American Airlines pilot opener.........

sharktooth

Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
Sounds to me like these guys know what negotiating is all about.......as opposed to our WATBs (PIT and PHL reps excluded) (copy/paste for table legibility)

Specifically, we believe American Airlines should provide the pilots of American Airlines with an industry leading contract including, but not limited to:
1977 pay rates adjusted for CPI-U (see table below)
.333333% increase to below rates per month from August, 2006 forward (4%/year increase)
4% per year increase to all pay rates until amendable date
5% per year increase to all pay rates effective on amendable date and every year thereafter on the amendable date anniversary
Investment Return: 50 percent of wage reduction from May, 2003 to Date of Signing (see below)
An increase to the vacation accrual of 7 days across all vacation seniority groups
A decrease in the vacation "gates" by 2 years at every "gate"
24 sick days per year accrual to a maximum of 300 days
All vacation and sick references shall be to days, not hours
All contractual references regarding sick, vacation, and duty rigs shall be equal, based either on a duty period or calendar day - there shall be no "cross-pollination" of days/duty periods
All pilot pensions shall be 100 percent funded
The pilot "A" fund shall be tied to management's pension(s)
The pilot "A" fund shall be made whole for any change in the benchmark index
Remove actuarial reductions for early retirement
Per diem: 2.70/hour domestic, 3.00/hour international
International override: $12.00/hour
Night Differential: $10.00/hour for all flying between 2100 and 0559 Home Base Time
Reserve shall revert back to pre-1987 system w/ short call not more than 1 5-day block per month and long call @ 14 hours for trips originating 1000-2100 HBT and 22 hours for trips originating other times
Long Call Reserve may be at pilot's home, provided pilot's home is within 100 miles of a station served by AA or AE. Pilot will be paid deadhead time from nearest AA/AE station as follows: If first segment is a "flying" segment, then deadhead is to base no pay/no credit. If first segment is a "deadhead" segment, then pilot, at their option, may deadhead from AA/AE station to be in place for first "flying" segment, and will receive 100% deadhead pay/credit from home base to point of origination of first "flying" segment. If last segment is a "deadhead" segment, any pilot, at their option, may deadhead to AA/AE station closest to their home and receive 100% deadhead pay/credit from point of termination of last "flying" segment to home base
All pilot deadheads, regardless of reason, will be A1 travel classification
Length of Service for furloughees
Time and a half over 75 hours
Time and a half holiday pay
75 hour guarantee line and reserve
Sequence protection
Monthly line protection
6 hour minimum day
Pilot pay period to be adjusted so that pilots receive $4000 advance on the first of the month and the balance of prior months flying on the eighth of the following month
Fix Trip Trade with Open Time
Signing bonus equal to UPS signing bonus
Mandatory 4 percent per year pay increases after amendable date of contract
Revamped "meaningful" commuter policy
Increase in company provided life insurance to $5 million
"Commuter" Trip Trades
Reassignments at time and a half
No CPA. You fly it, they pay it
New "Scope" language: ALL flying performed by or on behalf of the Company [AMR] or an Affiliate shall be performed by pilots on the American Airlines Seniority List in accordance with the terms and conditions of this agreement
Any Tentative Agreement must be in final contract language prior to vote
30 day "discussion period" after final contract language is sent to membership prior to vote.

Day Rates: 86% higher than ours.

Does not include international or night override pay.

Methodology
Baseline: April 1977 727-223 Domestic Captain 12 Year Day Rate of $66.44 used as baseline
CPI-U Source: http://www.bls.gov/cpi/
CPI-U factor April, 1977 - August, 2006: 3.4014148
Adjusted 727-223 Rate: $225.99
Current Pay Rate adjustment factor: 1.4388768 ($225.99/$157.06)
Each current day rate multiplied by 1.4388768 to arrive at above pay rates
Does not take into account inflationary adjustments from August, 2006 forward
Investment Return: ((((100/77)-1) x W2 wages from May 2003 to April 2004) + (((100/84.5)-1) x W2 wages from May 2004 to April 2005) + (((100/86)-1) x W2 wages from May 2003 to April 2004) + (((100/87.5)-1) x W2 wages from May 2006 to DOS)) x .50) - Additional factors as required if negotiations extend beyond April, 2007.
We hope you will agree that these openers present an excellent, detailed, reasonable starting point for negotiations.

=[/size]

Is this some sort of joke?

In what way is AA an industry leader. Sorry to say WN but WN is in an industry leader in the one way it matters most Return on investment (ROI). You don't have that you don't have anything.

Ironic how the pilots are going back to 1977 that last year before deregulation. They will have better luck building a time machine.

Industry leading contract is such a death wish that WN should pray that AA pilots get this.

Not only are they good negotiators but the Allied folks are far away smarter than the ALPO parity +1 % crowd---with their big paycuts after 911. IMHO. ALPO rode the +1 % right to each companies Chapter 11 grave---some twice !! Allied folks have "so far" still got their retirement----ALPO's legacy to the pilot group----to me ALLIED folks seem to be a united group where as we are so hopelessly splintered----IMHO.

I believe our pilots at LCC will be happy with the same hourly rate as what LUV pays their pilots.

In fact, I believe the LCC pilots will be happy with the entire LUV pilot contract.

After all, we want to be the LCC carrier of choice. I see no reason NOT to have the same labor contracts in place at LUV across the board here at US Airways. For all employee groups.

Care to chime in and predict what management would say to this proposal?

pilot

Only one problem with the same contracts as SW---AAA has always been about how many folks can we hire----four to change a light blub and SW probably uses 1----retired ALPO official told me if we ever got "productive as a pilot group" we'd have to layoff 300 to 500 pilots. OUCH. SW chief pilot told my captain---->>after Captain showed SW chief pilot our mighty productive trip pairings---"SW could not operate with trip pairings like this" .They know how ineffective we are.

I believe our pilots at LCC will be happy with the same hourly rate as what LUV pays their pilots.

In fact, I believe the LCC pilots will be happy with the entire LUV pilot contract.

After all, we want to be the LCC carrier of choice. I see no reason NOT to have the same labor contracts in place at LUV across the board here at US Airways. For all employee groups.

pilot
Duh! Like, no way this will happen! But to make me happy,I'll sleep with Selma Hayak and Catherine Zeta Jones.

Before this gets out of hand, everyone needs to know that the items in the OP are NOT the APA's openers; they are a wish list of items compiled by the APAPDP (Pilots Defending the Profession), a splinter group of militant AA pilots who are never satisfied with the APA.

AA's execs are still rolling on the floor in uncontrollable laughter after reading the PDP's wish list. No wonder the APA gets steamrolled by AA - the PDP is partly to blame for contributing to the lack of a unified front.

Only one problem with the same contracts as SW---AAA has always been about how many folks can we hire----four to change a light blub and SW probably uses 1----retired ALPO official told me if we ever got "productive as a pilot group" we'd have to layoff 300 to 500 pilots. OUCH. SW chief pilot told my captain---->>after Captain showed SW chief pilot our mighty productive trip pairings---"SW could not operate with trip pairings like this" .They know how ineffective we are.

Very true. But shouldn't our "crack" team of management gurus attempt to operate this carrier at least as efficiently as Southwest? Well? Shouldn't they?

Allow me to answer my own question.

They have absolutely NO INTENTION of ever operating this airline like the proven profit model Southwest has built over the last 35+ years. Why?

Because this outfit is running a "total airline" with international flights, interline agreements, seamless travel, code share, and Star Alliance synergies all the while selling itself as a total Low Cost Carrier. And guess where those "low costs" come from. You got it. From the employees. That, in a nutshell, is the business plan. Run a full service airline on the backs of employees who are paid substantially lower than almost all other employee groups in the industry.

There is no incentive for DP to lower costs on the operating side of the equation because he doesn't have to. He has employees subsidizing the high costs of a full service airline.

This ain't no LCC. This is a full service airline with underpaid employees some of whom think DP is a genius. And buying into his I make U fly crap.

Come to think of it - I guess he is a genuis. He's got the workforce right where he wants them. While he and his cronies cash in the stock options.

pilot

pilot

Actually, the SWA contract has been offered many times to our "management". They say it is too costly. I guess, meaning, management knew they would be too incompetent to administer it properly. Good on them! Acknowledging their own incompetence.

So, at what point do the employees "fire" management? I mean, does anyone here actually think management has a clue as to what they are doing?

Notice the AA opener is only slightly higher in compensation compared to the SWA contract.

Management makes the trip pairing and controls our productivity, not us or ALPA. We gave back everything that forced them to make us productive. We have very little vacation, very little sick leave, no duty rigs, train on our off days, fly 90/95/100 hours per month, and we are still called on our off time to cover trips (POTA) because they choose to operate understaffed. And all of the extra time we work is at standard pay rates, we don't get overtime or bonus pay for working nights, weekends, holidays or extra days.
Now we are flying 19 days per month (that's days and nights away from our families) to accomplish what it use to take 14 days to do (more if we're flexed). That is all controlled by management.
Our management gets a solid "F" for squandering our crews. But they don't care- it only affects our families, not their bottom line.
I'm ready and willing to walk the line for improvements, we're not bankrupt anymore.
BTW- I don't answer the phone, it is immoral to fly over your block with 1594 pilots on furlough.

Latest posts