American Airlines Seeks Recall Of Laid-Off Workers

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Story

Video

KANSAS CITY, Missouri -- It has been more than five years since American Airlines laid off thousands of workers in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and now the airline is attempting to recall some of those workers.

Most of the workers who lost their jobs live in Missouri -- it's the state that paid the highest price when American Airlines cut back -- and five years later, it's the state that has been the slowest to recover.

In Kansas City and St. Louis, thousands of mechanics and flight attendants were among the first to go, and many now wonder if they'll ever get their jobs back...

:up: ------ Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the people here at MCI, fifty recall letters have gone out to the layed off workers, with a promise of twenty five more in the near future!!! We have a lot going on here, and more is planed for the future! The people of the mid-west are a tough lot! We will survive!!!

Just in time for some save my job YES votes.
You cant be serious. There arent enough ex TWAers to pass a contract. Look at the native AAers around you and you will see who passed the 2003 concessions with a save my job yes vote.

You cant be serious. There arent enough ex TWAers to pass a contract. Look at the native AAers around you and you will see who passed the 2003 concessions with a save my job yes vote.
Not true. We had one of the highest ever "No" votes out of Tulsa. Probably thanks to the ad we took out in the Tulsa World, we couldnt afford to do the same in MCI. It was MCI that stuck us with all these concessions (although STL was an assett any help they gave towards rejecting the concessions was wiped out by the near unanimous "YES" vote from the 1500 ex-fighting machinists at MCI). If you subtract all the TWA votes, both Yes and No, the vote failed, the concessions were rejected by the majority of naatives. The concessions only passed by around 700 votes. In our Local I think there was something like 20 yes votes, or around 2%, 98% voted NO.

In regards to those being called back I hope that either they have found something better over the last five years or they if come back, they are able to get back on payroll, qualify for medical, use up their sick time and retire without spending a single rainy cold night out on the ramp. It would be good to see someone getting over on the company for once.

Well I stand corrected maybe the exTWAers can pass a contract. But it cannot happen without a lot of naatives being involved. Thanks for the compliment for I was one of the STLers you refer too.

Hope all the recalls get recalled soon....
I feel for the people in the video story but if I remember correctly the writting was on the wall for TWA. TWA was on its way out , it was not this viberant company with a promising future. It was in BK with very limited money to keep from shutting down. Did everyone forget the finacial state it was in ???

Fingers CROSSED, Rabbits foot RUBBED, and HOPEING every former LLCer gets the choice to opt to come back.

I'm STILL holding out hope, for the 1500, that "fell off" the list, that something positive may still yet happen

Never give up, NEVER !!

Fingers CROSSED, Rabbits foot RUBBED, and HOPEING every former LLCer gets the choice to opt to come back.

I'm STILL holding out hope, for the 1500, that "fell off" the list, that something positive may still yet happen

Never give up, NEVER !!
That would be nice to have them all recalled..... hopefully they will work something out... keep thinking positive!!!

Hope all the recalls get recalled soon....
I feel for the people in the video story but if I remember correctly the writting was on the wall for TWA. TWA was on its way out , it was not this viberant company with a promising future. It was in BK with very limited money to keep from shutting down. Did everyone forget the finacial state it was in ???

It was not in bankruptcy and there was $153 million in the bank. The CEO of TWA testified TWA did not have to file bankruptcy, that was AA's idea for AA's reasons.

It was not in bankruptcy and there was $153 million in the bank. The CEO of TWA testified TWA did not have to file bankruptcy, that was AA's idea for AA's reasons.
Oh I remember TWA was in BK and thats how AA was able to get the F/As union to waive the senority clause in their contract. AA was about to go to the BK judge to get it done or the deal was off.... At the last minute the union agreed to waive the clause and the deal went ahead. I guess the TWA F/As uinon thought being taken over by AA and loosing senority was better than nothing at all and being out of a job...
But I'm sure if AA did not purchase TWA , TWA would still be be around , they would have gotten through some how some way.... :--))

Oh I remember TWA was in BK and thats how AA was able to get the F/As union to waive the senority clause in their contract. AA was about to go to the BK judge to get it done or the deal was off.... At the last minute the union agreed to waive the clause and the deal went ahead. I guess the TWA F/As uinon thought being taken over by AA and loosing senority was better than nothing at all and being out of a job...
But I'm sure if AA did not purchase TWA , TWA would still be be around , they would have gotten through some how some way.... :--))

Most have since come to think TWA might not have survived 9/11. The APFA M&A (merger and acquisitions) committee told IAM and Sherry Cooper that TWA F/As would not be stapled. Later after JW disolved that committee, it decided to staple.

If AA goes after Frontier or Alaska, it will be fascinating to see what happens with seniority because APFA is on record in two mergers of insisting on stapling. So anything different than stapling will probably result in a real flury of lawsuits.

Not true. We had one of the highest ever "No" votes out of Tulsa. Probably thanks to the ad we took out in the Tulsa World, we couldnt afford to do the same in MCI. It was MCI that stuck us with all these concessions (although STL was an assett any help they gave towards rejecting the concessions was wiped out by the near unanimous "YES" vote from the 1500 ex-fighting machinists at MCI). If you subtract all the TWA votes, both Yes and No, the vote failed, the concessions were rejected by the majority of naatives. The concessions only passed by around 700 votes. In our Local I think there was something like 20 yes votes, or around 2%, 98% voted NO.

In regards to those being called back I hope that either they have found something better over the last five years or they if come back, they are able to get back on payroll, qualify for medical, use up their sick time and retire without spending a single rainy cold night out on the ramp. It would be good to see someone getting over on the company for once.
<_< ------ Bob, I told you why I felt MCI voted the way they did!------- I also told you that I voted "NO" on that contract, but I didn't tell you why! It was because "at the time" I felt AA management, and their TWU lap dogs, had decided to close MCI, no matter what the outcome of the vote was! And to this day, I feel, "at that time", that was a true assumption! ------- The majority of the people here felt, weather true, or not, that the only way they could possibly save their jobs were to vote yes. -------- Now if you have to point fingers of blame for this, point it where it really belongs! At the Union that would bring back such a peace of crap, WITHOUT A SNAP-BACK, and put it's membership in such a position to begin with! It's easy to point at one group, and say, "if you had voted differently"! Their motivation was the same as yours when you voted "Not to Dovetail!" It was to protect their families, and jobs!

Yeah, and I seem to remember Bill Clinton stating he did not have sex with Monica....

TWA didn't have to file bankruptcy once the purchase agreement was in place, but they would have had to file at some point. There's no denying it. IIRC, the debt revolver payment due in mid-January would have put their cash well below the $153M in the bank.