American Eagle Stanby At The Airport

noluv

Apr 19, 2004
i have a question. if anyone that works at ae can answer, i would greatly appreciate it. how many hours do you have to sit stanby at the airport? also, of these hours how many do you get paid flight time? also are there whole blocks built for stanby? if so can you be assigned one of these blocks if you do not bid it? just wondering...any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ah, the dreaded airport standby!
Depending on where you are based, there are 2 or 3 Ready reserve shifts. Typically, there is R1, which is 6am to 2 pm. And R2, from 2pm until 10pm. From the contract, you get "3.75 hours credit for each day of such assignment, for purpuses of calculating hours flown, but not for pay purposes". In other words, you'd have to fly more than 3.75 hours a day to overfly the 'daily' ready guarantee.
Pay guarantee for reserve is 75 hours (line holders its 72). Typically R1 flies more since there always seems to be more chaotic stuff, downgrades, and built trips in the am. Some bases, such as LAX, have had R3 shifts in the past which are 7pm to 11pm to cover the overnighters.
There are monthly bid lines for airport standby. Some people actually bid it since its more of a 'real job' and you are more likely to be home at night more often. More often that not, the junior gets stuck with airport ready from month to month.
As a note, most Eagle lounges are patently uncomfortable and spartan. Some have lights so bright as to emulate interrogation rooms (thus hard to sleep). There are quiet rooms at most bases however.

thank you so much!!! i have a friend who works at midatlantic...usairways new division. according to her they are supposed to follow your contract. obviously they are not. she gets 3.30 flight time to sit standby at the airport, plus her 8 hours per diem.

HI, I'm furloughed from a major and currently have flown for AE for over a year. Let me tell you, try another airline first. Eagle should be your last resort.The work rules are absolutely atrocious. They rarely use standbys unless absolutely necessary and airport couch duty is usually ideal if you live at the base.

noluv said:
thank you so much!!! i have a friend who works at midatlantic...usairways new division. according to her they are supposed to follow your contract. obviously they are not. she gets 3.30 flight time to sit standby at the airport, plus her 8 hours per diem.
[post="226974"][/post]​
HI
I am a f/a for Eagle for 11 years+ and I wanted to let you know that yes the work rules are not like AA, but its a job and it pays the bills(well depends how much in debt you are.LOL).
About the standbys yes it is paid at 3.30hrs the day and 8 hours of taxable perdiem.
If you are airport standby and CS assigns you a sequence that is an overnight, you will then get paid non taxable perdiem from the moment you originally signed in untill 15min after your last turn or 30 minutes if you have to clear customs.

On the AE AFA web site you can download a copy, go to www.afa-ae-web.org .
Go to the bottom of the page and click on enter main page(something like that) and on your left colum scroll down untill you see print contract and then click on that.
Hope that helps.

my friend has another question. at ae, what amount of time does a reserve have to get to the airport after scheduling has made contact with them? i am not talking about standby..just a short call. any info. would be appreciated. thanks from my friend 737princess.

noluv said:
my friend has another question. at ae, what amount of time does a reserve have to get to the airport after scheduling has made contact with them? i am not talking about standby..just a short call. any info. would be appreciated. thanks from my friend 737princess.
[post="228428"][/post]​

Yes, it's just a job. Anyway, back to your next question. The times for standbys depends on your base. At one base, the first shift starts at 5.15am, the second one starts at 12 noon but the am person doesn't clock out until 1pm (there's an overlap) and the last one, starts at 7pm and you bolt when the last flight of the day leaves, approx 10pm. Needless to say, locals who are senior bid the third shift since they only need to sit for 3 hrs.
Security at this particular base doesn't open until 5.30am so we used to call scheduling to let them know that we were there etc. etc. If you have to take a cab to make that first shift,it's tax deductible.

Your friend should read about what's going on with Ae's contract negotiations on the afa website before investing too much time and energy in this.
Good luck.

czerny said:
Yes, it's just a job. Anyway, back to your next question. The times for standbys depends on your base. At one base, the first shift starts at 5.15am, the second one starts at 12 noon but the am person doesn't clock out until 1pm (there's an overlap) and the last one, starts at 7pm and you bolt when the last flight of the day leaves, approx 10pm. Needless to say, locals who are senior bid the third shift since they only need to sit for 3 hrs.
Security at this particular base doesn't open until 5.30am so we used to call scheduling to let them know that we were there etc. etc. If you have to take a cab to make that first shift,it's tax deductible.

Your friend should read about what's going on with Ae's contract negotiations on the afa website before investing too much time and energy in this.
Good luck.
[post="228717"][/post]​

How much are you paid for your time while waiting around?

noluv said:
at ae, what amount of time does a reserve have to get to the airport after scheduling has made contact with them? i am not talking about standby..just a short call.
[post="228428"][/post]​

Two hours from call to sign in.

Bob Owens said:
How much are you paid for your time while waiting around?
[post="228743"][/post]​

LD covered that above in the first reply...
"[By] contract, you get "3.75 hours credit for each day of such assignment, for purpuses of calculating hours flown, but not for pay purposes". In other words, you'd have to fly more than 3.75 hours a day to overfly the 'daily' ready guarantee. Pay guarantee for reserve is 75 hours (line holders its 72)."

av8trxx said:
"[By] contract, you get "3.75 hours credit for each day of such assignment, for purpuses of calculating hours flown, but not for pay purposes". In other words, you'd have to fly more than 3.75 hours a day to overfly the 'daily' ready guarantee. Pay guarantee for reserve is 75 hours (line holders its 72)."
[post="230319"][/post]​

Sorry but thats not right....the correct statement should be ....you get 3.3hrs of resv time (home or airport) and its 75 hrs for all f/a regarless.

av8trxx said:
[post="230319"][/post]​

I think that you guys have overly complex rules that result in letting the company claim that your hourly pay is extremely high while in fact you are only paid for a fraction of the hours that your job actually consumes.

TimeOff said:
Sorry but thats not right....the correct statement should be ....you get 3.3hrs of resv time (home or airport) and its 75 hrs for all f/a regarless.
[post="230324"][/post]​

Yes, it is correct, per my copy of our ALPA pilot contract. Perhaps you are talking about flight attendants.

To the original poster, attatched is a copy Section 12: Reserve Duty for your pals reference.

Attachments

• Reserve.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 177
Evidently the blood is so bad among the Eagle pilots that there's been some physical assaults on AA flowback pilots. What a company. Sounds like AE ALPA and AE management deserve each other.

av8trxx said:
Yes, it is correct, per my copy of our ALPA pilot contract. Perhaps you are talking about flight attendants.

To the original poster, attatched is a copy Section 12: Reserve Duty for your pals reference.
[post="231514"][/post]​

Opps my bad I thought we were talking about F/As. Then yes whatever av8trxx said. LOL Happy Holidays.

Winglet said:
Evidently the blood is so bad among the Eagle pilots that there's been some physical assaults on AA flowback pilots. What a company. Sounds like AE ALPA and AE management deserve each other.
[post="231622"][/post]​

Winglet,

Unless you have personal knowledge of any of these events how can you say that it was caused by an Eagle pilot or Eagle management? Did you ever consider that possibly the AA flowback ran his mouth? There has been numerous instantces of that happening also so unless you know who started it stop pointing the finger at AE pilots. By far the AE pilots are bearing the brunt of the mistake Letter 3 was and most have maintained their profesionalism. The flow backs have been a huge problem at AE outside of just issues amoung employees. I do not condone anyone on either side taking out the frustrations on their fellow employees. I have not had any problems with the flowbacks either and enjoy talking with many of them, I have found a few to be fairly weak as a captain but that was to be expected. You have a history of blaming AE for your problems with AA and I thing your accusations are misguided.

We all need to work together to see AA become financially stable again. The peety bickering does not help.

Latest posts