AMFA vs Teamsters

AMFAinMIAMI

Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Miami, Fl.
We at AA are attempting to bring the only craft union in the industry to replace the TWU.

I would like some info from the SWA and Airtran AMT's on how the intergration of seniority list was handled.

Are both SWA and Airtran AMT's happy with the representation they now have?

How they feel about the IBT vs AMFA as the bargaining unit?

Amfa is as good as it gets. The union is only as good as the people you elect into office. That being said, I like being able to vote on all the issues that are important to me. The IBT dues are some of the highest in the industry. We did not get to vote on any of it. If the leardership group don't do what they were put in office to do, you can recall all or part of them.

Its night and day compared to IBT.

AMFAinMIAMI,

To answer your question about integration nego's. It was exactly as it sounds, nego's for a combined SLI. Both sides did their absolute best at nego. SWA had the upper hand as far as, holding for what they wanted. AirTran, (if I may say with no disrespect) was coming into a fight with no ammo. They really had nothing to offer the SWA mechanics to their benefit. However, the SWA mechanics had huge gains for the AT guys. I also think that the AT guys were getting, ever so flustrated with the ibt on how they were handling the nego's. The more the teamsters tried their chest thumping, and hard core stance, the worse it got for the AirTran guys. They really had nothing to gain from postponing. The more they did, the more they lost, (as far as money).
If you were to follow the SWA and AT integration forums on this web site you would know how everything went. I will say that 90% or better of the AT mechs are very impressed how AMFA handled the integration for the SWA guys. And, most of them are very happy to be coming on board with AMFA to have them represent them all in the near future. Hope this helps...

We at AA are attempting to bring the only craft union in the industry to replace the TWU.

I would like some info from the SWA and Airtran AMT's on how the intergration of seniority list was handled.

Are both SWA and Airtran AMT's happy with the representation they now have?

How they feel about the IBT vs AMFA as the bargaining unit?

I would like to add one more thing.
If you guys from AA vote in AMFA, you guys will have a huge and overwhelming members count over us here at SWA. Therefore you guys could very easily get all National Officers into position that you want, as well as other positions. All I would ask is pls leave some room for us to have a voice. I say put AMFA National @ 50/50 as far as different airlines. Just a thought. I can say this; the SWA guys are very happy with their representation with AMFA, matter fact, never been happier. As far as the AT guys, I think they are extremely happy to come on board with SWA. They have seen how AMFA represents their members, first hand, in intregration nego's, and are very eager to get on board. However, they can answer for themselves. Later...

AMFAinMIAMI,

To answer your question about integration nego's. It was exactly as it sounds, nego's for a combined SLI. Both sides did their absolute best at nego. SWA had the upper hand as far as, holding for what they wanted. AirTran, (if I may say with no disrespect) was coming into a fight with no ammo. They really had nothing to offer the SWA mechanics to their benefit. However, the SWA mechanics had huge gains for the AT guys. I also think that the AT guys were getting, ever so flustrated with the ibt on how they were handling the nego's. The more the teamsters tried their chest thumping, and hard core stance, the worse it got for the AirTran guys. They really had nothing to gain from postponing. The more they did, the more they lost, (as far as money).
If you were to follow the SWA and AT integration forums on this web site you would know how everything went. I will say that 90% or better of the AT mechs are very impressed how AMFA handled the integration for the SWA guys. And, most of them are very happy to be coming on board with AMFA to have them represent them all in the near future. Hope this helps...

If you work with any of the AT mechanics can you have them shed light in thier words?

Thanks for your help and info

AMFA the only voice in industry for the aircraft mechanics..

To be honest with you I don't want you guys in our union just in case we buy you guys. Then we are screwed senority wise. Then we will see everyone vote at that point in time on the swa

I didn't want to jump on this band wagon, but I agree with 2001hdswa, the company had a lot of control in the integration. AMFA stood strong but they really had nothing to lose so they didn't have any pressure to move them from their stance. Teamsters, on the other hand, had everything to lose so they decided to drag their feet as long as they could without regard to their members. But overall, the SWA and AT MX integration was driven and controlled by the company itself.

The smartest move would be to vote in AMFA over teamsters, IMHO...

Company had all the control and due I prefere one union over the next ye!!! . Company still breaches our contract ( 4 line of heavy Mx). They will continue to do what they will get away with. I heard the heavy. Ck might govto atlanta any truth to that

Company had all the control and due I prefere one union over the next ye!!! . Company still breaches our contract ( 4 line of heavy Mx). They will continue to do what they will get away with. I heard the heavy. Ck might govto atlanta any truth to that

There is a signed letter stating that the 4th line will start in Dallas.

I would like to add one more thing.
If you guys from AA vote in AMFA, you guys will have a huge and overwhelming members count over us here at SWA. Therefore you guys could very easily get all National Officers into position that you want, as well as other positions. All I would ask is pls leave some room for us to have a voice. I say put AMFA National @ 50/50 as far as different airlines. Just a thought. I can say this; the SWA guys are very happy with their representation with AMFA, matter fact, never been happier. As far as the AT guys, I think they are extremely happy to come on board with SWA. They have seen how AMFA represents their members, first hand, in intregration nego's, and are very eager to get on board. However, they can answer for themselves. Later...

I Don't think that you would have to worry about AA mechanics taking over. Its the leadership at AMFA and the job they do is what counts isnt it. UAL guys are planning on coming back to AMFA as well. So if AA and UAL get involved with AMFA the bargaining power the union would have would be great.

Alaska/SWA/AA/UAL that could be lots of power to change thing for the future of OUR CRAFT. It would be really Nice to see the DELTA guys get on board as well. AMT"S working to better one another.

UAL guys are planning on coming back to AMFA as well. So if AA and UAL get involved with AMFA the bargaining power the union would have would be great.

Alaska/SWA/AA/UAL that could be lots of power to change thing for the future of OUR CRAFT. It would be really Nice to see the DELTA guys get on board as well. AMT"S working to better one another.
It would mean more money to AMFA national which could mean more lobbying congress on AMT issues like foreign outsourcing.
But I don't believe it would give any group more bargaining power at any individual airline.

The power of AMFA does not come from national.
It comes from individuals at each airline stepping up and controlling their own fate.
If you elect the right local leaders then it can be a success.

If you think AMFA can come in and solve all your problems, you will be disappointed.
With AMFA you will be able to control more yourselves by voting on everything and enjoy open negotiations so there will be no back room deals. But don't expect a lot to change if you elect the same people you have in power now.