American Airlines Removes Pillows On Md80s

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Nov 17, 2004 (Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News via COMTEX) -- As penny-pinching airlines cut every expense possible, passengers have learned to bring their own food and entertainment.

Now passengers should be ready to pack their own pillows, at least on American Airlines.

This week, Fort Worth-based American quietly removed the pillows from its workhorse fleet of 334 MD-80 airplanes, typically used for shorter flights.

The move, which stemmed from a strategy session with employees this year, will save the airline money by enabling workers to clean cabins faster, spokesman Tim Wagner said.

"It will streamline our cabin service," he said.

Click here for the complete article

This will actually reduce by 60% the bacteria level on all MD80's.

I laugh when people insist on having one of these gross pillows. After even one day with people sitting and farting on, drooling on, picked up after laying on the filthy floor with someone bare feet or sweaty socks on them. A person in their right mind would then put this next to there face and sleep.

But then these days while a portion of our customer base looks like they just left the set of the jerry springer show, consider what they want to lie next to and wake up next too, Hmm not so gross after all.

FA Mikey said:

I laugh when people insist on having one of these gross pillows. After even one day with people sitting and farting on, drooling on, picked up after laying on the filthy floor with someone bare feet or sweaty socks on them. A person in their right mind would then put this next to there face and sleep.

But then these days while a portion of our customer base looks like they just left the set of the jerry springer show, consider what they want to lie next to and wake up next too, Hmm not so gross after all.
[post="201778"][/post]​
...the only problem is that people expect pillows, and a big part of AA's plan to compete against the upstarts is it's claim to be a "full-service airline".

Removing the pillows on almost 400 planes isn't an effort to keep planes cleaner; it's a way to get by with far fewer aircraft cleaners.

I commend AA on what they've done to keep costs done( which includes my furlough), but my opinion is that this one is a big mistake.

FA Mikey said:

[post="201778"][/post]​

You laugh in the customer's face, or did you mean that rhetorically?

While I don't always use a pillow, it is nice to have that option. Since you implied that I am poor white trash because I sometimes request a pillow, I will have to keep that in mind the next time I am trying to decide which airline to take. :down:

B)
Prediction: Early next year next to the gates will be 'pillow rental booths'. For 10 dollars each, pax will be able to rent pilows for their flight.

JS said:
You laugh in the customer's face, or did you mean that rhetorically?
[post="201919"][/post]​
Are you serious? Give me a break I geuss we had to know at least one person whould be so foolish as to ask soemthing like that.

JS said:
While I don't always use a pillow, it is nice to have that option. Since you implied that I am poor white trash because I sometimes request a pillow, I will have to keep that in mind the next time I am trying to decide which airline to take. :down:
[post="201919"][/post]​
Hey you want one and I have one, you can have it. I wouldnt stop you or not get one for you.

About the poor white trash. If you will notice the only person who referance YOU to poor white trash is YOU. If you are that sensitive and can infer some comment not at all directed at you, as to being about you. You may soon find that all airlines and in fact all the business of the world are not suitable for your highness.

I fully understand and appreciate the need to cut costs, but this is going a bit too far, IMHO. This makes us look downright coldhearted to the passengers. This is right up there with eliminating the olives in the salad. Does it save some relatively marginal amount of money annually? Sure. But is it worth it, given how this looks to the traveling public?

"ITS THE BLANKETS, STUPID" The pillows are an easy fluff, the blank-ity blank(s)ets need to be shaken and folded. They take more time then pillows. The cabin crews would rather blankets be gone.
The worse I've ever seen are the ski return trips those drunks have popcorn fights and its almost impossible to clean in the short amount of time given.

At US. pillows and blankets were removed shortly after 9/11, only to return. I guess passengers made a lot of complaints.

FlyUs said:
At US. pillows and blankets were removed shortly after 9/11, only to return. I guess passengers made a lot of complaints.
[post="202029"][/post]​

At AA moost of our S80s have adjustable headrests to lay your precious head on at napie nap time-
They are far more comfortable than a nasty pillow wedged betwen seats of the bulkhead-they are filthy-I applaud their departure!!

We all know the cabin can get way cold at times-so-blankets are a must-just avoid any skin contact!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts