American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ny-and-staffing-levels-for-the-fall-and-2021/

Now children...pay attention to this post. You need to learn the difference between "right-size" and "down-size." This difference may make a HUGELY difference on your future at American Airlines.

The difference: Down-sizing (which is NOT what AA is proposing) is where some managers also lose their jobs.

Any questions? You need to ask now before it's too late.

Sample answer: [to AMT with less than 40 years seniority] "you're toast."
Sample answer: [to randomly selected manager] "Nothing to worry about. Let's do lunch next week."

Cynical? Moi? How could you say such a thing to me?:rolleyes:

First off very few workers that you union guys consider management are not in fact managers. They are just non union workers juts like all of you. As for those non union worker bees, I bet there will be layoffs but it will depend on the departments. They just did a big round of Manager cuts last fall and I am sure won't hesitate to do more. But in the short term the crews and airport staff are obviously the most likely effective, but a lot of their support staff will be too. Quit trying to divide!

EDIT to add BTW of all the front line workers AMTs are going to be the most needed and least effected, so you at least are in a bit better position as is most of tech Ops.

Last edited:
First off very few workers that you union guys consider management are in fact management? They are just non union workers juts like all of you. As for those non union worker bees, I bet there will be layoffs but it will depend on the departments. They just did a big round of Manager cuts last fall and I am sure won't hesitate to do more. But in the short term the crews and airport staff are obviously the most likely effective, but a lot of their support staff will be too. Quit trying to divide!

EDIT to add BTW of all the front line workers AMTs are going to be the most needed and least effected, so you at least are in a bit better position as is most of tech Ops.
Uhhh, I don't fully agree on the last part. AA contracts out work more now than before the merger. They got away with it in BK. So here is another crisis. Just wait and see what happens. I suggest you don't generate any big expenditures until the summer is over and see how the numbers look for the airline's as a whole.

Good advice, That applies to everyone at the airline outside of the C-Suite. BTW filing BK and voiding contracts is a completely separate discussion and very premature at this point. AA still does more in house work than all the others and the trend in the last few years was to bring more in house not less.

in a nutshell: more CSMs to do LAA C/C work, less C/Cs, contractually (1 C/C for every 12 FSCs), that also means less FSCs = right-sizing for the new aa.

Management is most definitely impacted by this. With all the cuts to capital spending, I'm guessing hundreds of people who worked on projects (analysts, testers, project managers, programmers) will be gone, as will the finance people who do cost analysis, revenue management folks who look at pricing, field sales reps that work with agencies and corporate customers. Yeah, all those roles you guys never think about or deal with yet bring in money for the airline. You might even see the remaining remnant offices in Tempe finally closed down and moved to Euless...

Good advice, That applies to everyone at the airline outside of the C-Suite. BTW filing BK and voiding contracts is a completely separate discussion and very premature at this point. AA still does more in house work than all the others and the trend in the last few years was to bring more in house not less.
More inhouse work if you include American airlines maintenance in South America. That's like saying CLT is the second largest hub but that's only if you include regional flights with mainline flights.

It is all one company? Does Sony, Apple and Google employees act like only US union members count and everyone else is some evil interloper? Good grief!

It is all one company? Does Sony, Apple and Google employees act like only US union members count and everyone else is some evil interloper? Good grief!
If it's all in house why can't I transfer to Chile or Brazil? Why can't they transfer to DFW or MIA? Jobs that are not available for TWU members and work can be shifted to SA. That's outsourcing and losing jobs. May be good for the company but it costs jobs for union members state side.

Obviously, management will try to protect their own. I think we should pay attention to any changes. They’ll try to make up some stupid problem or “opportunity”.
Translation - someone is trying to justify their job. The writing is on the wall.

If it's all in house why can't I transfer to Chile or Brazil? Why can't they transfer to DFW or MIA? Jobs that are not available for TWU members and work can be shifted to SA. That's outsourcing and losing jobs. May be good for the company but it costs jobs for union members state side.

Sheesh. Keeping work inside the company isn't outsourcing. What will you guys ever do if the Railway Labor Act falls and right to work takes over?... Prevent work from shifting between ORD and TUL?...

I know a couple people who transferred between countries at AA. Pretty certain the union won't allow someone from Chile or Brasil to transfer to DFW or MIA without coming in at zero seniority, but if you have the right to work in Chile or Brasil, I bet you could transfer and keep your seniority there.

First off very few workers that you union guys consider management are not in fact managers. They are just non union workers juts like all of you. As for those non union worker bees, I bet there will be layoffs but it will depend on the departments. They just did a big round of Manager cuts last fall and I am sure won't hesitate to do more. But in the short term the crews and airport staff are obviously the most likely effective, but a lot of their support staff will be too. Quit trying to divide!

The OP post was a joke. You have the sense of humor of a sea slug. (Uh, the Trump neologism, Hugely, should have been your first clue. (Neologism, A new word or phrase of the patient's own making often seen in schizophrenia.)

P.S. Reciprocity between foreign workers and U.S. citizens does not exist. Under Federal law, if a company wants to bring a non-U.S. citizen into the country to work a job in the company, the company must prove that they have made a diligent search and there is not a single person in the U.S. qualified or able to do the job.

Last edited:

Because your union doesn't allow it. If you were non union and you had the in country permits I guarantee you could.

Because your union doesn't allow it. If you were non union and you had the in country permits I guarantee you could.
My union did not hire me. My union does not pay me. My union or this dysfunctional association is only out for financial survival. So union has nothing to do with the reason you give.

Uhhh, I don't fully agree on the last part. AA contracts out work more now than before the merger. They got away with it in BK. So here is another crisis. Just wait and see what happens. I suggest you don't generate any big expenditures until the summer is over and see how the numbers look for the airline's as a whole.

More inhouse work if you include American airlines maintenance in South America. That's like saying CLT is the second largest hub but that's only if you include regional flights with mainline flights.

I have no clue of the real new facts, but I would THINK(?) AA still does the most in house maint. but not sure.
And if I remember correctly the NEW language in scope for the outsourcing just increased for more outsourcing. So yes I am in agreement with you on waiting to see just how much more the outsourcing will increase on the NEW billable rate increase that the asso. just agreed to in the new contract.
Speaking of right sizing airlines;
Delta and JB are receiving some letters from Dems. warning them about cutting hours. I don't think the Dems have any ground to stand on. They did not layoff and they did not cut pay. So I don't think they are out of line when it comes to the CARES act funded monies. Now I will agree with some that cutting hours is a roundabout way of cutting pay, but I don't think this was covered in the language and the airlines are taking advantage of this said "loophole" if ya will. Also read where United backed off from cutting hours after union sued over the CARES rules and regs, so at least that worked for now for them.
Folks, we got problems coming when Oct gets here if flying does not pick up rather quickly between now and Oct. Prepare! Prepare! Prepare!
Forgot to add the article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jet-blue-democrats-spar-over-crew-pay-cuts-180959278.html