American M & E Working Together Toward Profits

ICEMAN

Jan 24, 2006
Great news to share: In August David Jensen, an editor at-large with Aviation Maintenance magazine, a top M&E industry publication, visited our Tulsa base to cover how AA’s maintenance organization is bucking the trend when it comes to outsourcing and how we are working jointly to create a new way of doing business in the aircraft M&E space. The result is a very positive cover story in the September issue of Aviation Maintenance (attached as a PDF file for your reference).

The lengthy story covers in-depth how joint work and the Continuous Improvement process are being incorporated into almost every decision that is made at the base – from maintenance processes to bidding on third-party contracts. David outlines how joint work was the catalyst for Tulsa 's Breakthrough Goal, the first breakthrough goal implemented within the maintenance organization, to help turn the base into a profit center.

The story goes into great detail about how Tulsa has established a hierarchy of management-labor teams from the floor level up, with David outlining how different teams work – from ALTs to JLTs – and how these joint groups work hand in hand to address and resolve issues and challenges at the base. David got special access to a portion of a JLT meeting, helping him better understand how interactive these meetings are between union and company officials.

Some of what David covers in his story includes:

n MD80 pulse line

n securing the Synergy work

n reeducing turn time for the CFM56-7B engine

n securing American Eagle work

n winglet mod work

Overall, as you'll see from reading the story, it is a very positive article about our maintenance organization and the power of joint work. A special thanks to all of the great folks in Tulsa who made this story possible, and please share as you see fit within your organizations.

Story-Aviation Maintenance-AA M&E-People, Profits, Pride, 9-06.pdf (1789KB)

Hey Iceman,
No attachment. Try 'er again. I'd like to read this article.

Oh, and get ready for the spin doctors. You know, the ones who choose NOT to be involved but seem to know everything about everything?!! Should be quite entertaining!!

Hey Iceman,
No attachment. Try 'er again. I'd like to read this article.
Oh, and get ready for the spin doctors. You know, the ones who choose NOT to be involved but seem to know everything about everything?!! Should be quite entertaining!!
<_< ----- Now! Now Bill! Be nice!!!! ;)

<_< ----Hey Bill, your a Management type! We've been trying to convince our local Managers that aa is headed for a train wreak here if they don't get get their heads out of their ars, and get more people on board soon to do all the added work that is supposed to show up about the first week in Oct.(ALCOA) As it is they're bringing people out of what shops we have left, and putting them to work in the docks. Mainly the 767 Interior Mods. Sounds good, but these are people with A&Ps, that haven't worked real aircraft in years! And really don't want too! Plus we have people retiring! And not being replaced! ---- There seems to be a major breakdown in communication between upper Management and the real world down here on the floor! And I'm afraid it's going to bit them in the tail feathers if they don't act soon!---- And you know what they say about crap, "it rolls downhill!" When push comes to shove, I just don't want to see our guys get blamed for their incompetence!!!! ;)

<_< ----Hey Bill, your a Management type! We've been trying to convince our local Managers that aa is headed for a train wreak here if they don't get get their heads out of their ars, and get more people on board soon to do all the added work that is supposed to show up about the first week in Oct.(ALCOA) As it is they're bringing people out of what shops we have left, and putting them to work in the docks. Mainly the 767 Interior Mods. Sounds good, but these are people with A&Ps, that haven't worked real aircraft in years! And really don't want too! Plus we have people retiring! And not being replaced! ---- There seems to be a major breakdown in communication between upper Management and the real world down here on the floor! And I'm afraid it's going to bit them in the tail feathers if they don't act soon!---- And you know what they say about crap, "it rolls downhill!" When push comes to shove, I just don't want to see our guys get blamed for their incompetence!!!! ;)

No MCI, on the contrary. I am just as dedicated a union man as you. I just don't think shooting ourselves in the foot is the answer to our problems. I'm in the trenches just as you and most of the folks on this board are. Am I happy with all the decisions made...no, but what some of the others preach on this board, that is the way to "fix" the situation. Somehow these "bozos" (and I use that term loosely!!) think that by changing unions that will make everything hunky-dory. Well, it just ain't so. And I have yet to hear from any of them as to what a new union will do for us. Not what they WON'T do but how a new union will make things better for union members at AA.

Let me ask you....have you ever enquired about any of these programs? Do you know what they do during these meetings? Do you go to your union reps and ask to be heard about possible recalls becaseu of attrition or because we are getting more work (and you say that like it's a bad thing!!! ????) Most(if not al) of these folks who post here who are soooo disgruntled with the TWU don't really have a clue as to what goes on (although they might tell you they do)....and frankly I doubt they care much. It's much easier to sit back and complain then it is to get some b*lls and do something productive. Nobody likes the situation ("working more with less" they are calling it--I call it being accountable)we are in but we are in it. Do you think a new union can fix things? Do you honestly think that a new union can come into AA and get us what some of you people are claiming they can....more money, vacations back, cheaper insurance, recalls, etc, etc, etc. Let's be realistic here. If you think they can do that please, anyone, tell me how this will happen.

No MCI, on the contrary. I am just as dedicated a union man as you. I just don't think shooting ourselves in the foot is the answer to our problems. I'm in the trenches just as you and most of the folks on this board are. Am I happy with all the decisions made...no, but what some of the others preach on this board, that is the way to "fix" the situation. Somehow these "bozos" (and I use that term loosely!!) think that by changing unions that will make everything hunky-dory. Well, it just ain't so. And I have yet to hear from any of them as to what a new union will do for us. Not what they WON'T do but how a new union will make things better for union members at AA.
Let me ask you....have you ever enquired about any of these programs? Do you know what they do during these meetings? Do you go to your union reps and ask to be heard about possible recalls becaseu of attrition or because we are getting more work (and you say that like it's a bad thing!!! ????) Most(if not al) of these folks who post here who are soooo disgruntled with the TWU don't really have a clue as to what goes on (although they might tell you they do)....and frankly I doubt they care much. It's much easier to sit back and complain then it is to get some b*lls and do something productive. Nobody likes the situation ("working more with less" they are calling it--I call it being accountable)we are in but we are in it. Do you think a new union can fix things? Do you honestly think that a new union can come into AA and get us what some of you people are claiming they can....more money, vacations back, cheaper insurance, recalls, etc, etc, etc. Let's be realistic here. If you think they can do that please, anyone, tell me how this will happen.

The problem with this "lovefest" is that players only mention how nice it would be to make money and boast about insourcing maintenance. That's a good thing, no one is arguing the point. But where are the rewards for reaching all these goals?
Is the reward "just be lucky to have a job?"
If you and others truly believe in this mantra, then you might as well work for minimum wage and let the companny make billions in profits so management can reap the rewards in stock options and bonuses.

I will gladly go along with this lovefest if we are guaranteed some reward once the goals are reached.
You know the types of rewards, bill?

The rewards that executives are promised when certain performance targets are met.

It's time for this company to put their money where their "AT LEAST WE ARE NOT BANKRUPT AND WE INSOURCE MAINTENANCE" mouths are!

".....Burchette explained the union's change in thinking thusly:
"At one time we wanted all the work in-house, and we didn't care if it was profitable or not. Now we make a case to have the work in-house. In fact, we have an agreement that if we're not profitable [performing a maintenance service] within two years and we can't fix it so it will be, then we let the work go outside....""

Is this a verbal agreement, or a letter of "understanding"?
Because I can not find it in the contract.
Dennis, you cant keep your mouth shut ,can you?

<_< --- O.K. Bill so your not in management! At this time, most feel we don't have a Union! Something is better than nothing! Consequently, AMFA supporters pushing for the IBT! What does that tell you? If you've never dealt with another Union, you really don't know what your missing! I have,and I do! Again, I'm not promoting the IAM, but believe me! The difference is like night and day! I believe in working with the company! But I also believe there has to be a separation of loyalties that transcends that relationship! Otherwise you run the risk of compromising the interests of the membership.

I have some news for you.

Doing 3rd Party Maintenance is not a new idea at the Tulsa Maintenance Base.

When I hired on at AA, we were doing FedEx, Piedmont, Continental, KC-135 Re-Engine for the Military. And yes we were profitable doing so.

The reason Crandall moved away from outside 3rd party work was not because we could not make a profit, it was because the Tulsa Base was the only maintenance base and with the growth AA experienced in the 1980's ALL of that capacity was needed to maintain AA's Fleet. It was a capacity issue, not a profit issue.

What is "NEW", is the sellout union leadership who think we need to give productivity improvements without a guaranteed return of concessions on top of the $620 Million given in the restructuring agreement. (Retract that) This sellout unionism is not new either! It also waas in place when I hired in to AA.

I hear DOCK 2D is taking on 17 each Heavy RJ Checks from Eagle. That's Good News! But is doesn't seem to be returning my lost pay and benefits. Nor is there any sign of negotiations to return the workers losses. Only agenda I hear from the leadership is returning headcount and jobs. All I hear from the membership is return of pay and benefits. There seems to be a major seperation of agendas between leaders and members. And the leaders become more like management everyday. It is no longer the union against management. It is the union MEMBER against the Management/Union Leadership!

Bill has it all wrong, most are not opposed to bringing in third party work at all. What most oppose is the smoke and mirrors campaign spin machine that prentends this is a "new" idea, when many of us know it is not new at all. That along with the failure to secure any agreement whatsoever that the profits will be returned to the employees that have sacrficed. There is not even a guarantee that the profits will be re-invested into the Tulsa Base. That my friend is where the big run is with folks I talk to daily. Of course with Bill and other STOOGES, any talk that opposes the current direction is nothing more than spin and nay sayer in their minds. Yeah that's right Bill, if wanting my pay and benefits back is putting your panties in a wad, then you can just crawl under Carmine's desk and little farther, and pretend I do not exist.

Seems to me we are working much harder for much less and no guaratee we get our concessions back. And this is downright weak and worthless leadership!

".....Burchette explained the union's change in thinking thusly:
"At one time we wanted all the work in-house, and we didn't care if it was profitable or not. Now we make a case to have the work in-house. In fact, we have an agreement that if we're not profitable [performing a maintenance service] within two years and we can't fix it so it will be, then we let the work go outside....""

Is this a verbal agreement, or a letter of "understanding"?
Because I can not find it in the contract.
Dennis, you cant keep your mouth shut ,can you?

This is the same type of leadership agreement that builds the new union hall after three membership votes NOT to build one.

Doesn't really matter if it is verbal agreement or letter of understanding, you are just a piss ant member in their eyes, who does not matter unless you fail to remit your union dues.

This is the same type of leadership agreement that builds the new union hall after three membership votes NOT to build one.

Doesn't really matter if it is verbal agreement or letter of understanding, you are just a piss ant member in their eyes, who does not matter unless you fail to remit your union dues.

burchette will be voted out at which time he will secure a cushy job with management, and the cycle will continue.

We are our own worst enemy, never learning the lesson but continue to cave to the rhetoric..."Brother at least you have a job".

Agreed.
I found it significant though that for the first time (that I know) a 514 official actually went on record admitting
that an agreement is in place to outsource all, and that a defined timetable is also in place.
Up to now all I heard was management/union official’s threats
about it.
Having a formal agreement in place is a whole different ballgame, and something that should finally convince
even the most ......innocent minds around, that it is time for these Union crooks to go.
At this point and after this what do we have to loose anyway?