Veteran
Mar 19, 2006
• 5. Expressjet
On-Time Performance:
73 percent (ninth worst)
Baggage Mishandling:
8.9 per 1,000 passengers (fifth)
Cancellations: 3.4 percent (fourth)
Universal Problem: Number of mishandled bags -- those lost, damaged, delayed or pilfered has nearly doubled over the past three years to more than four million incidents.
• 4. Mesa Airlines
On-Time Performance:
72.5 percent (seventh worst)
Baggage Mishandling:
10.1 per 1,000 passengers (fourth)
Cancellations: 2.7 percent (sixth)
Reason: Problems unique to specific airlines like plane readiness and crew availability are compounded by factors beyond their control, such as airport mismanagement, air traffic congestion, bad weather and, these days, longer security lines.
• 3. American Eagle
On-time performance:
69 percent (fourth worst)
Baggage mishandling:
13.5 per 1,000 passengers (second)
Cancellations: 4.4 percent (third)
Reason: American Eagle was no doubt hurt by rough weather this past year at its main Dallas-Fort Worth hub. As a small regional airline, the company's Embraer jets are more weight restricted than larger planes, meaning more bags get left behind.
• 2. Comair
On-Time Performance:
66.6 percent (second worst)
Baggage Mishandling:
11.9 per 1,000 passengers (third)
Cancellations: 5.4 percent (worst)
Reason: Comair had a 40 percent spike in demand in the Northeast this past year, where weather was also tough during the winter of 2006 to 2007. While blaming weather can be an easy cop-out, it's certainly a factor.
• 1. Atlantic Southeast
On-time performance:
63.3 percent (worst)
Baggage mishandling:
16.9 per 1,000 passengers (worst)
Cancellations: 4.4 percent (second)
Reason: Atlantic Southeast, which was sold to Skywest Airlines by Delta in 2005 but continues as Delta's connector partner, tends to get short shrift during weather delays by an Air Traffic Control system that would always rather delay flights with fewer people.

Not a US mention in sight? (Of course Mesa could be considered US), but we finally arent at the bottom of the list! Party time! (Like Tempe needs a reason to party it sounds like.... :lol: )

Also of note are the baggage issues on all carriers. I'm sure many are weight restrictions imposed on the rjs they are mostly flying. I guess its easier to take the hit on poor baggage numbers, baggage delivery and associated issues than actually flying a couple less people to get all the bags on? Maybe they need to set up a cargo RJ to fly with the passenger RJ to get all the bags out. (I remember US having to hire a van to truck bags to EYW when we had weight restrictions for 2 days straight and ended up with about 30-40 bags that we couldnt get out. Management was not happy with the bill for it, but then again, they werent having to deal with the people (and they werent listening to us when we told them to restrict the aus to compensate for this problem either!)

It is interesting to note that all 5 are basically commuter airlines - no surprises there, although I would have expected Mesa to be number 1.

How sad is it when we have to be surprised that US is NOT on the list? Oh right--there will probably be a press release about US NOT being on it...

Let's hope 2008 brings some REAL improvement at US--but until the labor issues are addressed, I just don't see it happening....

My BEST to you all....

Not a US mention in sight? (Of course Mesa could be considered US), but we finally arent at the bottom of the list! Party time! (Like Tempe needs a reason to party it sounds like.... :lol: )

Also of note are the baggage issues on all carriers. I'm sure many are weight restrictions imposed on the rjs they are mostly flying. I guess its easier to take the hit on poor baggage numbers, baggage delivery and associated issues than actually flying a couple less people to get all the bags on? Maybe they need to set up a cargo RJ to fly with the passenger RJ to get all the bags out. (I remember US having to hire a van to truck bags to EYW when we had weight restrictions for 2 days straight and ended up with about 30-40 bags that we couldnt get out. Management was not happy with the bill for it, but then again, they werent having to deal with the people (and they werent listening to us when we told them to restrict the aus to compensate for this problem either!)
NOW , where are the kegs?

It is interesting to note that all 5 are basically commuter airlines - no surprises there, although I would have expected Mesa to be number 1.

How sad is it when we have to be surprised that US is NOT on the list? Oh right--there will probably be a press release about US NOT being on it...

Let's hope 2008 brings some REAL improvement at US--but until the labor issues are addressed, I just don't see it happening....

My BEST to you all....
ART: I noted that too. I wonder if the lost bags are due mainly to OAL transfers.
It's way harder to get your bags to the right place on two different airlines. I
know that the stats try to show exactly who's to blame but mabey the bigger
airlines are more capable of covering thier a33. Im' leaving in that typo.