American to focus on employees and product

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Now that they've stalled as long as they can.  They've even picked a new paper tray liner for the F/C meal trays before looking at employee and product issues.  (Of course, returning to the beautiful cloth tray liners was out of the question, and since the paper liners are quite often soaked they are tacky beyond words.  The concept of drying the tray before putting a paper liner down on it escapes the people in catering.)

http://atwonline.com/finance-data/ceo-american-shifts-focus-employees-product?NL=ATW-04&Issue=ATW-04_20160314_ATW-04_482&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_b&utm_rid=CPEN1000001734009&utm_campaign=5300&utm_medium=email&elq2=d896fd03077748f2a60b91c02dd03f2e

But, when they were cutting the meals (frequency and content) in F/C to coincide with US Airways meals in F/C (which were cutback to coincide with AWA meals in F/C), did they consult the employees who spend the most time with the customers?  Let me answer that one..NO.  They just left those employees to bear the brunt of the blow back from customers.

Don't know if this is ATW's report from the same Parker talk, but it mentions again that the employees "don't trust management."  I repeat...I'm shocked.

But then, there is this quote from the article, "He acknowledged that increased pay for all its employees will hit the airline’s bottom line, explaining that “we have to have an engaged and excited workforce."  And, (not said) because raises for employees would hit the bottom line, they probably will not give any that aren't mandated by an existing contract. (My hunch.  If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.)  Remember, the APFA went to the company shortly after the announcement of the largest quarterly profit in the company's history and asked for a share of that huge profit, since the flight attendants have a great deal to do with that profit.  They were told not only No, but Hell no.

Also, are the mechanics any closer to getting a contract?  I haven't heard anything that might indicate that.

Perhaps some of you from the US Airways and AWA employee contingents would care to comment on the article--particularly, the gaining employee trust portion.

Reactions: 3 people
jimntx said:
Now that they've stalled as long as they can.  They've even picked a new paper tray liner for the F/C meal trays before looking at employee and product issues.  (Of course, returning to the beautiful cloth tray liners was out of the question, and since the paper liners are quite often soaked they are tacky beyond words.  The concept of drying the tray before putting a paper liner down on it escapes the people in catering.)

http://atwonline.com/finance-data/ceo-american-shifts-focus-employees-product?NL=ATW-04&Issue=ATW-04_20160314_ATW-04_482&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_2_b&utm_rid=CPEN1000001734009&utm_campaign=5300&utm_medium=email&elq2=d896fd03077748f2a60b91c02dd03f2e

But, when they were cutting the meals (frequency and content) in F/C to coincide with US Airways meals in F/C (which were cutback to coincide with AWA meals in F/C), did they consult the employees who spend the most time with the customers?  Let me answer that one..NO.  They just left those employees to bear the brunt of the blow back from customers.

Don't know if this is ATW's report from the same Parker talk, but it mentions again that the employees "don't trust management."  I repeat...I'm shocked.

But then, there is this quote from the article, "He acknowledged that increased pay for all its employees will hit the airline’s bottom line, explaining that “we have to have an engaged and excited workforce."  And, (not said) because raises for employees would hit the bottom line, they probably will not give any that aren't mandated by an existing contract. (My hunch.  If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.)  Remember, the APFA went to the company shortly after the announcement of the largest quarterly profit in the company's history and asked for a share of that huge profit, since the flight attendants have a great deal to do with that profit.  They were told not only No, but Hell no.

Also, are the mechanics any closer to getting a contract?  I haven't heard anything that might indicate that.

Perhaps some of you from the US Airways and AWA employee contingents would care to comment on the article--particularly, the gaining employee trust portion.
 They  should be grateful there are employees like you who care about the product 

Reactions: 3 people
Worldport said:
 They  should be grateful there are employees like you who care about the product 
Thanks.  However, to an extent it's self-preservation.  I work in F/C usually.  When there are crappy meals or tacky service items, the passengers have been known to take it out on the flight attendant.  Yeah, I know you're stunned by that revelation.  :lol:

Parker & company, the team that brought you the lowest level of service among the majors along with the lowest pay and moral. I still hope for a return to the AA of yesterday, happy employees with a good attitude and proud of their airline. I realize that all was not perfect at the old AA, but passengers noticed the difference between US and AA. Charging for water was an all time low and charging their frequent flyers, their best customers, $25.00 to book an award ticket on line for domestic and $50.00 for international has Spirit airlines written all over it.
I guess times are different now and a return to the way things were, I.E. MRTC, more room throughout coach is not going to happen, but improving the way employees are viewed and treated by the company will go a long way to make AA the choice of many new customers and repeat customers. Just my take on the changes I have seen.

Reactions: 4 people
Legal or not legal its a bad thing for Parker and company,personally until that money is returned from my trust account at JP Morgan or who ever has it.I'm out.....

Hope777 said:
I was once a group of about 30, 25+ year employees where a US via HP VP told us they want us here for a Job,NOT A CAREER!

I think it is still the same mentality, this place will never be able get up to the level of Delta.......talk is cheap.

Reactions: 12 people
Silverflyer330 said:
I think it is still the same mentality, this place will never be able get up to the level of Delta.......talk is cheap.

The biggest reason that what you say is true:

Even if Parker/Kirby have the best intentions and really wish to change the culture, they do not have the wherewithal to clean house at the mid-management level.  Their (possibly) sincere good intentions will never filter down to the line employees.

Reactions: 7 people
That is a great point NYCBUS mid level managment is almost always where the issues are in any big orginization. It was that way in the Army and been my experience in the Airline biz. Hell even Kirby complained about we left some 200 million in captial expenitures on the table last year, becuase people didn't request enoug. We know the front line requested it or expressed a need and we know Sr Managment would approve it so that leaves either scared Managers or Directiors or both.....

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:
:

Even if Parker/Kirby have the best intentions and really wish to change the culture, they do not have the wherewithal to clean house at the mid-management level.  Their (possibly) sincere good intentions will never filter down to the line employees.

They DON'T.........and they WON'T.......... Your tag line says it all!

Reactions: 5 people
Well it only took the first post to trash the company - it's clear some will never be happy and go to great lengths to be negative towards Parker & co

It's so sad the axe folks have to grind if some are that miserable they should seek help - half glass full is nicer than half empty

Reactions: 1 person
jimntx said:
Well Jim, I have to report that today's first class breakfast was served on a beige cloth liner on top of a paper liner (PHL skyline). 

:)

jcw said:
Well it only took the first post to trash the company - it's clear some will never be happy and go to great lengths to be negative towards Parker & co

It's so sad the axe folks have to grind if some are that miserable they should seek help - half glass full is nicer than half empty

I am making less now than I was in 2002.  Do you really think I should be happy about the way AA treats my group?

Reactions: 7 people

Latest posts