AMFA fighting to get R&D and fueling back.

atabuy

Senior
Oct 13, 2002
Since fuelers were included and allowed to vote for AMFA, why would they not have automaticly been moved into the AMFA union when they won the election?

AMFA is also trying to get R&D back in the Mechanics aggreement.

It makes AMFA look good and also will increase dues payers if they win either one.

Personally, this is where unions lose credibility for me. R&D was a 100% drain on Ual''s profits when other employees, who are already on the job can accomplish this duty.
These issues show unions are a liability to companies prospering.
I agree in fair wages but employees have to give up some of the jobs that have no benefit to the company.

----------------
On 7/23/2003 6:18:19 AM atabuy wrote:

Since fuelers were included and allowed to vote for AMFA, why would they not have automaticly been moved into the AMFA union when they won the election?

AMFA is also trying to get R&D back in the Mechanics aggreement.

----------------​
1) Does AMFA represent fuelers at any other major airline?

2) Exactly how is AMFA going to get R&D back while United is still in BK?

From what I understand we are looking at about 400 jobs when ramp takes over all the R&D. In reality that isn't too much of a liability on the company. I spoke to a ramper that told me the passenger is going to suffer from ramp doing R&D. They have 4 bodies working an inbound or loading a flight and 2 have to leave to push or park a flight. That slows the time it takes for the baggage to get from A/C to passenger. Also where are the saving when it takes 3-4 ramp personnel to do R&D and only 1 mechanic?

The issue of R&D became more of a personal issue rather than cost savings.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

----------------
On 7/24/2003 5:06:27 AM gatemech wrote:

From what I understand we are looking at about 400 jobs when ramp takes over all the R&D. In reality that isn't too much of a liability on the company. I spoke to a ramper that told me the passenger is going to suffer from ramp doing R&D. They have 4 bodies working an inbound or loading a flight and 2 have to leave to push or park a flight. That slows the time it takes for the baggage to get from A/C to passenger. Also where are the saving when it takes 3-4 ramp personnel to do R&D and only 1 mechanic?

----------------​
400 x 85,000 = 34 million dollars a year that the airline will save.
That is a hefty chunk of money.

It might take a little time for the ramp to get R&D down, but eventually they will and Ual will save that money. Even if they need to hire a few more rampmen, they can help load the planes before they push back. Unlike mechanics, who do no ramp work.

Adjustments always take a little time.

In a couple of stations I heard they are having difficulty with the ramp
pushing planes and some are refusing because they arent comfortable
with all the activity around them.The first few times I did I felt
sick to my stomach but after 15 years it gets to be second nature.
Stations like ORD,DEN where its pretty much just pushing straight back
there shouldnt be any problem.LAX,SFO are a different matter.I heard
in LAX there has been talk of having mechanics push out on the end
gates,and mechanics pushing out on active taxiways.Also another issue
is the maintenance towing.Bill Norman (aka Stephen King) wants the ramp
to do all the R+D plus all our maintenance towing.We only gave up pushing
aircraft back from the gate,and marshalling them in.So there is going to
be a dispute about that at least I'm sure.

Many ramp service I've talked to do not want the responsibility. However they have been doing R&D, relocate and brake rides since no MM has existed here. They also do not want to see any more layoffs. IND has seen their share of layoffs from all depts.

I have to believe operationally there is a solution.

----------------
On 7/24/2003 7:39:35 AM atabuy wrote:

----------------

----------------​

It might take a little time for the ramp to get R&D down, but eventually they will and Ual will save that money. Even if they need to hire a few more rampmen, they can help load the planes before they push back. Unlike mechanics, who do no ramp work.

----------------​
For a guy who retired from UAL, you just can't get away from it, can you? Take that and the fact you don't know what the f%$k your talking about and I can see you really must have worked here. Blab, blab, blab. Well according to Creighton, when he was here, he told me an estimated 20 million in savings, supposedly. And according to the IAM, before they left, the number given to them had changed from 400+ to 200+ since most of the major hubs use mechanics to taxi for reposition, not tow. Do I know what the f#$% I'm talking about, maybe, maybe not. This is what I was told from each of these sources. Does the company know what the f#$% it's talking about...I doubt it. But since we have so many experts like Jim here knowing how to RUN such a company efficiently then we all have nothing to worry about. And I don't know where 84k came from unless you are using some of the companies math, we didn't even make that before the company took half our raise back. Now the company says we have a 6% sick rate compared to our OSV 1.5% This means we are at a $5million disadvantage, but I say lets use some of this funny company math...we have 12 negotiated sick days of which most use less than half. If thats the case, then we must be saving the company money! Experts and bean counters, we got plenty. People that know what the f@#$ they're talking about....not many.

----------------
On 7/24/2003 11:44:24 AM The Ronin wrote:

----------------

On 7/24/2003 7:39:35 AM atabuy wrote:

----------------

----------------​

----------------​

For a guy who retired from UAL, you just can't get away from it, can you? Take that and the fact you don't know what the f%$k your talking about and I can see you really must have worked here. Blab, blab, blab. Well according to Creighton, when he was here, he told me an estimated 20 million in savings, supposedly. And according to the IAM, before they left, the number given to them had changed from 400+ to 200+ since most of the major hubs use mechanics to taxi for reposition, not tow. Do I know what the f#$% I'm talking about, maybe, maybe not. This is what I was told from each of these sources. Does the company know what the f#$% it's talking about...I doubt it. But since we have so many experts like Jim here knowing how to RUN such a company efficiently then we all have nothing to worry about. And I don't know where 84k came from unless you are using some of the companies math, we didn't even make that before the company took half our raise back. Now the company says we have a 6% sick rate compared to our OSV 1.5% This means we are at a $5million disadvantage, but I say lets use some of this funny company math...we have 12 negotiated sick days of which most use less than half. If thats the case, then we must be saving the company money! Experts and bean counters, we got plenty. People that know what the f@#$ they're talking about....not many.

----------------​

Ronin,
There is an old saying:
It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your thoughts, and erase all doubt.

The 400 R&D estimate I took from gatemech.

The 85,000 I lowered from the 105,000 you use to make with benefits.

If you really knew anything about business or maybe even math, you would understand that the companies cost for each mechanic is more than the base salary, license pay, skill pay, or let's just say gross pay you put down on your income tax.
When you are trying to flame someone, please know what you are talking about.

Yes I am retired from Ual, but it is people like you that make me keep coming back to make sure that you don't take Ual down with idiotic, moronic, positively stupid reasons.
I still depend on medical from Ual, a pension, and flight benefits. In that order.

If you are a mechanic, I question your pompus assumptions and your ability to work on airplanes. You obviously do not have the ability to think on your own.
Think about going back to school. Get a more rounded education.
Think about the whole picture instead of tunnel vision.
Good luck,

So you know exactly how much my pay and bennies are worth to the nickle smart guy. You probably know how much I'm costing the company when I have a cup of coffee in my hand instead of a meter at 3 am in the morning. Lets hope for your sake 'ol timer that I do know what the xxxx I'm doing. Maybe it'll keep your old bag of bones alive at 39k so you can enjoy those "flight bennies" As for your "bennie-weeney IAM ramp retirement" a 7/11 job can cover that. But you won't have to worry when UAL hands that over to the PBGC. Don't know about the meds though, you may just be out of luck there, write your congressman.

It was the IAM that had the language added to the contract that says R&D to be done by IAM represented employees. This is the "mech and related" contract that now with the new representation where it states IAM it instead states AMFA. That is the law, sorry but UAL agreed to this language and is now going to have to deal with it.

Although "bean counting" is a part of any business it cannot be the sole driver of it. Until that type of mentality is gone from UAL they are doomed.

There have been rumors at AA that the company is considering giving R&D back to maint. Why? Because it will improve service. Its not uncommon for airplanes to wait for extended periods of time to get movedoff the gate or parked because only a small number of Fleet service guys are trusted to do the job. With the high turnover rate in fleet service you have a lot of people passing through, do you really want to trust these guys with moving your airplanes?The same thing will happen at UAL. At JFK I taxi on a daily basis and often have to wait a long time to get parked at the terminal, sometimes this causes a domino effect where arriving and departing trips are delayed as our plane blocks the alleyway waiting to get parked. I've seen a five minute, last minute maint delay end up being a one hour delay because, having missed its original departure time, the R&D crew was tied up on other trips. Meanwhile there was more than enough mechanics in the breakroom ready and willing to do the job. Any savings with the lower paid guys doing the job is offset by more flight crew time, fuel burn, passenger inconvenience and fleet serice OT. Another thing that has not resulted in savings was deicing. These guys would use two whole trucks on one airplane, glycol is not cheaper than wages.

Bob-

I hate to burst your bubble but from what I have seen on the line, it's the mechanics that I end up waiting on extremely frequently using my my brief 8 years here as a guide. I think you and I had a brief discussion about this topic a year or two back because I asked on this forum why the mechanics frequently show up late to the gate when the other ground service and CSR people seem to frequently show up on time or early.

I would estimate that approximately 50% of the time (and I'm being conservative), we (we defined as the plane, rampers, and gate agents who were already at the gate waiting for the plane to arrive) have to set brakes at the top of the line and wait for a mechanic to show up to guide us in. And yes, I always ACARS an updated ON time. However, at out stations, it is rare that we have to do that. I hate to say it, but although it is slow now, as rampers learn their new responsibility, I don't think they will do much worse than the system that was in place with the mechanics guiding us in. In fact, I think it will be an improvement long term because ramp personnel are much, much more frequently at the gate waiting for our arrival than mechanics are.

"And yes, I always ACARS an updated ON time."

You shouldn't have to. ACARS sends the time of the LAST brake set, when the door opens.

----------------

Its not uncommon for airplanes to wait for extended periods of time.
----------------

At LGA we wait all the time, but not for Fleet Service to clear a gate, we wait for maintenance to come and move a termination to the hangar line.Most times with the inbound trip already on the ground and holding.

----------------

Because only a small number of Fleet service guys are trusted to do the job.

----------------

Trust has nothing to do with it Bob, being qualified to push is the issue.Do you let just anyone hop into a tractor and tow planes to the Outside South spots?

----------------

With the high turnover rate in fleet service you have a lot of people passing through

----------------
What high turnover rate Bob? People getting displaced to Line Cargo from Cabin Service and Air Freight? People who haven't touched wands or interphones since training?

----------------

At JFK I taxi on a daily basis and often have to wait a long time to get parked at the terminal, sometimes this causes a domino effect where arriving and departing trips are delayed as our plane blocks the alleyway waiting to get parked.

----------------

When I was at JFK I worked mornings quite a bit and we'd never seem to get the word when you guys were delivering a ship from the hangar or strangely you'd show up 30 minutes before the advised time.

----------------

I've seen a five minute, last minute maint delay end up being a one hour delay because, having missed its original departure time, the R&D crew was tied up on other trips.
Meanwhile there was more than enough mechanics in the breakroom ready and willing to do the job.
----------------

And one would assume that the guys in the breakroom would march right outside if asked and get a trip off the gate to minimize the passenger inconvenience or would they grumble about "Having to do someone else's job"?

You have no idea how many times I'd be told to lock up a trip and get to the next gate, usually with that trip on the ground as well.

Deicing? You can have it back as far as I'm concerned, although I've never once had a crew question the ammount of Glycol I was spraying on their aircraft.I've been deicing for ten years now,and have never emptied two trucks on one aircraft.

As far as Fleet Service overtime goes, they cut too much too fast, you can do a certain ammount of work with a certain ammount of people.More work than people, something is going to give correct?

Do you want overtime on the line or something? From what I hear is going on over there they can use all the bodies they can get.

Give Jim Wright a call, he might let you guys sign for OT on the line.
2.gif

My apologies to all for clogging up the UAL board with an AA topic.