American merger - a downgrade or upgrade

ContUNITEus

Veteran
May 4, 2011
You know how DP and his executive team gutted US Airways. So I was wondering, what's in the plan for the combined airline? Is this combination an upgrade to US Airways, or a downgrade to AA, considering that in the material aspect of it, the overall US Airways product was downgraded by HP, post merger.

For example, will they now add entertainment to US/HP Aircraft or will they gut the remainder of the AA fleet, the same way that HP gutted the US Airways aircraft?

Or will they just run a big'ole'mess of an airline?

Reactions: 2 people
It will probably be a slightly bigger mess than todays mess. Until the same happens to us.that happened to twa,aircal and reno.

Sorry folks no insult intended but that's what aa does well these days mismanage assets.

You know how DP and his executive team gutted US Airways. So I was wondering, what's in the plan for the combined airline? Is this combination an upgrade to US Airways, or a downgrade to AA, considering that in the material aspect of it, the overall US Airways product was downgraded by HP, post merger.

For example, will they now add entertainment to US/HP Aircraft or will they gut the remainder of the AA fleet, the same way that HP gutted the US Airways aircraft?

Or will they just run a big'ole'mess of an airline?

It will be an upgrade for US Airways. The US Airways product was already in the dumpster when ther merger took place with America West in 2005. DP and his Management team did the best they could with the regional airline of the east. Now with him taking over American he will be able to develope a true global airline that can actually cater to the traveling public and offer them all that US Airways never could.

Reactions: 4 people
Just about every high mileage AA flier I've spoken to believes it will be a downgrade. Most of us have already split our flying between AA and either UA or DL.

I'd already shifted the bulk of my flying after the operational issues last year. Until there's more clarity on which direction the product will be heading, there's no incentive to come back.

Reactions: 1 person

History repeats itself.
For what its worth, I look for DP to America West-ize AA.
They (US management) do not know to operate an airline in any other way (except for the cheap HP regional low cost model).
They're already way over their heads with US.

It will be an upgrade for US Airways. The US Airways product was already in the dumpster when ther merger took place with America West in 2005. DP and his Management team did the best they could with the regional airline of the east.

It's amazing he got anything done with the incessant whining, doom and gloom attitudes acquired with the last merger.

Some people have the ability to turn lemonade into lemons.

Actually, I semi take my statement back. AA's in the perfect position for a merger with HP/US. They don't have (in-seat) IFE in their domestic fleet like Delta. So it'll make the decision to rip it all out (a-la-HP) much easier.

Gut that b!tch... I say... ...even leave an empty space (with the connectors exposed) where the ovens go...

You AA folks will, though, be in for a shocker (culturally that is) when they decide to rip it all out. It happened at US... despite all of the kicking and screaming from employees and customers. DP has the ability to take ghetto to a whole new level that most will find hard to come to grips with at first... Just when you thought you had seen it all with your AA management, here comes DP to show you were wrong. You can even go lower than that.
"You can go lower?" you ask.
"yes, you can" I reply...
"Who would have thought?"

And just to clarify, HP also had overhead entertainment (like US). Premerger US also had some powerports. But it was ultimately HP management that decided to ghettofy things and take it to an extreme following AA's lead of cutting into the customer experience.

In many ways, this marriage with AA is perfect. AA was a leader when it came to doing bad things such as being the first mayor US airline to charge for checked bags (correct me if I am wrong). But it was US, I mean HP, that said: "not only can we follow AA's lead, we can show 'em that we're even more ghetto. So, we'll also make the customers pay for everything on the plane, such as a drink of water." You had two bad airlines. HP and US - when they merged, became, well, even badDer. Now you throw in another bad airline, wow.... and it's a marriage made in heaven. These three(two) airlines AA/US revolutionized the airline industry in America, for the worse. We'll see eventually what the final product will be.

I truly wish to see a reversal of all these things that both airlines championed. It would be nice to get on a plane with a nice modern cabin and perhaps even IFE or powerports.

Reactions: 3 people
Actually, I semi take my statement back. AA's in the perfect position for a merger with HP/US. They don't have (in-seat) IFE in their domestic fleet like Delta. So it'll make the decision to rip it all out (a-la-HP) much easier.

Gut that b!tch... I say... ...even leave an empty space where the ovens go...

You AA folks will, though, be in for a shocker (culturally that is) when they decide to rip it all out. It happened at US... despite all of the kicking and screaming from employees and customers.

And just to clarify, HP also had overhead entertainment (like US). Premerger US also had some powerports. But it was ultimately HP management that decided to ghettofy things and take it to an extreme following AA's lead.

In many ways, this marriage with AA is perfect. AA was a leader when it came to doing bad things such as being the first mayor US airline to charge for checked bags (correct me if I am wrong). But it was US, I mean HP, that said: "not only can we follow AA's lead, we can show 'em that we're even more ghetto. So, we'll also make the customers pay for everything on the plane, such as a drink of water." You had two bad airlines. HP and US - when they merged, became, well, even badDer. Now you throw in another bad airline, wow.... and it's a marriage made in heaven. These three(two) airlines AA/US revolutionized the airline industry in America, for the worse. We'll see eventually what the final product will be.

I truly wish to see a reversal of all these things that both airlines championed. It would be nice to get on a plane with a nice modern cabin and perhaps even IFE or powerports.

I don't agree with all of what you said but you did a much better job explaining why you feel the way you do.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought AA had removed the ovens in at least the coach galleys on narrowbodies.

Where AA's been a leader is powerports, and I don't see that changing. They've been able to justify the lack of seatback and overhead IFE by providing power for customer-provided devices and wifi. Smarter move in my opinion. IFE adds weight and complexity that wifi doesn't have, especially if they add video and audio streaming via GoGo that has been discussed elsewhere.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought AA had removed the ovens in at least the coach galleys on narrowbodies.

Where AA's been a leader is powerports, and I don't see that changing. They've been able to justify the lack of seatback and overhead IFE by providing power for customer-provided devices and wifi. Smarter move in my opinion. IFE adds weight and complexity that wifi doesn't have, especially if they add video and audio streaming via GoGo that has been discussed elsewhere.

I agree with you... no IFE needed... but powerports? definitely.... but HPs CEO deemed them not necessary.... AGAIN, TAKING GHETTO TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL....

Don't be surprised if the decision comes to go with the lesser of the options. He'll take it a notch down, just to show you that he can.

I remember also seeing that AA had done a nice job at covering up the area where the ovens used to be (but I could be wrong). Perhaps it was that lonely aircraft in the entire fleet. US just left a big'ole'hole with the connectors exposed where the oven used to be. With DP coming back, you can expect to see those covers being removed as it adds weight to the plane, and he would further justify it by saying that the customer would rather see what an oven connector looks like, to make the time pass by faster while waiting for the rest room.

I truly can see him putting that sort of a spin to justify a stupid decision.

Honestly I don't care what the planes look like outside or inside, I just care about job security,pay and benefits at the end of the day we don't own the airline. Loyalty has been gone a long time ago. We're just numbers.

ContUniteus, you are such a Pollyanna. When things look blackest, you're always there with the voice of doom. :lol: Actually, the sentiments you have expressed here are the fear of a number of us at AA. I'm already bothered by some of the catering changes that the company has done in the name of "saving money." The old English saying, "Penny wise and Pound foolish," comes to mind. Some of the exec platinums are already looking down at their tray in F/C then up at me with a "That's it?" look on their face. My response..."That's it."

It's amazing he got anything done with the incessant whining, doom and gloom attitudes acquired with the last merger.

Some people have the ability to turn lemonade into lemons.
You are correct snapthis...to some it doesn't matter. They will ####, moan and complain regardless what they are handed. While much of it was driven by AA management, we still have those who's sole purpose is to come to work, ####, not lift a finger, collect a paycheck and then go home.

As for the original question, I'm willing to see if DP learned his lesson and make AA (with US assets and people) the one proud airline both to fly and work for. I do have an open mind.

ContUniteus, you are such a Pollyanna. When things look blackest, you're always there with the voice of doom. :lol: Actually, the sentiments you have expressed here are the fear of a number of us at AA.

LOL

I know.... I know.... I should be like "DP and posse learned a lesson, they'll completely make AA the besTEST airline in the world.... It'll all be fabulous... DP learned his lesson and it's all gonna be great. We're gonna be the bestest airline in the world."

It's all good n'exciting.... we're gonna be great... there will be no base closures... just growth and more and more and more employees to make this a great (the GraTEST) airline in the world... integration will be a breeze... We'll be the one airline, the one with the American flag stickered on the tail and the best domestic onboard product in the American skies

:)

It's better than working along side someone who thinks the world is coming to an end every day and hasn't cracked a smile since puberty, let alone thinking he has the worst job in the world! :)

Reactions: 4 people