American to lease A319s and A321s

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Looks like AA will sale-lease buy back

American Airlines plans to lease the 130 Airbus A319s and A321s that it has on order, continuing its preference for lease financing.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier and Airbus requested bankruptcy court approval for lease financing from the airframer, as well as possible third party lessors, in a court filing on 16 May.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/american-to-lease-a319s-and-a321s-386003/

Reactions: 1 person
Do you have reading comprehension problems?

Robbed asked a question, I answered it.

You posters are obsessed with what I post.

Reactions: 2 people
No MBV s or C checks. Return them to Airbus after 10 years.

Given that lease financing commitments were in place in 2011 for the first 130 Airbus single-aisle orders and first 100 new 737-family orders, this news is old news. From the July 20. 2011, press release announcing the huge Airbus and Boeing orders:

American also will benefit from approximately $13 billion of committed financing provided by the manufacturers through lease transactions that will help maximize balance sheet flexibility and reduce risk. The financing fully covers the first 230 deliveries.

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease/amr-corporation-announces-largest-aircraft-order-in-history-with-boeing-and-airbus

A320 family under go a phase C-check at different times the C-checks are phased, most are overnight and the last one is a several day check and undergo and S-Check (which is the heavy check) every six years, that is how it is done at US.

700 youve said you attended some deliveries how do they go about the financing with the lease/buy back is it done in advance before they take delivery i know you and wt got into it about that and i was wondering if they pay in advance or something similar to leasing a car if you understand what im tryin to ask

Money is usually done in advanced there is usually a timeline agreed to when the planes are bought of what takes place when, and wired to the manufacturer and paperwork is all signed off and plane turned over.

Here is information from Airbus:

Before taking delivery of an aircraft and signing the transfer of the title, the customer airline carries out a complete and detailed check. It is represented by a team of experts whose assignment is to check the conformity of the aircraft with the contractual specification. They are assisted in this by the Airbus Delivery team.
The delivery phase is spread over four or five days on average, dependant on the aircraft programme. A standard delivery procedure takes place as follows:
  • 1st day: ground checks : external surfaces, bays and cabin visual inspection, static aircraft system and cockpit checks, engine tests.
  • 2nd day: acceptance flight : checks during flight of all aircraft systems (including cabin systems) and aircraft behaviour in the whole flight envelope.
  • 3rd day: physical rework or provision of solutions for all technical and quality snags open in delivery.
  • 4th day: completion of technical acceptance. Technical closure of the aircraft and all associated documents attesting the aircraft’s compliance to the type certificate and conformity to the technical specification allowing the issuance of the Certificate of Airworthiness.
  • 5th day: transfer of the aircraft's title deeds to the customer airline: the aircraft changes owner. Preparation of the aircraft for the ferry flight to its home base.

Each representative appointed by the customer airline has responsibility for a specific number of tasks.
A typical team consists of around seven people (from engineering, quality, maintenance, flight operation, etc.) placed under the authority of a delivery team leader who centralises all the issues.

Who ultimately does the overhauls is irrelevant to the discussion.

Sale/leasebacks usually carry a term of 15-20 years, so unless Airbus has invented the maintenance free airplane, they'll need MBV's long before the term expires.

There are leasing companies who will lease you an airplane and allow you to turn it back after a couple years, but you pay the cost of that flexibility in the lease rates.

That's not the case here, though.

We've had the sale/leaseback discussion a few times over the years...

Short story is AA's been making deposits on these airplanes since the order was placed. As long as the sale portion of the transactions reflects the market value of a new airplane, AA gets the cash from the deposits back.

At US the C-Checks are phased and usually done by the line, as they are overnight checks, the several day C-Checks were done by line or heavy when I was at US.

The S-check is the overhaul check which is every six years on the A320 family.

Obviously you two know it all. However I'm sitting in Airbus genfam @ DFW. The Airbus reps and instructors have said Airbus will get the airplane back. We'll get a " fresh airplane" at that point. Hey what do I know.....

I am just telling you how the maintenance is done at US, since US all ready has the experience on the A320 family, I would think the US mtc system will be adapted, that is what happend with HP and US.

But yep, the gen fam teacher knows whats gonna happen at the merged airline, since no decisions have been made, and I doubt Airbus would agree to take a plane back after it only being in service for six years.

The C-checks are done in phases during the year, mostly all overnight checks, then a three day check, then every six years the S-checks are done.

No manufacturer would agree to take a plane back after six years and replace it with a new one, I mean dont you have any common sense?

Like E said, most leases are for 10 years or more.

And GECAS, and the other leasing companies wouldnt agree to take the plane back after six years, when a plane is lease returned all maintenance must completed before return of the aircraft.

Latest posts