Amnesty For Flight Attendants

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
AFA met with the Labor Relations and the In-flight Department this past Thursday, March 31, 2005, in Corporate Headquarters to discuss our Amnesty Side letter as well as the Medical Leave of Absence/FMLA/PCL issues.

The Amnesty Side Letter reads:

During the course of these Transformation Plan negotiations, the parties discussed issues related to sick calls and dependability levels for flight attendants related to excessive sick. Specifically, the Association requested some form of "amnesty" for individuals who had sick calls or dependability issues resulting from sick calls during the prior twelve months.

The company is willing to meet promptly with the Association to discuss the "amnesty" concept, the Dependability Control Program, grievance settlements and mediated grievances.

After a lengthy 8 hour discussion, the company rendered a decision that those Flight Attendants who were placed on Dependability (DCP) relating to sick or excessive sick from March 1, 2004 through March 1, 2005 and were on "Final Warning" Dependability would be reduced to "second Warning" and those who were on "Second Warning" would be moved to "First Warning".

AFA will be withdrawing any grievances system wide related to those f/as on Final and Second Warning that were due to excessive sick and sick related. The In-flight Department will be sending out letters to those f/as who this applies to.

With regard to First Warning (DCP), this was reduced to 6 months vs. 12 months, as follows:

"A flight attendant who was issued a First Warning prior to April 1, 2005 for excessive sick only (i.e., a sick call was the triggering event for the warning) and the warning was the most recent discipline issued under the Dependability Control Program (DCP) and during the next six month period (April 1, 2005-September 30, 2005) the flight attendant does not incur any sick occurrences, the First Warning will no longer be considered active on October 1, 2005. If during this six month period the flight attendant is issued a Second Warning for any other dependability infraction, the above will not apply. First Warnings currently scheduled to drop off prior to October 1, 2005 will drop off as scheduled unless the flight attendant is progressed to a Second Warning."

The company also wants to mediate grievance terminations that are not related to drug or alcohol that are at System Board Level ASAP.

AFA is also meeting with the company on April 13, in CCY to discuss medical leave separations that have occurred and are seeking resolution to these issues as well.

The company is making movement in striving to build morale and restore the employee spirit. This meeting was deemed very productive and successful, and we are pleased with the results.

I think the AFA should tell the company to shove it!!

Take everyone off all the warnings and like it or eat your schedule.

After all the pain they have inflicted on the AFA and everyone else
they are "Willing" to reduce the levels by one.. Yeah now thats some
heavy negotiations there..

Tell Lakefield and his band of merry losers to shove it. You take everyone
off of warnings in all groups and like it. You want to start fresh thats how you do
it.. The union should stand for nothing less..

It took two meetings to negotiate this.

First meeting was a disaster. Both parties needed to regroup and start again.

Trust, that nothing comes without a battle here.

PineyBob said:
I happen to think you negotiated a fair compromise. They (CCY) have a bug in their bonnet on absenteeism and I am of like mind in that regard.

But I also think that in the interest of boosting morale this was a solid step in the right direction. Negotiation isn't supposed to be easy PITbull, but I think you are demonstrating excellent leadership and it will help US in the long run.
[post="260736"][/post]​
Isn't the objective to eliminate those high cost employees and bring back to work cheaper ones. How does this help the company succeed?