Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Name: T6
Employer: NWA
Date: Thursday, November 13, 2003
Time: 02:33 PM

Comments
To "Bay Two Boy", I'll prove it to you. But you need to do one thing in order for this discussion to have a chance at reaching resolution. Open your IAM Blue book to article 2 and read it. It will only take you a few minutes. You will see that your work couldn't be farmed out. I know you are going to call me a liar but just listen please. The absolute facts are these: The only time NWA was able to beat us in a Farm Out grievance was when they could prove to the arbitrator that either, a: NWA didn't have the facilities to do the work and our members were not being harmed because OT and even unlimited OT was being offered. b: No IAM NWA Mechanic was on layoff. Now if any of the above statements couldn't be proved WE/IAM won and the work was returned and the affected members were made whole. Ok, now open your AMFA contract and read Article 2, this will take a few more minutes. But you will see that AMFA fully and intently gave away our jobs and misled our membership about the job security that this AMFA contract would provide. I say, let's assume AMFA's as smart as some like to believe, then there would be NO way they could of overlooked this when they changed this article. Somebody in AMFA must of known we were giving away our jobs. We were promised professional negotiators and we're told we had "Iron Clad" No-Layoff protection. I believe Bay Two Guy, that if you would just take a couple minutes to read these two articles you will see that AMFA was unable to get us anymore money than the IAM was without giving away Overhaul Maintenance Jobs just like the IAM said would happen. Just think about this, If we still had the IAM our work wouldn't be able to be farmed out while people are on layoff. Do you know what that would mean? It would mean we'd still have all our bays full of check work and somebody would of had to do it.....us! Thanks in advance for reading article two from both books. I believe and I sincerely do, that if every NWA AMFA member reads these two articles AMFA will be gone by Spring. T6

Print this post and ask Jeff Mathews your AMFA National A.C.A.C.. He's supposed to be honest. Ask him if AMFA screwed us with this open ended Farm-Out language. He told me they did and that he doubts if we can ever fix it again because we'll be so much smaller after all that work is farmed out and won't have much leverage because we'll do so little work. He told me that the average Tech will be 54+ years of age and have '82-'84 seniority just to hold a Line job somewhere around the system. He even expressed concern that now that Delle got his UAL that we'll be ignored and left to "waste away".

compliments of NW Mechanics

American to add work at Tulsa, KC
By Trebor Banstetter
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

American Airlines will be adding aircraft maintenance work to its Kansas City, Mo., and Tulsa, Okla., maintenance bases, after both cities provided about $100 million in financial incentives to keep the facilities open.

But the move won't create new jobs in either community because other operations are being phased out.

The new work consists of heavy maintenance checks that are being done for the first time on airplanes. The job typically takes several weeks to complete on a single aircraft.

The biggest chunk of the new business is going to Tulsa, where American will add a maintenance line for Boeing 737s. In July, the airline added landing gear work at the base.

Airline executives said the new work is possible because of incentives provided by the city for equipment and capital improvements at the facility. "We remain grateful for the strong support that civic leaders and the people of Tulsa have shown American," Carmine Romano, American's vice president of the Tulsa base, said in a statement.

The new maintenance line will take the place of a Fokker 100 maintenance operation that is being phased out as American retires that aircraft.

In Kansas City, American will begin new maintenance work on MD-80 aircraft the carrier acquired when it bought TWA. The airline has 103 MD-80s in its fleet.

American also has a maintenance base at Alliance Airport in Fort Worth. Airline executives have been negotiating an incentive package with city leaders, but no agreement has been reached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference in Representation is Clear!!!!!!!! :shock:

Why didn't the IAM offer no layoff protection for those hired after October 1996 in the 1998 contract proposal at NWA? Did they know already that those jobs would be lost? Hmm... Why'd the IAM at NWA let farmouts begin at all, when the company was adding 50% to the staff during the time farm outs started?

I guess the TWU and CIo have completed forgotten about the 700+ laid-off in Tulsa.

Why to go TWU.

TWU = I've got mine brother!

TWU informer said:
I guess the TWU and CIo have completed forgotten about the 700+ laid-off in Tulsa.

Why to go TWU.

TWU = I've got mine brother!

With the twu you get pay cuts plus layoffs!!

TWU-The best friend that management ever had!

Lowest paid baggage handers -Worldwide, Swissport -Thank you TWU!

Lowest paid* Flight Attendants-SWA- Thank you TWU!

Lowest paid*mechanics- AA- Thank you TWU!

* for workers in comparable airline.

If you want to work for less you dont need RTW, all you need is the TWU!

With the twu you get pay cuts plus layoffs!!

Bob, don't forget that with the twu you get lies, credit card aplications, ELECTED officials removed by UNELECTED officials. Don't forget the UNaccountability and the mentality of it does not matter who does the work as long as that person pays dues.
There are also the added virtue's of having people like burchette, mcdonald, gless and yingst and wells to "speak" for our profession.

Why would AA want to contract out the work.

The TWU has given them one of, if not the lowest paid workers in the industry.

On top of that the TWU gave them SRP/OSMs' which amount ot nothing more than indentured servants. AA does not have to even attempt to contract out work we are the cheapest well trained labor force out there.

We pay for our medical, lost our sick time, Vacation, Holidays, and waived our job security clause. So why would AA need to look else where for cheap labor.

This is just the start, they still have 13-15 bil. indebt out there, wait until they come back for more, want to make a bet that our pensions are next!

:D

In-Sourcing = TWU at Eagle 100 jobs with a new Maintenance Bases!!

Amfa = outsourcing continues on track.

"The facility will open in March and employ about 60 full-time mechanics to conduct routine overnight maintenance and repair on Eagle's fleet of Bombardier CRJ700s at Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport, the airline said Wednesday."

Try again...

And amfa doesn't allow outsourcing and furloughs? Where TWU took paycuts amfa took to the street. Company saved $$$ on both accounts. And after all, the floor at both airlines voted for their road to take, not the Internationals.

Steve Connell said:
And amfa doesn't allow outsourcing and furloughs? Where TWU took paycuts amfa took to the street. Company saved $$$ on both accounts. And after all, the floor at both airlines voted for their road to take, not the Internationals.
Yea but in one case the company lost the labor, while in the other the company still maintained their productive capabilities but at much lower costs. AA got their cake and ate it too. They took the pay cuts and laid off as they saw fit.

If you are so proud to work for less then why dont you just work for nothing, then everyone could be working right? Are we here just to work or to make money?

What we have to look at is the fact that a NWA worker would have to be out on the street for at least two years before we surpass him in (projected) earnings over the long haul. So in other words we are in effect, over the long haul working for nothing compared to a higher paid, but laid off NWA worker.

Are we better off to make as much as we can with the possibility of being laid off every now and then, or agree to work for much less in the hope that we do not get laid off? The fact is that low wages never offer real security. If you get laid off you will survive. Most of us have at one time or another been laid off. We survived.

Maybe now we know why AA bought TWA, maybe they figured the most concessionary IAM members could compliment the most concessionry union.

Have you ever seen a concession you do not like Steve?

If you are so proud to work for less then why dont you just work for nothing, then everyone could be working right? Are we here just to work or to make money?
..Bob, are you still working and feeding your piehole? And explain again how a man from NWA making squat in his furlough status is making more than us. Don't you wish you could spin, yeah right. Come to MCIE and run for office. OK, maybe not, stay and earn your 30K in NY as you stated, it's your choice.

Steve Connell said:
..Bob, are you still working and feeding your piehole? And explain again how a man from NWA making squat in his furlough status is making more than us. Don't you wish you could spin, yeah right. Come to MCIE and run for office. OK, maybe not, stay and earn your 30K in NY as you stated, it's your choice.
The fact is we sell the company time. We sell them hours of our lives. If a mechanic is laid off at NWA he does not go to zero income. Depending on the state he could get up to 50% of his net pay on unemployment. In that case he is working zero hours for half pay.

Ideally we should not live week to week. We should strategize for the long term. This type of thinking coincides with unionism. We should work and plan to maximize our income over the long term while also trying to minimize the hours sold to the company as individuals. Thats one reason why we got our A&Ps instead of loading bags. We wanted to make more money in less hours.

Over the long haul this contract will reduce our reasonbly expected wages, based on a fourty hour week by over $100,000. Not only will our wages be reduced but the number of hours sold to get that lower wage will be increased through the elimination of one weeks vactation, the elimination of holidays and the sick time penalty.

For arguements sake lets say that for the period of 2003 till 2008 we will work steadlily and earn $300,000, thats $60,000 X five years. The NWA worker will be laid off for one year however his average yearly pay for the period is nearly $80,000, out of the five years he will work for NWA 4 years 4x80K= 320,000 so he will have made more than us from nwa in four years than we did in five years. But he will have worked 2080 hours less at NWA. During the layoff, that period the time was his, he could sit back and collect unemployment or sell his skills to someone else. If he gets a job that pays just half of what he was getting at NWA his total for the period goes to $360,000. In other words a complete years worth of salary more than us. When the economy recovers he would go back to his job at NWA and continue to work less hours for more money than us.

With this agreement our lifetime earnings have been permanently and drastically reduced and the hours worked for that reduced earnings increased. How likely are we to ever get our wages and benifits back on track? In order to do so come 2008 we would have to demand a $14/ per hour increase in wages plus an increase in vacation, double the holiday premium and double the amount of holidays, double the amont of sick time accrual and double the amount paid for the first two days called in. There is no doubt that the company would spin this around as being unreasonable and go to mediation. And the press and the mediator would side with the company. We would never get our side of the story out.

Lets do a small comparision of who's job it used to be and who's job it is now. Remember, the twu has worked very hard to achieve these job movements.

Before , Now
Pushbacks : AMT , Fleet Service(Non A&P)

Deicing: AMT , Fleet Service(Non A&P)

Shops: AMT , Osm(Non A&P)

Inspections (Life Vests): AMT, Fleet Service (Non A&P) Now Contracted Out

Equipment Repair: AMT, ?

The twu doesn't consider these job losses since a twu member performs them. Now that scares me! My union gives my job away and they don't consider it as a job loss. Now, look at equipment repair, thats right the atd has hired an attorney to fight to take that job away from AMTs! What's next! The future looks very blink for A&PS with the twu.

So Bob, you ARE telling me that the unemployed NWA man is better off, you the man. Then why are you still working Bob? Why not add to your income and quit?
And go sell that theory on the floor, I'm sure you'll receive lots of feedback and resignations.