Amfa Fails To Get Election At Aa

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
When Amfa filed with the NMB on March 12th they claimed to have 60% (9608) of 16,014. In reality, many of the Amfa organizers were reporting 57% (9128). If you take into account the 40 cards turned in on the 15th the number may have gone up to (9168). Anyone involved in the process knows that an average of 3% to 7% of the cards are not valid due to deceased, management, retired, duplications or invalid signatures. If you take the conservative route we can assume the actual number of valid cards may be closer to (8647) 54%. When Amfa national announced they filed with 60%, the organizers had no choice but to follow suit, so as not to make Amfa look incompetent or better yet, the continue lies they publish.

Amfa made a fatal error. When they started this last failed drive the Goal was 10,500-signed cards. When it was apparent this was not achievable, AMFA’s threshold kept declining. Amfa finally settled on filing with over 1300 less cards on March 12th. This was within a few weeks of losing a large portion of signed cards. Now they want us to believe it was not their fault. Well if they had stuck with the 10,500 thresholds, an election might be held today.

You can’t tell me Amfa did not read the NMB guidelines and see there are more eligible members than the 16,014 Amfa claimed. Now they want us to believe AA inflated the numbers. When in fact it was Amfa who failed to do their homework and use a more accurate number.

AA supplied the NMB with a list of 18,698 on March 15th. And has repeatedly stayed within this threshold. The latest filing is 18,708. The NMB has ruled under the mechanic class and craft that certain individuals have the right to vote. Which does not necessarily follow AA/TWU title groups.

AA last filing was 18,708 on May 24th. Well the NMB ruled today that the actual number is 18,661. If you follow AMFA’s own guidelines, the cards that should have been collected were 11,197 (60%). Amfa submitted well over 2000 less cards. This puts the Percentage filed by Amfa at 46%. If we look back, you will see my predictions were correct. And if you look back a few weeks ago, Dave Stewart wrote that Amfa needed to keep the AA eligibility list between 17,100 and 17,500 to have an election. Who is telling whom the truth? If you go back and look at the letter Amfa passed out earlier this month they openly admit the cards submitted was approx. 9200.

Amfa will twist this around and make it appear the TWU inflated the eligibility list when in fact the TWU did nothing more than follow the NMB guidelines. Amfa will also attempt to say the TWU inflated the list by adding management, when in fact they never once considered management in the formula. In fact, we know Amfa collected cards from management.

Amfa and the organizers have done many unethical things to try to call for an election and twist the truth when in fact it has been their downfall. The truth does prevail! Don’t be fooled by the lies, intimidations and half-truths Amfa is famous for!
Amfa had their chance for 42 years with no less than 6 attempts to replace the TWU and has done nothing more than tear down the unity within the TWU. This is nothing more than a management tool. Don’t continue to be a fool, look and you will see Amfa for what they are! “Losersâ€￾.

I ask you to stop and see the true majority has chosen to stay with the TWU by not signing a card! I hope the Amfa organizers will have enough respect to honor the majority wishes.

The many volunteers within the TWU are willing and waiting in case the Amfa wannabes raise their heads again. I want to thank all the TWU Brothers and Sisters who have spent the time to educating the members about the pitfalls of Amfa!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 16, 2004

Ray Abernathy, 202-302-3060

Statement by Jim Little, Director, Air Transport Division
and International Administrative Vice President, Transport Workers Union
on today’s National Mediation Board Decision

Today an investigator with the National Mediation Board (NMB) determined that there are 18,661 eligible voters within the mechanics and related classifications at American Airlines. Based on information previously made public by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), this determination indicates that there will not be a representation election at American Airlines between AMFA and TWU.

We appreciate the diligence of the NMB in this matter.

We are very proud of our members who supported TWU and we extend our hand to those who supported AMFA. It is time for all of us to come together and build a strong union that will fight for our future.

Two years ago when the TWU filed with the NMB for representional rights due to the merging of TWA-LCC they claimed that the total amount for our class and craft was around 16000. Now were they lying then or are they lying now?

Common sense would dictate that they are lying now because there would be no motive to lie then since it was uncontested.

Either way, even if we dont have enough cards, now we have a list and know for sure exactly how many cards are needed, and the number gets smaller every day. As for the cabin cleaners, most of them work the line, many have already filled out AGW cards, it wont be too hard to get them to fill out AMFA cards.

It is almost like an orchestrated movie. AA, TWU, and AFL-CIO Investigator.

And this type of ruling is completely unorthodox from the NMB.

I don't think anyone is likely to retreat to supporting the TWU and Jim Little. I know I wont be joining ranks with those that have to inflate the list in an attempt to prevent an election.

Let's just see what happens next.

RANDY McDONALD for TWU LOCAL 514 PRESIDENT!
Give 'em what they want and deserve fellas!!!!!

Dave you state you dont want to join the ranks with those that have inflatd the list------

Than you want to vote for Randy!

What is wrong with this picture! Anyone else see what I see?

Dave will you post the true numbers of valid cards submitted by Amfa?

The NMB knows that Amfa will ask for an extension to reveiw the eligibility list so they have come out to give you this oppurtunity.

Checking it Out said:
Dave you state you dont want to join the ranks with those that have inflatd the list------

The NMB knows that Amfa will ask for an extension to reveiw the eligibility list so they have come out to give you this oppurtunity.
Are you saying that Randy inflated the list?

I would not be suprised of collusion between the NMB and the union, especially when the company does not want AMFA either.

Now everyone can see that the company wants the TWU, and why wouldnt they?

The only thing that a company likes better than no union is a sweatheart union.

Last year Chuck and I were at the COPE Conference where one of the guest speakers was an NMB official who got his appointment with the help of the TWU. He commented on how they have to stop AMFA. So I would not be suprised to hear that the NMB agreed with the inflated numbers despite the fact that when the compay filed two years ago, and AA has eliminated thousands of jobs through layoffs AND ATTRITION, they now put forth a number that was 2000 higher than it was then.

Bob, the one carrier issue has no bearings on who is or is not eligible to vote in a representation election. You of all people know the NMB does not follow the tittle groups.

Also why would a cabin cleaner sign a card knowing it would limit their movement in case of a layoff? Everyone knows you can not move between Unions! Anyway this is a closed issue for now. From talking to the many organizers I dont believe Amfa can muster another card drive at this time and collect more than what they got this time.

Checking it Out said:

I am just saying that since you guys favor the worst and weakest union representation in the industry, then Randy McDonald is your man. He saved 12,000 jobs using his TWU roll-call structured voting power. You guys have been praising these acts as the salvation of the TWU membership. You surely are not going to turn your back on him now? The AMFA supporters will join forces with you and re-elect the man that was responsible for saving the Airline, the Tulsa base, the MCI base, and 12,000 jobs. We will not allow some wannabe guy running for Local President un-seat this miracle leader that you guys have been in praise of and defending his handy work. You want that kind of union leadership, then we will give you what you want.

We have a large swing vote in Tulsa and you have how many running for President?

The NMB might be able to claim we don't have sufficient interest, but reality is always different than most Government claims.

I believe that if this ruling stands, then we are 54 cards short.

Inflated the list to 18,661 and left us 54 short. Is that your idea of a membership mandate? You had to use employees that will probably never work for AA again, to win.

Does that answer your question about card numbers?

Let's see 89 workers that didn't have in probation before lay-off (Declared Eligible)

And 50 previous IAM workers that have some pending grievance that has not been decided yet. (Declared Eligible) How long does the Industrial Union Grievance Procedure take anyway? I understand this surprise grievance is over three years old.

Fuelers and stations where ALL fueling is outsourced and therefore these workers could NOT possibly be fueling (Declared Eligible)

That list alone is enough to swing the majority our way, and you are claiming victory?OK

GO Ahead and claim we lost, one way or another, this battle will still rage.

NO VOTE - NO PEACE

Decision 2004 said:
I am just saying that since you guys favor the worst and weakest union representation in the industry, then Randy McDonald is your man. He saved 12,000 jobs using his TWU roll-call structured voting power. You guys have been praising these acts as the salvation of the TWU membership. You surely are not going to turn your back on him now? The AMFA supporters will join forces with you and re-elect the man that was responsible for saving the Airline, the Tulsa base, the MCI base, and 12,000 jobs. We will not allow some wannabe guy running for Local President un-seat this miracle leader that you guys have been in praise of and defending his handy work. You want that kind of union leadership, then we will give you what you want.

We have a large swing vote in Tulsa and you have how many running for President?

The NMB might be able to claim we don't have sufficient interest, but reality is always different than most Government claims.

I believe that if this ruling stands, then we are 54 cards short.

Inflated the list to 18,661 and left us 54 short. Is that your idea of a membership mandate? You had to use employees that will probably never work for AA again, to win.

Does that answer your question about card numbers?

Let's see 89 workers that didn't have in probation before lay-off (Declared Eligible)

And 50 previous IAM workers that have some pending grievance that has not been decided yet. (Declared Eligible)

Fuelers and stations where ALL fueling is outsourced and therefore these workers could NOT possibly be fueling (Declared Eligible)

That list alone is enough to swing the majority our way, and you are claiming victory?OK

GO Ahead and claim we lost, one way or another, this battle will still rage.

NO VOTE - NO PEACE
It does not surprise me one bit that you would take this stance Dave. You know good and well that Randy McDonald is not the right man for Pres of Local 514 yet you want to re-elect him to spite the membership who did not sigh an amfa card. Now tell me, what part of unionism does that behavior fall under??? Elections are a serious matter to most and it is really pathetic to hear you talk this way. I truly hope that you will not make this mistake in rallying the troops to make rogue votes. There are other folks at stake other than yourself Dave.

Dave I believe by not signing a card is a vote not to change representation and I also believe The Majority do believe they have peace!

As you are aware, I dont believe Randy is the best choice and I fear your motives are less than honorable. Are you doing the members an injustice? And you want us to believe, you want to represent their best interest?

twuer said:
It does not surprise me one bit that you would take this stance Dave. You know good and well that Randy McDonald is not the right man for Pres of Local 514 yet you want to re-elect him to spite the membership who did not sigh an amfa card. Now tell me, what part of unionism does that behavior fall under??? Elections are a serious matter to most and it is really pathetic to hear you talk this way. I truly hope that you will not make this mistake in rallying the troops to make rogue votes. There are other folks at stake other than yourself Dave.
What do you mean?

Randy McDonald was President and saw the membership through and avoided the potential Bankruptcy at AA.

Randy McDonlad was President when according to the TWU informer 12,000 jobs were saved.

Randy McDonald was President when according to the TWU informer all three Maintenance Bases were spared from shutdown.

Randy McDonald was President and campaigned for Vision 2025 that led to the 737 being returned to Tulsa, according to the Tulsa World and the TWU informer.

Randy McDonald was President when outsourcing at AA Tulsa Maintenance Base has been reduced every year he has been in office, according to Carmine Romano, and the TWU informer. And in addition, RAndy has obtained the LOWEST outsource percentage in the industry. While other carriers are outsourcing more work, under Randy McDonald Leadership, the outsource percentage at AA, has been reversed and is dropping.

Randy McDonald was President while Continuous Improvement has saved many jobs and according to Company Officials, and it is the direct support of the TWU under Randy McDonald Leadership that makes this company program a success.

I could go on and on about the postitive things the TWU informer, the PR Firm, Tulsa World Editor Ken Neal, and the AA Management has praised the TWU for under the direction of Randy McDonald as TWU Local 514 President.

What do you mean he is not the best man for the job? Under his Presidential Leadership, there have been positive gains and unfearful survival for the TWU Members. At least that is what I have been reading and hearing from RD "Rick" Mullings for that last twelve months? Where have you been?

If all this is not true, then why have these major successes been reported to the membership while Randy McDonald has been President? Is there a LIE in here somewhere?

Okay Dave, Will you change your shirts and become involved? You seem to understand during his term in office he was successful at keeping amfa at bay!!!!

Thanks for reminding us!!!

I guess if Randy McDonald is elected we will all know that you had some part of making that happen because as of now he has very little support. I give Randy McDonald very, very little credit for anything accomplished at Local 514. Don't get me wrong, Randy is a fine fellow, but his skills as Local 514 President are few and far between. It is time to get someone in that position who will work with the membership, not against them.

Do what you must Dave.

cio & twuer, please post where the NMB has ruled there is not enough interest for an election at AA. All the NMB has done is favor the company and stated that there are 18,661 eligible people to vote. AMFA has till June 30 to submit arguments to Ms. Hennessey's ruling.

In the past the NMB has flatly stated yes or no for any representational election. They have not done that here. Even your unelected leader jim little does not claim there will not be an election.

Even if the company's & twu's fraudulent tactics work and AMFA does in fact not have enough interest due to inflated eligibility lists there will be an election. Do the math. If there are 18,661 eligible names now how can the company and twu further inflate this list within a year? Is AA planning on buying USAir? UAL AMT's were denied a representational election because of inflated eligibility lists. They simply waited the one year necessary before filing again with enough interest.

Now tell me twu supporters. Why is the twu going to fight now to get back what jim little gave away? I would not be surprised if AA buys routes from UAL or USAir with our money. Arpey will get as much from our lousy contract language as possible before AMFA can get back what was stolen from us.

Remember... NO VOTE / NO PEACE

GO AMFA!

According my good friend Don Rodgers, this movement started in 1963 in an American Airlines Hangar in LGA. If anyone thinks the National Mediation Board BS ruling is going to reverse this movement, then they are fools.

NO VOTE - NO PEACE

NO PEACE - NO UNITY

NO UNITY - NO UNION

NO UNION - MORE CONCESSIONS

Give me a date to start and a handful of authorization cards.

I will gladly re-sign my own card and work twice as hard to get more signed than I did last time.