American To Recall Some Pilots

s80dude

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
USA
Visit site
American Airlines Likely to Rehire Some Pilots to Replace Hundreds of Retiring Captains

DALLAS (AP) -- American Airlines says it plans next year to recall a portion of the 2,400 pilots it has laid off since 2001 to replace hundreds of retiring captains.
The number of pilots to be rehired is unclear. The airline says about 300 of its 10,000 pilots retire each year.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040528/american_pilots_9.html

Any news of recall for any group is good news! :up:

The article (or another I read today) says that the two China routes would require about 100 pilots. Based on that, the new LAX-NRT route (started in April) requires about 50 pilots, right? Where did they come from?

As far as I know:

1) The China service yet to be approved by either the United States or the Chinese governments.

2) As of now, there is no agreement between AA and the APA allowing for super long haul flights.

Don't quit you day job, if you've got one, and don't get your hopes up. Furloughed pilots are almost hostage to the 100 seat airplane. Retirements and increased long-haul flying are chickenfeed.

It is true no new agreement between the USA and china has been signed, or that AA will be chosen to serve any new routes that become available. If any new routes do become available, Alaska, or Frontier, or AWA would probably be chosen. A 737 or A320 would make it, right? Put some aux fuel tanks in the cabin and they will make it. Who cares about jet fuel odors the cabin, they got a low fare and that is all that count's right?

lpbrian said:
If any new routes do become available, Alaska, or Frontier, or AWA would probably be chosen. A 737 or A320 would make it, right? Put some aux fuel tanks in the cabin and they will make it. Who cares about jet fuel odors the cabin, they got a low fare and that is all that count's right?
You are so clever. I am at a total loss for words.

The last time that routes to China were awarded, within the last couple of years, American struck out. What makes you thing that it will be different on the next go around?

UAL and Northwest are much better positioned than American to offer service to the Far East and Delta will also be in the running.

I'm only joking. Honestly, I think AA's chances are quite good this time around. Any new agreement would no doubt allow for carriers not already serving China, that would exclude NWA and UA. CO is a stong contender but I think they already serve Hong Kong. I don't see DAL to be a major contender as they lack suitable aircraft and gateway city.

lpbrian said:
I'm only joking. Honestly, I think AA's chances are quite good this time around. Any new agreement would no doubt allow for carriers not already serving China, that would exclude NWA and UA. CO is a stong contender but I think they already serve Hong Kong. I don't see DAL to be a major contender as they lack suitable aircraft and gateway city.
I'm not optimistic at all! The feds have had an ax to grind with AA for decades and If they can find the flimisest of excuses to deny AA routes to China they will.
I've never understood why AA has not worked on this problem with Lobbyists, big donations, ANYTHING!!!

http://www.alliedpilots.org/Public/PublicR...ine/hotline.asp

This is Gregg Overman, APA Communications Director, with the APA Information Hotline for Wednesday, June 2.

INACCURATE NEWS REPORTING: Late last week The Dallas Morning News reported that American Airlines would begin recalling some furloughed pilots next year. The newspaper attributed these upcoming recalls to the need to compensate for attrition caused by pilot retirements, and to enable the carrier to add certain Asia routes.

While we would like nothing better than to announce welcome news of furloughed pilot recalls, to date we have no—repeat no—information regarding any scheduled recalls. Rest assured that if and when we receive such information, we will share it with you. In the meantime, we will encourage The Dallas Morning News to focus on reporting the facts, rather than engaging in this type of speculation.
Thank you for your understanding.

APA BOARD OF DIRECTORS SPRING MEETING: The APA Board of Directors will convene for its regularly scheduled Spring meeting beginning on Monday, June 7 at 9 AM Central at the Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center in Grapevine, Texas. The meeting is scheduled through Saturday, June 12. All APA members in good standing are welcome to attend all open portions of the meeting.
NATIONAL OFFICER ELECTIONS: As announced on Monday, May 24, there will be a runoff election between the two candidates receiving the most votes for APA President, Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer, respectively.

The American Arbitration Association issued a runoff notice and electronic voting instructions yesterday. The deadline for voting in the runoff round is set for 4 PM Central on Tuesday, June 22, with the results available later that same day. The three-year terms for APA President, Vice President, and Secretary-Treasurer begin on July 1, 2004.

We encourage all pilots to cast your vote in the runoff election before the June 22 deadline.

That’s it for today. Thank you for calling.