the MEC with regard to the ramifications of the seniority list award, MEC Chairman Jack Stephan has called a special MEC meeting for Sunday, May 6th and Monday, May 7th. The meeting will begin at 4 p.m. on May 6th and will adjourn on May 7th at 6 pm or at the completion of business.

The agenda for the meeting is a review of the Seniority Integration Opinion and Award with the Merger Committee and Advisors.

The special MEC meeting will be held at the Crowne Plaza , 2200 Centreville Road , Herndon , VA 20170 , phone: 703-471-6700.

US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman's Message - May 4, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Friday, May 04, 2007.

About 24 hours ago I was informed that George Nicolau had released the award for the seniority integration of the AAA and AWA pilots. It didn’t take me very long to make a diagnosis of the list and the volume of calls and emails that I received today indicate that it didn’t take you long either. Let me begin by saying that I share in your outrage and your indignation. It is incomprehensible to me how the arbitrator arrived at such tortured logic.

The list and reward are ripe with targets of blatant unfairness from the top to bottom of this ridiculous list, but the most glaring to me is the plight of our junior first officers and our furloughed pilots. These pilots paid the ultimate price for our restructurings, our survival and our newfound profitability. They bore the immediate and rancorous brunt of our management’s greed and incompetence. And yet now they find themselves junior to AWA pilots who have not even come close to matching the magnitude of their contribution to the “new us airways†(intended lack of capitalization!)

So where do we go from here? Your MEC is equally incensed and have planned to convene in session this Sunday to address the situation we all find our selves in. After conferring with the other MEC Officers and key committee members, I intend on presenting the MEC with my ideas on a revised battle plan. And after speaking with many of them today, I know that they have some innovations of their own that they would like to explore. One thing is for certain; we will not just sit back and remain victims of this travesty. We will explore all opportunities and options available to us. That is my commitment to you. And as always, we’ll report back to you after your leadership has explored all possible courses of action.

Here comes the hard part of this message. I understand that I and your MEC have asked much from this pilot group. And never before in our history have our pilots responded with such support and with such enthusiastic participation. But as your chairman, it is my responsibility to ask you for more, to stay the course, even during this most trying of times. I need to remind you that management would like nothing more than for the incredible amount of solidarity building that has taken place on this property to unravel over our response to the seniority award. They would like nothing more than for our members to turn their backs on each other and their union. They would like nothing more than for you to reconsider the side you have chosen.

Management expects you will lose sight of your goals, that your interest in the war to achieve a fair contract will dwindle. Help me deliver the message to management that they should never underestimate the strength of your resolve. Let’s take our indignation out on the real target and remind management that we are prepared to engage in a long hot summer.

So look out for each other out there. Keep your families first. As always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

PHL Council 41 Chairman's Update - May 4, 2007

Dear Fellow Pilots,

I want to assure each and every one of you - right down to the very last pilot - on the US Airways seniority list how I recognize we now have a crisis of unimaginable, unmanageable proportions on our hands. Within hours I will be calling for a meeting of our MEC together with the other Captain representatives of the MEC in order to initiate an immediate plan of action.

I urge ALL of my fellow captains on this property to please listen very carefully to your first officers during this time of crisis for your fellow crewmembers.

To those of you in shock or dealing with serious emotional issues, i.e. anger, depression, etc., I will be putting out a special Fastread on Employee Assistance help available to you in your time of need. These are exactly the types of issues for EAP to help you with.

Fellow Captains, now more than ever before, it is time for you to share the burden of leadership on this property. Sit up, listen and pay close attention, educate yourself, get involved and empathize! Make the time to try to imagine yourself in the shoes of your First Officers. Understand that not one of us has paid a price so dear in order that this new entity, US Airways, be created, than the pilot to your right and his fellow furloughee. They are in desperate need of our support NOW.

Eric Rowe
Captain
US Airways
US Airways ALPA Council 41 Chairman

Regards,

USA320Pilot

IBT/CWA Passenger Service Association has date of hire seniority. Don't give up this fight ! Voice your opinions asap to the above mentioned names. May God be with you on this one.

IBT/CWA Passenger Service Association has date of hire seniority. Don't give up this fight ! Voice your opinions asap to the above mentioned names. May God be with you on this one.

All they can really do at this point is withdraw from negotiations and keep the airlines separate. That at least will maintain two seniority lists.

Not agreeing with the ALPA "experts" now 320? You know the ones you constantly quoted during your GAG debacle.

Your union "experts" seem to have cost you dearly. Close to 1000 numbers from what I figure.

You think you'll have the balls to stand and fight now? Or is this another "live to fight another day" moment for you and your GAG.

At some point an event happens that draws ALL pilots together and focuses them. I wonder if this will stir the GAG to action or if they will continue to blindly do anything to save their jobs.

I can tell you this: The 57% just dwindled to substantially less than that. My sincere hope is that all the professionals at LCC finally wake up and fight for their livelihoods.

Can you and your boys finally do that 320? Is it time yet?

pilot

Dear Fellow Pilot,

It is my understanding that ALPA International can reject Arbitrator Nicolau’s seniority list. Furthermore, it has come to my attention that ALPA President Captain John Prater’s office is being besieged by US Airways pilots who are informing his secretary of their outrage and indignation with the seniority list integration Opinion & Award.

Therefore, I strongly recommend on Monday that each of you take a few minutes to contact Captain Prater’s office at (703) 689- 2270 or 888-FLY-ALPA and key in “PRAâ€￾. Please let his staff know your concerns and urge him to reject the new list.

Moreover, the timing of calling on Monday or leaving a voice mail message over the weekend is important because the US Airways ALPA MEC will be in special session at ALPA Headquarters on Sunday and Monday and I bet John Prater will be invited to attend.

Please take the time to call.

Regards

Dear Fellow Pilot,

It is my understanding that ALPA International can reject Arbitrator Nicolau’s seniority list. Furthermore, it has come to my attention that ALPA President Captain John Prater’s office is being besieged by US Airways pilots who are informing his secretary of their outrage and indignation with the seniority list integration Opinion & Award.

Therefore, I strongly recommend on Monday that each of you take a few minutes to contact Captain Prater’s office at (703) 689- 2270 or 888-FLY-ALPA and key in “PRAâ€￾. Please let his staff know your concerns and urge him to reject the new list.

Moreover, the timing of calling on Monday or leaving a voice mail message over the weekend is important because the US Airways ALPA MEC will be in special session at ALPA Headquarters on Sunday and Monday and I bet John Prater will be invited to attend.

Please take the time to call.

Regards
Thank you very much for the information. Call's will certainly be made from this home.

It is my understanding that ALPA International can reject Arbitrator Nicolau’s seniority list.

Are you sure?

Are you at the point shown below in the Merger Policy?

"If the two merger committees are unable to reach agreement on a merged list on their own, they may choose to enter a period of mediation, using a professional mediator/ arbitrator agreed to by both merger committees or chosen through the alternate strike process.If mediation fails, the final step is arbitration, generally before a threemember board, consisting of the outside professional neutral and two ALPA members from other airlines—one chosen by each of the merging pilot groups. The Arbitration Board conducts hearings and then issues a final and binding award.

“ALPA merger policy is a success story—it provides a process where there otherwise wouldn’t be one,†Cohen says. “Given the history of consolidation in this industry, the fact that the Association has an accepted and working process speaks volumes about the ALPA Merger and Fragmentation Policy.â€

Unfortunately, some pilots believe that, during seniority integration as a result of a merger, ALPA’s national leaders or other pilots can “put their thumb on the scale†and influence the outcome of the seniority integration process. Sometimes pilots have sued ALPA over the results of a merger.

“We’ve never lost a case arising out of a merger in which ALPA merger policy has been applied,†Cohen points out, “because the courts have recognized that ALPA merger policy does, in fact, lay out this fair and impartial process.â€"

ALPA Merger Policy

Of course, not much point in paying dues to an organization that fails to represent you. <shrug>

So even if the decision can't be overturned, ALPA could be decertified or, at the very least, individual pilots could resign from the association and save 2% per year.

I'd call anyway. What have you got to lose?

A penny saved is a penny earned. :down:

Are you sure?

I wonder that myself. ALPA at its tricks again?

ALPA may just be putting out some false hope (much like the company does) to help quiet the restless natives and quell the mass exodus.

There are a couple thousand pilots who are ready to give the two hand one finger salute, and ALPA is the prime target of that emotion. ALAP better come up with a way to deflect it or their coffers just lost several thousand monthly contributors.

Dear Fellow Pilot,

It is my understanding that ALPA International can reject Arbitrator Nicolau’s seniority list.

Regards

Is it possible that Mr. Nicolau's advanced age has clouded his judgement in arbitration matters?

I understand he is well into his 80's. Could it be that this outrageous list was created by an unsound mind?

I mean it as a serious question. If an Arbitrator is of unsound mind, how can the settlement be binding? Particularly when the arbitrated settlement is so egregious.

Traditionally, a merged list is spot on when everyone is equally upset at the result. Clearly in this case the upset is heavily one-sided, with enormous gains for AWA pilots. Has senility crept in to the process?