Alpa Rig Grievance

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
The question sent in to Bill Pollack was this :

Bill,
You gave the company 60 days to make the pairings worth more.. It sounds like they are worth much less after 60 days. In fact the company is now making block holders fly 19 days a month. A serious change in life style for them too.

any comments? You need to address your answer to the group.

Bill's Response:

Please feel free to forward.

You misstate the application of the 60 day extension of our right to file a “timelyâ€￾ grievance. The 60 days was never intended to give anyone time to simply make the pairings worth more, it was to give the company an opportunity to do the right thing so that we could keep this dispute out of the expensive, time-consuming and occasionally unrewarding grievance process.

When I met with Doug Mowery, Don Hollerbach and Chip Mayer across the table from the four senior managers in the company, we sat down to make our case that the application of the V/M-DH was not what we agreed to and that the trips were non-productive too – the pilots are getting a beating coming and going. One argument we thought useful was that if the company was relying on the value in a “cellâ€￾ of a spreadsheet to make their argument about the value of this component of the negotiation, we would argue that if the trips were built correctly in the first place, their value to V/M, duty rig, trip rig, etc. would be smaller or negligible, thereby refuting the value in the spreadsheet “cell.â€￾ As we opened the discussion, the senior managers from agreed with us that the trips were not what we collectively intended, that they were not as productive as we all thought they would be. They stated that every reasonable effort would be made to fix them. They agreed that if the trips were more productive, the “valueâ€￾ of different rigs and V/M would be reduced. That asked if they could have time to build better pairings and then revisit this issue with us. We agreed to this approach provided that we would not jeopardize our rights to file a grievance to make every pilot “whole.â€￾ To protect our contractual right to file a grievance to make our pilots whole, we asked for, and the company agreed to provide us, a 60 extension on top of the contractual 120 day window in which a grievance must be filed to be considered “timely.â€￾

Now, the trip building process has not been as satisfactory as we all had hoped, I can tell you that it’s not for lack of effort, imagination, energy or commitment. Results are painfully slow and the structure behind the pairing construction process is under total review by management, a hired outside consultant and ALPA’s scheduling members. Money, as tight as it is, is being applied to the problem to include finding the very best programming available to solve this problem. Still, we wait.

The fact that the monthly lines are inexcusable is lost on no one. A grievance on the V/M issues is the subject of two different resolutions before the MEC next week. The resolution I wrote is pasted below. I remain hopeful that management will see this issue our way, fix the trips soon, Pay V/M and other rigs as we are accustomed to, get the lines down to 16 days and move forward to our next challenge.

Bill

My MEC resolution:

SUBJECT:

Satisfactorily Resolving the Dead Head vs. Variable Minimum Pay Issue

SOURCE:

Bill Pollock, MEC Chairman

BACKGROUND:

On October 21, 2004, the US Airways pilots ratified Letter of Agreement 93 (LOA 93). This agreement provided for a change to the pay for deadhead flying but did not change, in any form, the time honored provisions of trip rig, duty rig or variable minimum. In fact, the only discussion related to variable minimum that took place during negotiations involved an ALPA initiative to raise variable minimum in the interest of forcing higher productivity by forcing the trip pairing “optimizerâ€￾ to reflect the real cost of non-productive operations. Incidentally, as a central tenant of the pilot transformation discussions and negotiations, both management and ALPA determined that more productive trip parings where an absolute necessity to meet both the needs of the pilots and the competitive transformation needs of the corporation. The implementation of the deadhead pay provision produced an unexpected and unacceptable consequence: the corporation began subtracting from variable minimum pay the reduced value of dead head flying and as a result, pilots’ pay has been harmed due to the calculation methodology. US Airways asserts their calculation methodology is correct and we obviously disagree. We are presently working to resolve this dispute short of the formal grievance procedure which could lead to a lengthy, expensive, unrewarding and permanent outcome. However, ALPA has not surrendered any right nor one cent of pay we know our pilots have earned but have not yet been paid. As of today’s date, February 2, 2005, the situation is as follows: our expectation stands that all pilots will be made “wholeâ€￾. We are working tirelessly to fix the trips so that quality of life improves with better more productive trips, and we are reserving our right to file a grievance if we do not settle this dispute otherwise. Management has asked for the opportunity to assess the potential for reducing the dollar cost of variable minimum claims through the construction of more productive trips thereby limiting their “financial exposure.â€￾ In the next several weeks we will either see the restoration of our pilots’ proper pay through a settlement, or we will file a grievance to recover it. As you are aware, we sought, and achieved, a 60 day extension on the right to file a grievance that is “timelyâ€￾ under the terms of Section 20 of our Collective Bargaining Agreement.

This resolution is also intended to address some apparent confusion among the pilots (and some LEC Reps) about the status of this issue.

RESOLUTION:

WHEREAS recently ratified Letter of Agreement 93 (LOA 93) provided monumental sacrifices from the US Airway pilots so that US Airways could survive and compete, and

WHEREAS the implementation of LOA 93 changed the practice of determining pay for dead head flying, and

WHEREAS management’s new pay calculation for pilots has adversely impacted the calculation of variable min (and other rigs) in a manner that the Association neither negotiated nor ever agreed to, and

WHEREAS the pilots are rightfully concerned about the resolution of this matter,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that should discussions fail to provide a satisfactory outcome recognizing the contributions and needs of the pilot group, an MEC grievance will be filed prior to the end of the 60 day extension seeking to make “wholeâ€￾ all affected pilots.

And this post explains it all.

This is why the LCC's are making money and the rest are not.

The AFA and the ALPA contracts are so complex no one really
understands them fully.

And the LCC's just sit back and laugh.. Can you blame them?

justaumechanic said:
The AFA and the ALPA contracts are so complex no one really
understands them fully.
[post="253047"][/post]​

Actually, they're not that complex - although I can certainly see how it would seem that way to anyone whose pay is based on hours on the job as opposed to hours actually spend performing their job.

In this case, the contract calls for us being paid an average of 5 hours per period on duty. Hence a 2 day trip must pay 10 hours, a 3 day trip 15 hours, etc.

If the company chooses to have us only fly 13 hours in a three day trip, they must still pay 15 hours. On the other hand, it they schedule us to fly 15:02 in three days, they only have to pay 15:02.

In reality, it is little different from any hourly worker. Joe Blow clocks in for an 8 hour shift and expects to be paid for 8 hours. It's up to the company to schedule the workflow so as to get the maximum utilization from Joe - if they only have him performing his actual work for 5 of the 8 hours, Joe still gets 8 hours pay.

Flight crews are no different - when we "clock in" for a trip we expect to be paid an average of 5 hours for each "shift" in that trip. It's up to the company to schedule us to achieve that. If they don't, we still expect the pay - just like Joe.

Jim

songbirdstew said:
Bill's Response:
Please feel free to forward.

BACKGROUND:

.... as a central tenant of the pilot transformation discussions and negotiations...

[post="252634"][/post]​

I don't normally nitpick stuff that's posted here (although I do have favorite peeves like "moot vs. mute," and "lose vs. loose.") But the esteemed MEC Chairman, who supposedly has a college degree, should not be misusing the English language in formal communications with the company, the media, or his consituents.

Tenant: One who rents real estate from another and holds an estate by virtue of a lease.

Tenet: A principle, belief, or doctrine generally held to be true.

Additionally, USAirways ALPA has a captain on full flight pay loss who supposedly has some expertise in communications. He is the Communications Committee Chairman and is at Pollock's disposal. We also pay legal counsel (great sums) who would probably know the difference between "tenant" and "tenet." I imagine the company takes great comfort and is highly amused when they receive tripe like this from our MEC. It makes all of us look like buffoons.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer insisted that it was STATUE of limitations (not statute,) and that he had, in fact, personal knowledge that an actual sculpture of "limitations" existed on a pedastal somewhere.

Simple solving of the problem:

Pay the pilots an agreed on monthly salary for an agreed on number of days to be worked.

Then follow hours of duty work and rest period rules already in place.

Put this into action in May. Problem solved.

mr

mwereplanes said:

Put this into action in May.  Problem solved.

mr
[post="253100"][/post]​

I have an idea how about USAirways outsource more or all of the mainline flying?

nycbusdriver said:
Tenant:  One who rents real estate from another and holds an estate by virtue of a lease.

Tenet: A principle, belief, or doctrine generally held to be true.
It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer insisted that it was STATUE of limitations (not statute,) and that he had, in fact, personal knowledge that an actual sculpture of "limitations" existed on a pedastal somewhere.
[post="253094"][/post]​

How about steel and steal?

Or sew and sow?

It happens I think of it more that you have a passion about something thinking ahead of yourself and slip up.

Isn't that the tv show about nothing?

mwereplanes said:

Pay the pilots an agreed on monthly salary for an agreed on number of days to be worked.

Then follow hours of duty work and rest period rules already in place.

Put this into action in May. Problem solved.

mr
[post="253100"][/post]​

Our comptetitors beat us by utilizing the assests they have much more efficiently. They turn their aircraft quickly and minimize crew and aircraft changes. They utilize the aircraft much more per day.

If the company would simply attempt to do this we the whole issue of duty rig and other considerations would not matter. ['ll leave moot for someone smater than me.] This company has always chased planned marketing dimes and walked past operating dollars that lie throughout our system.

If you stop and think about it, with the high utilization of Southwest aircraft it means that those aircraft are being flown in markets at times that are less than optimum. The aircraft has to go somewhere, they don't let it sit and they crew doesn't sit. They fly at off peak times in the late morning, middle of the afternoon and late evening and let marketing take a back seat to operational efficiency. They get more work out of all employee groups in less time.

This company needs an operational focus more than a marketing focus.

just my $.02

"Wherever you go; there you are".......Buckaroo Banzi

usairways_vote_NO said:
I have an idea how about USAiways outsource more or all of the mainline flying?
[post="253105"][/post]​

Management already has that idea sparky. And that is precisely what they are attempting to do. And the pilot union either can't see it or is too foolish to believe they are doing it.

The yes voters have allowed it to happen and will continue to allow this management to outsource jobs regardless of what category those jobs fall into.

Pollock has no guts and he truly believes he is helping to "save" U. He, and the yes voters, are actually aiding and abetting the wholesale taking apart of the airline.

Of course, any union is only as strong as its members. And the company understands they have the ability to do practically whatever they want to do with impunity. There were 4 men and their constituents who tried to stop it but in the end they were defeated. Now 320 and his minions can enjoy watching their jobs transferred to Air Wisconsin and the other regionals as the mainline fleet shrinks while the commuter fleet expands. He doesn't get it. Neither do most of the ALPA members.

But they will. By then it will be too late.

mr

The interesting part of all of this..

ALPA fights every single move the company makes at US.. The Pilots represented by ALPA follow their leaders..

Then a pilot from US goes to WN or B6 and they do whatever it takes to get that job.. Clean the cabin, load bags, wash the plane, whatever..

So it's perfectly ok for them to do it at an LCC but they won't do it at US..

That is the problem..

ALPA and AFA.. Your contracts are to complicated.. Wake up..

justaumechanic said:
The interesting part of all of this..

ALPA fights every single move the company makes at US.. The Pilots represented by ALPA follow their leaders..

Then a pilot from US goes to WN or B6 and they do whatever it takes to get that job.. Clean the cabin, load bags, wash the plane, whatever..

So it's perfectly ok for them to do it at an LCC but they won't do it at US..

That is the problem..

ALPA and AFA.. Your contracts are to complicated.. Wake up..
[post="253179"][/post]​

You have no idea what you are talking about. Time to clam up. :angry:

usairways_vote_NO said:
[post="253113"][/post]​

Sorry. I wouldn't know. I thought you were the expert about that.

BTW---

Sow and sew are called homonyms, as are steal and steel.

Tenet and tenant are not, nor are lose/loose.

It's an entirely different matter for those focused enough to see the subtle difference.

And I'll bet you are one of those who carries a "pitcher of the statue of limitations" in your wallet, too.

nycbusdriver said:
...pitcher of the statue of limitations...
[post="253195"][/post]​
Would this count?

Attachments

• 10cmds.jpg
    10cmds.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 96
nycbusdriver said:
[post="253094"][/post]​
usairways_vote_NO said:
[post="253113"][/post]​
nycbusdriver said:
Sorry.  I wouldn't know.  I thought you were the expert about that.
[post="253195"][/post]​

Sorry I didn't realize someone who watched that show didn't know it was a show about nothing. Or did you just read the episodes?. Well now you know (or is that no?)

nycbusdriver said:
BTW---

Sow and sew are called homonyms, as are steal and steel. 

Tenet and tenant are not, nor are lose/loose. 

It's an entirely different matter for those focused enough to see the subtle difference.

And I'll bet you are one of those who carries a "pitcher of the statue of limitations" in your wallet, too.
[post="253195"][/post]​

BTW---

You were commenting on the "misusing the English language" wern't you?

nycbusdriver said:
I don't normally nitpick stuff that's posted here (although I do have favorite peeves like  "moot vs. mute," and "lose vs. loose.")  But the esteemed MEC Chairman, who supposedly has a college degree, should not be misusing the English language in formal communications with the company, the media, or his consituents
[post="253094"][/post]​

Please excuse me I didn't know homonyms were excluded from being misused in the English language or if it was your choice (or choose?) to exclude them from discussion it would be nice if you informed us first.

BTW--- I used sow and sew and steal and steel as examples of misuse because they are two that were recently misused on this site (sight), one of them by me.

Since you are so nitpicky today when you said consituents in the above sentence of yours did you mean---

constituent(s) component: an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system" member of a constituency; a citizen who is represented in a government by officials for whom he or she votes; "needs continued support by constituents to be re-elected" etc etc etc

or consituent(s) which means ???

Actually I carry around a "pitcher of statute of limitations"

usairways_vote_NO said:
or consituent(s) which means ???

Actually I carry around a "pitcher of statute of limitations"
[post="253201"][/post]​

As I said in my first post, I don't nitpick as typos are common on these unofficial posts to message boards. My typo is not going to Lakefield's desk, and if I did have a need to write to him, I would certainly have my composition spell-checked and proofread.

Obviously you feel typos and faulty language is totally acceptable in official, legal communications between labor and management. Me? I vote no!

Latest posts