American Airlines owes Kansas City $23.55M for lease on overhaul base

Agreed. This is the same reason STL has faced so many cutbacks. Beyond unfortunate for the ex-TWA folks, but that's the reality.

<_< ------ Are we talking MCI here Hopeful?------ If we are, ( reality check!) MCI doesn't have 500 Mechanics! Not near that number! And, you're not listening to what I'm saying! Not all of those that chose to bump the system will displace Jr. mechanics!------- And if your talking system wide, your trying to justify the closing of MCI by the savings of lay offs at other stations?------ Sorry, but it may be just me, but that just doesn't compute! :huh:

Suppose not all "bump" the system. Some take a layoff of even retire. Even if 500 mechanics hit the street, the savings to AA based on that number are savings regardless of which station it came from. Again you seem to think that MCI is being sacrificed to save those at other stations when in fact SFO, MSP and DTW will be greatly impacted as well. And if many in MCI do bump the system, do not those people have it better than those they displace?
The reality of it is that AA does not need the MCI base anymore due to fleet sizing. And economically it is easier to route an aircraft to DFW for maintenance as a revenue flight rather than a ferry flight to MCI.

I understand your concern about the TWA folks in MCI being impacted, but native AAers are being impacted as well and many more have been over the years.

<_< ------- O.K., I give up!!!------It is what it is! Doesn't matter what I say anyway! AA is got it's own agenda, and frankly no matter what any of us say, or think, they're going to do their own thing anyway! :down: ------I'll just retire back down to the Carrib., and kick back, and enjoy life, one Croixan Rum at a time!!! :rolleyes:

<_< ------- O.K., I give up!!!------It is what it is! Doesn't matter what I say anyway! AA is got it's own agenda, and frankly no matter what any of us say, or think, they're going to do their own thing anyway! :down: ------I'll just retire back down to the Carrib., and kick back, and enjoy life, one Croixan Rum at a time!!! :rolleyes:

And you should....Why continue to get aggravated here? You've earned your retirement so enjoy it.

<_< ----- Sorry to disappoint you Hopeful, but my lap top goes with me! :rolleyes:

There is no being nice to you or wishing you well, is there?
Not disappointing me MCI....When I retire, there will be no more airline forums for me....If you want to keep posting and arguing here as a retiree......be our guest....You won't catch me wallowing in the past and what could've and should've been along with all the "what ifs."

But since I am not retired, I will continue to voice my opinions here....But once that first retirement and social security check arrives......You won't see me here anymore.

Not disappointing me MCI....When I retire, there will be no more airline forums for me....If you want to keep posting and arguing here as a retiree......be our guest....You won't catch me wallowing in the past and what could've and should've been along with all the "what ifs."

But since I am not retired, I will continue to voice my opinions here....But once that first retirement and social security check arrives......You won't see me here anymore.
<_< ------We will see Hoeful! ------ We well see!------ Never say "never"!

I don't have the court case on hand, but will look it up tomorrow. Something that has not been reported is that just prior to AA announcing closing the base, Aquilla lost a sales tax refund claim that would raised costs associated on repair work done at the base by $350K per year. Plus the base was so outdated thanks to TWA never having the money to keep it current with newer aircraft.

So in my opinion, I feel it was a combination of things. I will try to remember to write down the court case, and the judges name and post it. I hate to see the jobs go away, but it was most likely the most costly base to operate.

If Missouri really wanted to keep the jobs, they could have done much more to save the base. They are off the hook to upgrade the base, and American still won't be paying the sales tax. Plus, the City of Kansas City with their famous 1% earnings tax will lose about $350K a year minimum.

Oh well, another fine decision by a judge that cost jobs.

<_< ------ scuba, I don't know what case your talking about. ------Please! If you can back that up, I'd like to see it!------- First, MCI would be one of the cheapest as far as lease payments go! The honor of most expensive has to go to AFW! The money that goes to Uncle Ross annually, in lease payments, I know would keep MCI open for, at least, two, if not more years!-------- As for being outdated, MCI seems to get everything that is thrown at them, out on time, and when MCI doesn't, it's most the time, because of lack of parts, lack of manpower, or support from shops moved off field! ---------- And in most cases, the end product is as good, if not better than that TUL, or AFW, puts out!----- Oh by the way, TWA had one of the "youngest" fleets flying in the Industry when AA bought/merged with them!!!-------- Now I know I'm going to strike a nerve here, but if AA was really serious about saving money, they would cut the overtime at TUL/AFW, and send some of that work that they can't get done on straight time, to MCI! :shock: ------- That might be why, for the first time in a few years, AA will be sending a 767, silver tail to MCI for a "C" check!!! :shock:

First, MCI would be one of the cheapest as far as lease payments go! The honor of most expensive has to go to AFW! The money that goes to Uncle Ross annually, in lease payments, I know would keep MCI open for, at least, two, if not more years!

You've missed the point. MCIE's lease payments have nothing to do with the tough decision to close MCIE. Of course the Kansas City rent is low, that just makes the decision more palatable. Wouldn't matter if the city and state offered AA free rent - MCIE would still close.

You've missed the point. MCIE's lease payments have nothing to do with the tough decision to close MCIE. Of course the Kansas City rent is low, that just makes the decision more palatable. Wouldn't matter if the city and state offered AA free rent - MCIE would still close.
<_< ------ No FW, I didn't miss the point! Scuba did. ----- I know why AA's closing the base! :down:

MCI, look at this way. If AA considers the total value per mechanic at say, $84,000. Now you multiply that by, say, 500 mechanics. That comes out to $42,000,000 annually. There are other variables, but this is in the neighborhood of savings to the company.
Keep in mind, the company already announced 700 maintenance and management positions will be eliminated. SFO is taking a big hit also.
Yep, they've about had it.

If you think that just under $24 million in MCIE rent is a lot, consider that AA is going to pay $133 million of rent on the now-grounded AB6 fleet unless a miracle happens and someone wants to take over the payments on them.

<_< ------ No hopeful, I appreciate you wishing me well, but this really isn't about me, now is it. I'm doing just fine, but some of my fellow workers, about fifty something in age, now that's a horse of a different color!!! :down: ------ Oh, by the way, just for the record, not all those 500 jobs are Mechanics. Almost half, are administrative, and support personnel. As for a retiree posting here, well----- I figure if "ex-Management types", and people who "supposedly" don't, or never have, worked in Aviation can, then just "maybe", someone who has put in his time, can put in his two cents also!!! :huh:

Latest posts

Back