American Airlines To Delta Air Lines: Hats Off To You For Operational Excellence

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Deltas done a great job: hats off to them, Robert Isom, American Chief Operating Officer, said Thursday during a Credit Suisse investor presentation...

Isom said Delta is operating at a level thats never been seen before, especially for an airline that large.

Right now, were not too far from Delta in terms of departing aircraft on time, he continued. Where Delta is distinguishing themselves right now, I think, is with their completion factor.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/12/05/american-airlines-to-delta-air-lines-hats-off-to-you-for-operational-excellence/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Funny how well a company does when they take care of their employees.

Reactions: 8 people
It's also easier when you don't have unions intentionally inhibiting the company's ability to perform well.

Reactions: 9 people
Some might argue that increasing an employee group's wages be it union or non-union would inhibit a company's ability to perform well. 

eolesen said:
It's also easier when you don't have unions intentionally inhibiting the company's ability to perform well.
Hey I agree E. This unelected association is costing it's members and their families money every day.

Reactions: 4 people
No big surprise... I have heard Doug Parker say twice that AA needs to bring itself up to US standards of on time performance.  Once was on Cramer on national TV and once during a recent podcast I think with a pilot group. I think Parker said to the effect that Delta had a 5-year jump on AA with its merger, so it had an advantage. Based upon my conversations with some US rampers now working for AA, there is certain lack of urgency in getting planes out on time and the culture will probably need to change.

Reactions: 1 person
The way negotiations are going, or not going (I know a schedule was posted today) I don't see anything changing any time soon

Reactions: 3 people
Jester said:
Based upon my conversations with some US rampers now working for AA, there is certain lack of urgency in getting planes out on time and the culture will probably need to change.

Gonna' throw the bullshit flag on that one.We get the planes buttoned up on time,we just don't run around like headless chickens the way you do in PHX.Two man crew and the CC is the third? Please.

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
Are you getting our representation (or the lack thereof ) confused with a union??

Are you getting our representation (or the lack thereof ) confused with a union??

This may come to a complete shock to you, but there really is more than one workgroup on the property, even if each of them seem to have their own definition on what comprises effective representation.

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
HA and AS have plenty of unions and they are doing as well or better than DL. 

AA's problems come from its unions and management treating the employees as the enemy vs working together. United has the same issue

I will say that I do agree to a point though E. The lack of flexibility in some cases does hurt AA/UA when compared to DL. 

The problem with flexibility in maintenance is the attitude of contempt and lack of involvement in basic issues and policies. The lack of trust is in management at least locall you in dfw is truly astonishing. Management has pretty much (level 5) and above have stopped having meetings I guess they get tired of the silly questions like where is all the new equipment? What happened to tearing down maintenance, and building it back up? Phase 1 is complete..when do we start phase 2?
There is no reason for flexibility you just can't trust a word they say.

He would be a lot more in line with his boss if he repeated the mantra that profit sharing has no affect on employee performance, and employees don't have any impact on the daily stats.

All the management at the new american Knows Delta just has outstanding managers who work miracles without motivating employees with profit opportunities. The only mistake Delta managers make is wasting money on trying to motivate employees with shared risk/opportunity via profit sharing. What a profligate waste. But hats off for great stats.

//SARC OFF