American nears Deal with Pilots over Eagle Flying

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
American Nears Accord on Eagle Flying Contract, Pilots Say
By Mary Schlangenstein - Jun 6, 2011 2:15 PM PT

American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (AMR) is close to an agreement on regional flying that would be provided by American Eagle as a stand-alone carrier, Eagle’s pilot union said.

The Air Line Pilots Association at Eagle also said it’s told AMR about concerns that the smaller airline won’t be able to employ enough pilots for the proposed business plan, according to a member update posted on the union’s website.

AMR, based in Fort Worth, Texas, has been studying for almost a year whether to separate American Eagle through a spinoff, public offering of stock, or a sale. AMR wants Eagle to compete for the business of ferrying passengers from smaller cities to hub airports operated by American, the third-biggest U.S. carrier.

“It is our understanding that management is nearing completion in their negotiations over a potential air-services agreement between Eagle and AMR, and we expect to be briefed on AMR’s version of this document next week,” the notice said.

The message didn’t provide specifics about why union leaders were concerned about pilot staffing at Eagle.

Dan Garton, Eagle chief executive officer, told employees last month that a decision to divest Eagle may be the best option for the airline’s future success.

Eagle’s traffic, or miles flown by paying passengers, rose 17 percent in May from a year earlier, the carrier said today in a statement. Traffic climbed 16 percent for the year through May.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Schlangenstein in Dallas at [email protected]

Why are they concerned that they will not be able to staff the airline?
Perhaps because the 5 year reprieve the airlines got when they extended mandatory retirement to 65 has run its course and as you can see the number of people looking to become Airline Pilots has been cut in half.

Category of Certificates 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000
Airline Transport 3,113 5,204 5,918 4,748 4,750 4,255 3,892 4,718 7,070 7,715

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/2009/

AA estimates that on average their mechanics will each put in around 40 hours of OT per month for each of the next five years, OT mitigates the shortage of mechanics however pilots are limted as to how many hours they can fly, so the shortage of pilots will have unavoidable consequences. For mechanics the shortage makes job actions such as refusing to work OT and or CHAOS a very effective alternative to an outright strike.

I need to finish up my ratings,might be able to use them in the future? Although I would have to file for food stamps after getting hired.
That's precisely why its going to be difficult to find pilots.

There was a recent arbitration for the pilots flow through that will allow for up to 1000 pilots to go to AA. With the new pilot mins law in Congress and the other regional airlines also hiring the prospect pool isn't very big.

Bob
That's an interesting number. Where did you get it?

From the cost out. The company estimates that the 3% increase to the chart rate will result in an additional $7 million in OT costs.

Apparently they've been unable to get the applicants they're seeking as the TULE AMT ext posting submission deadline has been moved out twice now.
First it was Jun 1st, then 8th, then 28th-now back in to 22nd I think it is. Any words from inside the base?? (besides OT is out of control ;-)................

Right now Eagle pilots are leaving as fast as they are hiring.

With the rumor Eagle is going to be sold or dismantled, why would anyone stay?

This is AMR's own fault. They should have kept their yap shut and quietly shopped around for a buyer.

I would imagine that a lot of pilots at AE took the job there in hopes of getting their foot in the door at mainline. If AE is split off, I don't see an easy flow-through from AE to AA in the future. Of course, I don't know that it is an easy flow-through now, but being totally out of AMR corporation certainly won't help.

Reactions: 1 person
Right now Eagle pilots are leaving as fast as they are hiring.

With the rumor Eagle is going to be sold or dismantled, why would anyone stay?

This is AMR's own fault. They should have kept their yap shut and quietly shopped around for a buyer.

Eagle was never considered to be a career job, it was a place you went to get the experience needed to get a job at the majors. Because the majors paid well outfits like Eagle could get away with paying so little. Well now the majors dont pay so well so people arent as willing to work for outfits like Eagle for so little anymore because there's no future in this industry.

As the shortage of Pilots and mechanics becomes more critical the bottom feeders like Eagle will be the hardest hit. AA would be better off shedding Eagle than trying to keep it staffed. AA is already raiding Eagle for workers.

Eagle was never considered to be a career job, it was a place you went to get the experience needed to get a job at the majors. Because the majors paid well outfits like Eagle could get away with paying so little. Well now the majors dont pay so well so people arent as willing to work for outfits like Eagle for so little anymore because there's no future in this industry.

Flight Attendant was never thought of as a career, either, until the flight attendants decided they liked doing it and changed the rules so they could transform a transitory entry-level position into a life-long career. The Eagle pilot payscale has an 18 year progression (been that way for years), so I doubt Eagle pilots didn't see it coming.

As the shortage of Pilots and mechanics becomes more critical the bottom feeders like Eagle will be the hardest hit. AA would be better off shedding Eagle than trying to keep it staffed. AA is already raiding Eagle for workers.

As Eagle is one of the highest paying regional carriers, I doubt it will have as many problems finding pilots and FAs as the true-bottom feeders.

Spoke with a Eagle captain once... He had 20 years with Eagle, and liked being able to go home every other night instead of flying a 3 or 4 day trip. Apparently there are quite a few pilots who like that stability, and don't want to deal with the hassle of commuting or worrying about when their base will be closed... Not everyone is in it for the money and glamour.

As long as airlines like Mesa and Great Lakes are still able to staff the airline, I don't think Eagle has much to worry about.

As long as airlines like Mesa and Great Lakes are still able to staff the airline, I don't think Eagle has much to worry about.

They may be able to staff, but at what cost? Eagle captains are currently being offered 300% pay to fly over their vacation this summer.

Must be nice to fly a 50-seat RJ and make more than a 777 captain.

quote name='Bob Owens' timestamp='1307854189' post='808082']
"Eagle was never considered to be a career job, it was a place you went to get the experience needed to get a job at the majors."

Spoken like a true TWU International rep. Good job.

" AA would be better off shedding Eagle than trying to keep it staffed."

Shedding it in favor of what? Doing the 50 and 70 seat flying yourselves? Shedding any city that can't connect enough pax to fill a 100 seater?
[/quote]

Reactions: 1 person
They may be able to staff, but at what cost? Eagle captains are currently being offered 300% pay to fly over their vacation this summer.

Understaffing is the reason for that 300%

From what I understand ALPA warned them about the impending staffing issues but AMR ignored them. I guess they could offer them the 300% or cancel a boatload of flights. How many of the people on your 777 are connecting from Eagle on average? I bet that would be a lot of open seats.

IT'S BECAUSE NO ONE HERE LIKE THE UPGRADE OF 10 YEARS, PEOPLE GO FLY AT GOJET FOR THE SHINY JET BULLSHEVICK AND DON'T FLY AT A CARRIER LIKE EAGLE.