American, United get Vietnam code-share approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021004/airlines_co..._vietnam_2.html
WASHINGTON, Oct 4 (Reuters) - The government awarded American Airlines (NYSE:AMR - News) on Friday six weekly code-share frequencies to Vietnam through a third country, and United Airlines (NYSE:UAL - News) one new flight.
American and Vietnam Airlines have a marketing agreement that includes code sharing, but it cannot be activated until the Federal Aviation Administration gives Vietnam''s aviation system a higher safety rating.

ALoha,

Gooooood Moooorning Vietnam!!!

Iv been planning a trip there & Cambodia this spring via Bangkok. The beaches in the south are suppose to be beautiful. Now that the foliage has grown back.

[P]Vietnam. This new destination will turn things around for AA in a heartbeat. I can see AA flying 777-200s night and day into the next Las Vegas of the Far East in the not too distant future. Maybe Carty will hire Robin Williams to do TV ads for the new service.[/P]
[P]What's next? DFW to North Korea? ORD to Luxemburg? JFK to New Delhi? Some people in planning need to get out more often.[/P]
[P]No wonder AA is in such a financial mess. Ideas like this one make as much sense as selling pet rocks. Actually I take that back. You can probably make more money selling pet rocks than you would on incremental revenue to Vietnam. [/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/16/2002 10:17:55 AM eolesen wrote:
[P]Nice troll, MileHigh. Time for a drug tap to see if you're really a mile high...[BR][BR]Considering some of our largest trade partners are countries we were at war with in the past, I don't think this is such a bad move. [BR][BR]Vietnam has a growing economy, and just as China was 10 years ago, those who get in early will reap a lot more of the profits. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Sure its a growing country, but it ain't China. Moreover, US companies are VERY leery of dealing with Vietnam. There is little control over what goes on over there and there have been more than a couple instances when local/provincial government has decided to unilaterally abrogate agreements with US companies. I have a client who is dealing with just that situation.[/P]

Nice troll, MileHigh. Time for a drug tap to see if you're really a mile high...

Considering some of our largest trade partners are countries we were at war with in the past, I don't think this is such a bad move.

Vietnam has a growing economy, and just as China was 10 years ago, those who get in early will reap a lot more of the profits.

[P]I can see it now! Thousands upon thousands of AAdvantage members drooling on the prospects of burning miles to Hanoi! Heck, other airline frequent fliers will defect to AA just for the chance to see Vietnam![/P]
[P]Maybe Carty's secret motive is to move reservations over to Vietnam in order to cut costs?!? [/P]
14.gif']

Not only that, but a lot of people should stop and realize how many Vietnamese refugees have immigrated to the US. In case you didn't realize, there are over half a million in the US now, and many of them travel back and forth now and then (assuming they can do so freely). That's a fairly large potential market there alone. But that's not just it - many American companies have established operations in Vietnam as well. Were you aware that Ford Motor Company has an assembly plant 55 km outside of Ho Chi Minh City? They build Lasers, Rangers, Escapes, and Transits there for the local and SE Asian markets. And there are numerous other US corporations now operating in Vietnam as well, sparking some business travel demand. Direct trade between the US and Vietnam is at about $1.5 billion a year (as of 2000), and growing at about 11% per year. That would put them at about 22% of US-Austria trade or 27% of US-Norway trade. Granted, its not that terribly significant, but you don't hear anyone calling AA codeshare service to Vienna, Salzburg, or Oslo pointless or useless. The point is this gives them access to a market they had no access to previously, and without exposing the companies to any real additional risk, as none of their planes are being used. Sounds like a smart business decision to me. Will it save the company? No way, but its little things like this that can add up and make a big difference.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/16/2002 4:40:02 PM MrMarky wrote:

Since AA dropped the TWA routes to TLV, they might want to consider a code-share with AAdvantage partner El Al from LAX-TLV and JFK-TLV, as well. They could feed the crap out of the El Al flights in both cities and El Al could provide a lot of feed to AA in the US., and again, the cost would be nill. I know the Mid East isn't exactly a prime destination right now, but that won't last forever and there are huge Jewish po****tions in both LA and NY, not to mention a tremendous amount of commerce between our two countries, especially in high-tech.

mAArky
----------------
[/blockquote]

El Al has codeshares with Delta. Delta places thier code on LY EWR-TLV, JFK-TLV, and, starting soon, LAX-YYZ (but not the YYZ-TLV sector). They also codeshare on MIA-XXX-TLV, which is operated by El Al aircraft with a stop in EWR (772) or JFK (744) during the summer (during the winter it is a NAA feeder service). In addition, LY places thier codes on a handful of Delta flights to Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Dallas, and a handful of other destinations not served by El Al (in North America, LY serves JFK, EWR, MIA, LAX, ORD, and YYZ).

Just a minor side note, but Miami has the second largest Jewish po****tion in the world, larger than LA's. And Miami has the second largest Israeli immigrant community in the world. AA could make a killing on MIA-TLV, though it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.