American told to check newer 737s

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines and six other U.S. carriers have been ordered to inspect newer Boeing Co. 737s for possible loose parts following a fire that destroyed a China Airlines plane last week.

The airlines have 24 days to check a portion of the 737 wings for loose or missing parts, said Les Dorr, a spokesman for the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. The requirement issued by the FAA covers 783 Boeing 737s operated by U.S. carriers, he said.

A loose wing-slat bolt that punctured the fuel tank was the likely cause of the Aug. 20 fire on a China Airlines Boeing 737-800, trade publication Air Transport World reported last week, citing Japanese safety investigators. All 165 passengers and crew members escaped before the fire, which began after the plane landed in Okinawa.

"That was one of the things that prompted us to do this," Dorr said in an interview. "We and Boeing are still assessing the situation."

The FAA has received reports of at least two incidents where fuel leaks resulted when parts came loose on slats, which slide out from each wing's front edge during takeoffs and landings, Dorr said.

Don't see this happening with Airbuses. Therefore, "if it's Boeing, are you still going" - NOT!!

And your point is what? That Airbuses usually DON'T go? They don't call it Repairbus for nothing you know? They can't even get the 380 into production.

Don't see this happening with Airbuses. Therefore, "if it's Boeing, are you still going" - NOT!!

Boeings lose the occasional nut or bolt which is preventable. Airbuses just lose their entire tail without notice...

I suppose you can also explain the three or four early build A320's that were mysteriously attracted to land in forests?....

I have a lot more faith in a damaged Boeing's ability to land. There is at least one documented case of a B52 flying without a vertical stab, the Aloha 737 that lost most of its forward fuselage, the UAL 747 that lost its cargo door and all the main deck skin above it, and what I recall as either a TWA or PAA 707 doing a successful a go-around at either LAX or SFO missing the outer third of a wing, which was torn off after striking something on takeoff.

I suppose you can also explain the three or four early build A320's that were mysteriously attracted to land in forests?....

I have a lot more faith in a damaged Boeing's ability to land. There is at least one documented case of a B52 flying without a vertical stab, the Aloha 737 that lost most of its forward fuselage, the UAL 747 that lost its cargo door and all the main deck skin above it, and what I recall as either a TWA or PAA 707 doing a successful a go-around at either LAX or SFO missing the outer third of a wing, which was torn off after striking something on takeoff.

I suppose you can explain why two 737's mysteriously crashed due to uncommanded full rudder inputs or the Lauda Air 767 that crashed when a thrust reverser deployed in flight. I'm not sticking up for Airbus, but Boeing has had its share of problems too. This Airbus vs Boeing thing reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguements.

Over the years, having spent time in overhaul, I can tell you Airbus and Boeing products are miles apart.
You need to see a Boeing broken down for a major check and then you need to see an Airbus broken down for a major check.

Boeing makes a superior product. Just my opinion. It's not fair to cite the number of crashes of a certain model aircraft.
For those of you who do not think there is a difference, I invite you to spend one day at JFK, and I'll show you the REAL Airbus.

There are many factors to compare...structural, mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic......

I’m hereing that they are finding bolts slightly (1/8 to ¼ turn) under torqued.

I’m hereing that they are finding bolts slightly (1/8 to ¼ turn) under torqued.
[/quote
I know of three that the A.D. was done on all had bolts slighty under torqued 1/4 turn or less all hardware was in place Bolt washers nut from what I was told the China air was missing a washer.

Latest posts