Alpa Scope Relief

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Expect ALPA to grant EMB-170 and CRJ-700 scope relief shortly, which could permit 25 CRJ-700s, destined for PSA, to be allowed to be flown at PSA or an affiliate carrier. In addition, the EMB-170 may receive relief to be flown at a US Airways Express affiliate carrier, with the likely candidate Chautauqua Airlines.

In addition, ALPA will permit the aircraft identified above to be flown with a 50-50 J4J split, versus staffed 100% by APL pilots.

In return, the company may commit to a minimum MDA EMB-170/175 fleet plan.

These negotiations will remove all obstacles to "spin off" PSA, which will permit the company to pay down the loan guarantee and obtain ATSB EBITDAR relief. Moreover, GECAS has committed to finance all delivery positions unless S&P lowers the credit rating from B- to C+.

Finally, some time in the 2nd quarter, Allegheny/Piedmont could be "spun off" as well.

These moves will improve the company's financial positions, liquidity, loan guarantee restrictions, forward looking debt service, maintain feed/a revenue stream, and eliminate potential corporate combination scope issues. In my opinion, Mesa Air Group or Chautauqua will be the bidding war winner for PSA, the RJ delivery positions, and Allegheny/Piedmont. Furthermore, this will consolidate RJ operators to three companies, MESA, Chautauqua, and TSA.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Expect ALPA to grant EMB-170 and CRJ-700 scope relief shortly, which could permit 25 CRJ-700s, destined for PSA, to be allowed to be flown at PSA or an affiliate carrier. In addition, the EMB-170 may receive relief to be flown at a US Airways Express affiliate carrier, with the likely candidate Chautauqua Airlines.

In addition, ALPA will permit the aircraft identified above to be flown with a 50-50 J4J split, versus staffed 100% by APL pilots.
Nothing like selling out the junior pilots.........again. Why the need to outsource the E-170s? Your rates on them are the lowest in the industry already.

USA320Pilot,

Why would management need relief on the 50/50 ratio for PSA's CRJ-700s? If we're going to be sold, then it is no longer an issue, ALPA has already agreed to a 50/50 ratio on the CRJ700 for the contract carriers.

By-the-way, the first CRJ700 is supposed to arrive in DAY on Monday.

The senior guys are just trying to hold onto a paycheck for as long as possible. The know liquidation is coming.

Burning the scope clause this month. What's it going to be next month? When is there no more furniture to throw into the fire?

Relief implies, that it is causing a burden and needs to be lifted. I suppose that if the "senior" pilots allow this burden to be lifted, they are admitting that they are in fact overly compensated. If the ER170's are allowed to be flown by the regionals (nothing against you guys and gals), the ER190 is next; thus a 737 pilot should only be compensated at $ 58 per flight hour. This should be implemented ot once. The pay scale for the 737 and 319/320 should be immediatly reduced to $ 58 per flight hour and any retirement should reflect that, so that the "senior" pilots get to enjoy what they have brought upon the profession.

Gentlemen and/or Ladies,

Stop this bashing of one another, right now! Only the ignorant would fail to recognize every employee group is an important part of the cog that runs US Airways. In these times we need to support and respect each other. One group is not the enemy or the cause of U's problems. One group does not hold the keys to the kingdom. Solidarity is what we need, not infighting.

Management does a very fine job of attempting devaluing our worth, they do not need help in this area.

So, don't make me get off the couch and come back there!

Mother Dea has spoken

:rolleyes:

28yearsnojob said:
autofixer you are correct they are only worth about 70.00 dollars top per hr
to fly 737 or a320
After 28 years on the job, its sad that you would agree that professionals deserve so little. But frankly, pilots get what they negotiate, and so do mechanics...and if your outsourced so your pay goes to $0.00, should we feel compassion for you?

Denver, CO

Dea,

I'm glad you didn't say you were going to stop the car and smack us upside the head!! That would make me really behave.

Jim

Bob and Jim,

Glad to see you're home early, young men, and not out wreaking havoc on the town! Heaven forbid I should have to put down my "Modern Maturity" magazine and go look for you two!

BTW, I like the trip reports too. I agree with Light Years that it's good to see how we're doing.

Now, get to bed early, brush your teeth and remember to floss! :lol:

I'm going to sit around in my curlers and ratty bathrobe while I eat bon bons...

Dea

Dea,

It is the "senior" pilots who have done this, not management[ Management is of course, ultimatly responsible for the whole cluster #@%&]. ALPA says it is Okay for a ER170 to be flown at $58 per flight hour. The ER170 is common with the ER 190, which is equal to the 737. So what is that supposed to mean?

I personally think pilots and mechanics are worth ten times what they presently are paid. This is from a buisness owner's perspective. Liability issues, etc. My gripe is with the Union, who is saying screw eveyone else, let's keep the pay up for the senior guys and the hell with eveyrone else. Remember "B" scale? I was paid less for FIVE years, just because I was hired after a certain date. SAME JOB, LESS PAY.

I appologize for the rant, but I resent ALPA and the membership for what they have done. I now OWN my own business and I hate unions for what they stand for. Senior membership and dues collections.

autofixer,

I understand what you're saying, I also worry about the future of my profession. It irritates me no end to see all the hard work and tears that went into making airline industry a better place to be employed be undone in a few swift rounds of "negotiation". All of us "seniors" put in great effort to make flying safest way to travel.

We struggled to gain the respect and confidence of the public. This is what made the airline industry grow in the first place! We fought for better working conditions for those who would come behind us. We fought for better compensation and work rules. You know no one gave us anything without a fight.

You mechanics have had your battles with the FAA to make sure our equipment is the best to be had. Most of the public has no idea how many years of education it takes to be an airline mechanic, nor do they have to think about it, because you've done your jobs so well for so long. They have no idea what your "signature" means, in terms of responsibility.

ALPA too, has paid their dues in blood, sweat and tears. Unfortunately, I believe they are in the prime position to be manipulated. Management likes them to think pilots aren't Labor. And management also makes them feel terribly responsible for everyone else's careers. This is already in their psyches as their training teaches them to be In Command. Professional AMT's are just as "liable" with the same amount of responsibility but somehow think of themselves as "blue collar".

Some flight attendants get a little "elitest" too. We have rigorous training for life and death situations. We put on a uniform that's all spiffy and forget we work for wages, just like any other employee.

CSA's and RES are really in a bind because somehow, they get seen as "clerks" or "clerical staff" and few outside the industry have any idea what they have to do or the pressures they're under. They get little respect and I think they seriously under-value themselves. Funny, they probably have the most portable skill sets. And every reason to be well-paid.

Now, I'm not going to launch into my "Workers of the World, Unite" speech (although I have been warming up to it nicely, don't you think?) but what really plays into management's hand is that we don't support each other. Not only within our professions at different airlines, but not even in our "own family".

You read all the boards here and it's the same at every airline. Management plays the same cards; Fear, Uncertainty and Distrust. Upper management isn't the same as it was in the past. They aren't really in it for the long haul. They're in it for Mammon. Not just a living wage; Big Bucks. And a spot on Forbes list too, hoping it's not in the Top Ten Worst. Poor Michael Eisner!

But the FUD card is very scary. It's being played with a deadline. We panic like sheep. We start snarling and snapping at each other. We want somebody, anybody else to take the blame, take the fall!

What would happen if all the AMT's stood together as a profession, and just said No. I will not compromise my careers integrity? Pilots too. And flight attendants. And Customer Service.

Obliviously, you took your integrity and have made a nice business for yourself. I admire that greatly. I'm sure you miss the airline biz because you're here. It's hard to leave the friends, the comraderie. That's why I'm still here!

Of course, I need to pay my bills and am getting too old to have hope that I could find something I enjoy doing and can build a pension on. I do have self-respect and know I won't be working at McDonald's or Wal Mart. The way this country is headed, with Corporate America in charge, all wages will be Wal Mart. So it really won't matter.

You're right about the Unions. They've lost a lot of power because of the Sheep. No one goes to meetings, no one volunteers their time to the Cause. Everyone moans and groans about the dues money. Everyone yells at their leadership "Do something! I paid my dues!" But they are unwilling to take action as a group.

Some actually said to me during AFA's negotiations in 2000 "I have bills to pay!" like they thought everyone else has a trust fund. "I have a mortage!"

I believe Frank Lorenzo said it first: Flight Attendants shouldn't have a mortage. He also thought we shouldn't have careers.

On 9-11, a few people changed the world's economy. I believe this was the plan and it's still working very well. It shocks me that our government's leaders continue to let our economy head across the borders.

Sorry, I've gotten way too philosophical and rambled off. It's such a complicated situation and there's no easy, quick fix.

I do believe, though, if we stood together as workers and as Americans, we'd all be better off. That's why it's so critical that we vote in numbers as never before. We have to take back our Country, take back our jobs and give ourselves some Respect.

Apologies to all for the length of this post. Guess I had a lot to get off my chest too.

Dea