American Must Do More To Survive!

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
American must do more to survive

By Mitchell Schnurman

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A year ago, American Airlines went to the brink to stave off bankruptcy.

But did it go far enough to turn the company around? To cut expenses? To change hearts and minds?

We still don't know.

American took a calculated gamble last spring, betting that management and labor could reach an agreement on their own and lower costs enough to revive the organization.

Others, including some in the company, believed that only a bankruptcy judge could force the deep changes that were needed.

Workers went along with a plan to slash $4 billion in expenses, almost half of it coming from their wages, benefits and work rules.

American has made a lot of progress since then, and its stock price has increased fourfold in the past year. But the airline is still operating in the red, and long-term profits are uncertain.

In Sunday's Star-Telegram, reporter Trebor Banstetter tracked the financial performance of an American flight from Dallas/Fort Worth Airport to New York's JFK. The numbers illustrate American's predicament: Its moves improved margins by almost 80 percent, yet the flight still lost money.

"It used to be a lot of money, and now it's a small amount," said Scott Nason, American's vice president of revenue management.

"And there's nothing I can see that says we're on a trend to become profitable," he added.

All that painful work, and it's still not working, at least not on that route.

American benefits from losing less money, of course. And other flights are generating profits, the company says, thanks to the cost cuts. But at some point, American has to get in the black across its network and on the bottom line.

That's the only way to keep shareholders and employees happy, to hold out the hope for a growth story.

When workers narrowly approved last year's concessions, many questioned whether management had devised a turnaround plan that would work.

Unlike other troubled carriers, such as United and Delta, American didn't have any radical proposals. There was no new airline-within-an-airline, for example.

And unlike USAir, it wasn't overhauling the entire fleet.

American was sticking with its usual business model, with one big caveat: Do it cheaper.

American executives have always believed that they could get a premium price for tickets. A far-flung network, a big frequent-flier program and brand loyalty had to be worth something -- just not as much as in the late 1990s, they said.

So if American could cut costs by $4 billion, the thinking went, it could thrive in a world where discount carriers were sprouting and expanding.

But there's less talk these days about ticket premiums, and the flight to JFK shows why. Only one of the 106 passengers paid the full fare for the first-class cabin.

The rest in first class were frequent fliers with upgraded tickets.

Maybe that's why Chief Executive Gerard Arpey is telling people that the revenue strategy has to change, with fewer people willing to pay a lot more for more flights and more convenience.

Instead, Arpey touted Southwest Airlines in a recent address, praising the king of the discounters as a model. That's a welcome acknowledgment from American Airlines' leaders.

It sounds as if Arpey realizes that businesses will be watching their spending closely, even when the economy turns, and using the Internet to find the best deals.

So cutting costs will continue to be the key to American's turnaround. Arpey is telling employees they have to keep focused on costs, as if he's afraid that workers will imagine they have more breathing room than they do.

It's still early in American's rebuilding, and optimists and pessimists can both cite trends. Losses are declining, but so is market share. Costs are down, but discount carriers are cutting further, too.

A rebounding economy could be a boon, especially with United still in bankruptcy court and Delta trying to get its pilots to take pay cuts. On the other hand, another tragedy linked to travel could be devastating.

American also faces big pension payments and a huge debt load.

Its debt hurt the financials on the D/FW-JFK flight, and that shows how tough the road to recovery may be.

American doesn't face direct competition from a low-cost airline on that route, which should give it more pricing power. But JFK is also a funnel for international traffic, so American offers lower fares, expecting to make up costs on the connection.

That strategy helped American become the largest airline in the world.

Now it needs more to restore the glory.

The heated rivalry between US Airways' (UAIR:Nasdaq - commentary - research) management and pilots has given way to tense cooperation. This is the latest example of a fundamental shift in labor relations due to growing competition from low-cost carriers, and it could also mean good things for other carriers that are still hoping to renegotiate union contracts.

The situation at US Airways, which emerged from bankruptcy protection last year, is a prime example of how hostility can flare and then quickly fade as losses mount and both sides realize they must work together -- or perish. US Airways' pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, recently said they are willing to negotiate with management on a concessions package that could include additional pay cuts.

Two months ago, the pilots had a different stance, calling for the resignation of CEO David Siegel and CFO Neil Cohen. They were saying management had squandered the $1 billion in pay cuts the union had already granted, not including the termination of its pension plan.

"We are not changing our position about senior management; however, business is business and we're not going to watch the rest of the building burn while waiting for a management change," said Jack Stephan, a spokesperson for US Airways' pilots union. "We will engage with management in a comprehensive solution to return airline to profitability. It will require participation by all parties, not just pilots."

This isn't to say that all of US Airways' unions are willing to negotiate; the company's flight attendants, for instance, have sued management for breach of contract.

"In order to move forward, we need detailed information on how management intends to turn this company around, including how all levels of management intend to participate in the sacrifices required by the new plan," said Perry Hayes, president of the flight attendants union at US Airways. "Bad management decisions are costing this airline millions. After two rounds of huge concessions to save this airline, the employees will not solely bear the brunt of management's continued inability to return this airline to profitability."

The Hard Line Softens
The flight attendants may be talking tough, but the pilots' reversal indicates an industrywide recognition on the part of unions that struggling carriers can't return to profitability without their help. Today's unions won't cut off their nose to spite their face, unwilling to become the next Eastern Airlines, where unionized employees went on strike against CEO Frank Lorenzo in 1989, an act that helped lead to the carrier's demise.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that business is not improving dramatically. It's tough out there, and the thought is that sooner or later, unions are going to have to give -- it's just a question of when," said Helane Becker, airline analyst at The Benchmark Company, a New York-based brokerage firm.

Indeed, in today's environment, unions are willing to negotiate earlier in hopes of averting a lengthy stay in bankruptcy. The fates of AMR (AMR:NYSE - commentary - research), parent of American Airlines, and United Airlines (UALAQ:Nasdaq - commentary - research) are testament to this fact.

In December 2002, United filed for bankruptcy, the largest in the history of commercial aviation. Fourteen months later, the carrier has yet to emerge from bankruptcy, continuing to file for extensions, despite cutting employee wages and thousands of jobs. In April 2003, American's unions avoided this fate, agreeing to a last-minute package of massive wage concessions that not only staved off a Chapter 11 filing but returned the airline to profitability a year ahead of schedule.

All Together Now
The rise of low-cost competition has forced management and unions to put aside their differences and form a united front. Both Southwest Airlines (LUV:NYSE - commentary - research) and Frontier Airlines (FRNT:Nasdaq - commentary - research) plan to introduce service from Philadelphia, a US Airways hub, and that has already lowered ticket prices before a single plane leaves the runway.

As a result of the competition and high fuel prices, US Airways management said it needs to cut costs by as much as 25% in order to stay competitive. In the fourth quarter, US Airways' unit costs were 11.7 cents a mile, while Southwest's were 6.5 cents a mile.

"In US Air's case, Frontier and Southwest have both moved into Philadelphia with fares that are much lower than what's out there now," said Becker. "There's no surprise that US Air has a business plan that's not workable."

In this climate, some of the industry's longest struggles over wage concessions have ended. On Dec. 30, 2003, America West (AWA:NYSE - commentary - research) ended a four-year battle with unionized pilots, who narrowly approved a three-year contract. Seven weeks later, on the same day that US Airways' pilots announced their willingness to negotiate, America West reached a tentative four-year agreement with its Transport Workers Union. The agreement is subject to ratification, a process which begins in late March, paving the way for a signed contract as early as April.

The wage cuts from unions are part of America West's plan to lower costs, boost revenue and return to profit -- moves that would result in more jobs. In 2004 the carrier plans to aggressively expand capacity by 10%, and it plans to hire 1,000 new employees to do it.

The deals not only enable America West to keep costs in check, they also help the carrier gain momentum in its ongoing negotiations with flight attendants and mechanics. Also, the deals keep the carrier in line with the terms of a loan guarantee from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board, which was created after the World Trade Center attacks to provide liquidity to the airline industry. Under a seven-year business plan that allowed America West to secure the loan guarantee, the company agreed to limit pay increases. (If found in violation of that plan, the company would have to pay off its loans sooner than expected.)

Concessions a Matter of When, Not If
With the industry betting on an economic turnaround, management and unions are looking to build airlines with a chance to succeed over the long term, even if it means pain in the short term.

"We wish a lot was different," said Stephan, spokesperson for US Airways' pilots. "And one thing that's not changing is the competitive environment out there. We will work with management to come up with a solution. We have a lot of work ahead of us. This will have to be something that everyone takes part in. We're not looking for incremental fixes but an all-encompassing solution."

Ultimately, the recent developments at US Airways and America West can be seen as positive steps for shareholders of other carriers that are looking for wage concessions from unions, namely Delta Air Lines (DAL:NYSE - commentary - research) and Northwest Airlines (NWAC:Nasdaq - commentary - research).

"All of the traditional carriers are in a bad place right now, but they're in a good place to negotiate with unions because they can easily prove business is not profitable at the moment," said Thom Nulty, partner Corporate Solutions Group, a travel consultancy firm in Monarch Beach, Calif. "They're in the driver's seat."

While unions and management seem more willing to bury the hatchet to stop the rise of low-cost carriers, concessions will not be easily won. Gerald Grinstein, Delta's CEO, wants to renegotiate the company's contract with pilots, which doesn't expire until May 2005, but he has said that a deal might not be reached in 2004. But unlike the disastrous spite-and-malice show that led to the insolvency of Eastern Airlines and other carriers in the past, the major difference now is that concessions will come before it's too late.

"The Delta pilots, in the end, they'll get a deal. It's going to be later rather than sooner at this point," said Becker, noting that all terms of the contract become open for negotiations in August. "Nobody ever wins in the type of negotiations we have in the airline industry, but the leverage is shifting from labor to management at Delta."

CIO,

Are you telling us to get ready for another round of Concessions Agreements?

US Airways AMTs, represented by the IAM-AFL-CIO, agreed to one round of concessions only to be faced by a second round of concessions and now a THIRD round of concessions.

UAL AMTs, represented by the IAM-AFL-CIO, agreed to one round of concessions only to be faced by a second round of concessions for the Pensions.

With Congress, by a huge Bi-Partisan Margin, agreeing to put off decisions on Pension funding until one YEAR after the next major ELECTION CYCLE: are you telling us our Pensions may be in trouble?

I have '88 seniority at MCI and am not afraid to let them close this base down. It might take me a while to recover but I will, and my brothers that are left will have top pay and benefits!

The industrial pig unions have got to be stopped, bunch of communistic undemocratic, homophobics!

The TWU is the Best Choice in Representation! Get the Facts! Learn the Truth!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will you realize the only thing that changes is the paint on the tail. This is my 3rd stop and I will gladly move on to the next airline if I have to. Unfortunately the constant concessionary give backs of the worthless twu keep sending the standards of this profession lower and lower. You will never understand that there will all ways be air planes to fix and keeping the standard of fixing them is something the twu can not do. It is a ramp union and a company union. You can not see the big picture and you probably never will. keep smoking that pipe :blink: may be some day you will under stand. Keep paying your twu dues and you will all ways have a job but just not one you can be proud of. You have to take a stand at some point or remain a coward the choice is yours but the twu is full of cowards just look around. Its time for someone else to lower thier standard of living the twu has been doing it for me for 17 years get rid of the twu cancer before it kills you sign a card :angry:

MaryLou said:
I have '88 seniority at MCI and am not afraid to let them close this base down. It might take me a while to recover but I will, and my brothers that are left will have top pay and benefits!

The industrial pig unions have got to be stopped, bunch of communistic undemocratic, homophobics!
You MaryLou are an asset to amfa and are the reason I am fighting!

I am glad you have such high regards for your fellow union brothers and sisters.

MARYLOU FOR AMFA PRESIDENT!!!!!!

I'm telling ya...MaryLou is setting on a goldmine...oh wait...can't say that for sure..don't know her assets...no pun intended.

amfa is setting the standard for our profession to take a nosedive. It is amfa that has allowed the continuing outsource rate to rise due to their ineptness in negotiations. It is amfa setting the standards for all airlines to follow, the destruction of major o/h bases and the furloughs of 10,000 workers. It is amfa that will be our demise, proven through their history. amfa has made it difficult for AA to survive, now aa contends with other airlines having the ability to outsource while AA pays us higher wages, if more concessions are coming you can thank amfa's boyzzzzz, they should have stayed in real-estate and left our industry alone.

The outsorcing of work is not due to AMFA or the TWU per say.These airlines are sending the work to places where the labor can be had for $5.00 per day.There is no way that the American Worker can compete with these labor rates.The major difference between AMFA and TWU is AMFA wants proper compensation for skilled jobs whereas TWU wants to save them all at any costs including INHOUSE OUTSOURCING.
It is just a matter of time before AA threatens to outsource more jobs or trade for more concessions.Hold on to your wallet if the TWU still represents us when this occurs.Arpey is publicly saying he has to CUT MORE COST. The wages and benefits are the first place he will come to again.The TWU did not read the sign that said "DO NOT FEED THE BEARS" and the BEAAR will come back for more food.Have a nice day!

MaryLou said:

OK MaryLou, go ahead and vote amfa, but when your job is permantley gone because they shut down MCI, (the only place you have any seniority left) you can proudly go out and say "look at me, I showed em". I'm a middle aged airplane mechanic looking for a job along with thousands of others, but I showed em.

You want to listen to TA? Go ahead, you two deserve each other. :down:

Mary Lou I'm proud of you,

It takes guts to make a stand, it take guts to take all the abuse the industrial unionist will throw at you. Like you Mary Lou, I have taken a stand. I choose to stand on my own two feet rather than grovel for a job. I am skilled and there are many other places where I can work on aircraft if need be. We've given in to one round of concessions and layoffs and with the TWU's help we'll give them another.

I was reading today were 80% of the aircraft cleaners at Frontier did not want to go teamsters, yet the cleaners have been placed in with the teamsters. The teamsters were delighted with the descision. There's something wrong when 80% don't want it and your saddled with it anyway. That's not democracy. Industrial unions don't care about you and I, they care about making profits whether you want them or not.

Another thing I read today was UAL's new concessionary contract. It was dated July 11, 2003 and AMFA was voted in July 15, 2003. The IAM must have worked overtime to screw their employees before AMFA came in. If IAM had cared about the membership rather than signing a concessionary contract on the 11th they could have waited until the results of the election were in. They KNEW AMFA would not have signed it.

Mary Lou don't let them wear you down! We'll be AMFA before you know it. The only thing they can do is try and scare the hell out of everyone and tell people AMFA will lose their jobs-they sure can't brag on their record. The fact is the TWU worked with the company to lift system protection to kick people out the door. AMFA has challenged the company everytime. AMFA may have lost force majure 1 but the TWU surrendered without even fighting for our jobs.

Give me a fighting Union!

proAMFA said:
Mary Lou I'm proud of you,

It takes guts to make a stand, it take guts to take all the abuse the industrial unionist will throw at you. Like you Mary Lou, I have taken a stand. I choose to stand on my own two feet rather than grovel for a job. I am skilled and there are many other places where I can work on aircraft if need be. We've given in to one round of concessions and layoffs and with the TWU's help we'll give them another.

I was reading today were 80% of the aircraft cleaners at Frontier did not want to go teamsters, yet the cleaners have been placed in with the teamsters. The teamsters were delighted with the descision. There's something wrong when 80% don't want it and your saddled with it anyway. That's not democracy. Industrial unions don't care about you and I, they care about making profits whether you want them or not.

Another thing I read today was UAL's new concessionary contract. It was dated July 11, 2003 and AMFA was voted in July 15, 2003. The IAM must have worked overtime to screw their employees before AMFA came in. If IAM had cared about the membership rather than signing a concessionary contract on the 11th they could have waited until the results of the election were in. They KNEW AMFA would not have signed it.

Mary Lou don't let them wear you down! We'll be AMFA before you know it. The only thing they can do is try and scare the hell out of everyone and tell people AMFA will lose their jobs-they sure can't brag on their record. The fact is the TWU worked with the company to lift system protection to kick people out the door. AMFA has challenged the company everytime. AMFA may have lost force majure 1 but the TWU surrendered without even fighting for our jobs.

Give me a fighting Union!
Are the cleaners part of the class and craft of aircraft maintenance? If so then go complain to the NMB. Better yet tell your congressional reps to eliminate the RLA, and eliminate the NMB along the way.

Let's just negotiate in each state per that state's labor laws.

twuer said:
You MaryLou are an asset to amfa and are the reason I am fighting!

I am glad you have such high regards for your fellow union brothers and sisters.

MARYLOU FOR AMFA PRESIDENT!!!!!
And this from the overhaul base guys who wants to screw the line guy out of midnight line premiuim for his vacation back.

Explain your version of having regard for your fellow union men?

MaryLou said:

Mary Lou;

I admire your courage but I think you are a little off the point.

The object is not to sacrifice your job just to keep top pay, the point is we can not allow the company and the TWU exploit a temporary economic downturn to set us all back so far that we can never recover.

We know that the economy runs through cycles.

We know there are times of prosperity followed by times of recession. This has been the norm since the dawn of the industrial era.

We know that under the RLA that company's can and do drag out negotiations when times are good so they do not have to share what they have made off our labor, we also know that when times are bad that the TWU can give the company more concessions than any union in history in just two weeks of "negotiations".

We know that this industry will recover and in time there will once again be a shortage of mechanics. The governments expects that there will be 17% more A&P jobs by 2010 and nearly 38% of todays mechanics will be at or past retirement age. However thanks to the TWU we will not be able to capitalize on that.

We must get rid of the TWU because they are a hazard to our profession. Over the past twenty years they have set the standard for eliminating A&P jobs. They have transferred work out of our classification and created a subclass of permanently low paid mechanics that displaced higher paid mechanics. I think that they also participated in the FAR66 panel. FAR 66 is a proposed revision that would seriously undermine the value of our liscences by allowing the airlines to issue non-transferrable Repairman certificates that are the equal to our A&P liscence.

As members of the TWU, where the average member earns $15/hr, we are considered to be top earners. According to the philosophy of this union a loaf of bread costs every member the same therefore every member should earn roughly the same. So with the TWU there is only one way for Aircraft mechanics to go-DOWN! (However it must be noted that this same formula does not extend to the union itself. Even its employees earn six figure salaries off the members dues. Their excuse is that they worked hard to get where they got so they deserve it.)

We need to get a real union. A union that will seek to unite all aircraft mechanics. A democratic union where the members pick their leaders and where the members can remove them if they are not happy with their performance.

The writing is on the wall with the TWU. As you read some of CIOs posts you can see that they are already preparing for another round of concessions. We still have a ways to go to get to that $15/hr.

Seguro said:
I'm telling ya...MaryLou is setting on a goldmine...oh wait...can't say that for sure..don't know her assets...no pun intended.

amfa is setting the standard for our profession to take a nosedive. It is amfa that has allowed the continuing outsource rate to rise due to their ineptness in negotiations. It is amfa setting the standards for all airlines to follow, the destruction of major o/h bases and the furloughs of 10,000 workers. It is amfa that will be our demise, proven through their history. amfa has made it difficult for AA to survive, now aa contends with other airlines having the ability to outsource while AA pays us higher wages, if more concessions are coming you can thank amfa's boyzzzzz, they should have stayed in real-estate and left our industry alone.

Seguro,

As I told the TWU paid (non-union-why not an AFL-CIO CWA firm) caller today:
Both the IAM and the TWU are members of the AFL-CIO.

Sonny Hall, the president of the TWU, is the Director of the Transportation Trades Department of the AFL-CIO.

the IAM was the Union Representing the Maintenance & Related at UAL when 60% of their overhaul was given away.

the IAM wrote the scope language AMFA inherited at NWA and the outsourcing of Maintenance & Related jobs began under the IAM.

the IAM agreed to the MULTIPLE concession packages for the Maintenance & Related with US Air, and is facing yet another round of concessions.

the TWU has the weakest scope language in the industry, it would allow up to 49% of the work covered by the line, cross service and overhaul agreements to be sent out.

the TWU introduced "B" Scale wages into aviation.

the TWU gave away Maintenance & Related jobs when they gave away pushbacks and deicing in 1983.

the TWU gave away Maintenance & Related jobs when they allowed Rockwell Collins to perform avionics work on our aircraft.

the TWU gave away Maintenance & Related work when they allowed mod work to be outsourced during the IFE conversions.

the TWU gave away Maintenance & Related jobs when they refused to grieve station staffing when both the TWU Intl. and the company agreed that stations should be staffed.

the stuff that the IAM at US Air and UAL were asked to give up in bakruptcy in 2003, the TWU gave up willingly, in 1983, to create more ramp jobs while giving away Maintenance & Related jobs.

the TWU hired a former financial analyst for the company to perform an analysis for the TWU during the "concessions" negotiations.

the TWUs' company financial analysts', the TWU says, did not tell them about the KERP and SERP plans (how do you miss 45 Million dollars?) before the voting (except for some 3500 TWU members) and the TWU lied when they accepted the tainted vote (without further ratification)

So please continue to tell me how AMFA, who has never represented me, can do worse than the buffoons I have now?

Latest posts