AMR Gets Concessions from Suppliers/Creditors/Lessors

FOR RELEASE: Thursday, May 15, 2003

AMR ANNOUNCES COST-REDUCTION AGREEMENTS WITH SUPPLIERS, LESSORS, AND CREDITORS THAT WILL SAVE MORE THAN $175 MILLION A YEAR

FORT WORTH, Texas – AMR Corp. reached another major milestone in its long-term cost restructuring efforts today with the announcement that it has completed agreements on concessions with more than 100 suppliers, aircraft lessors, and other key creditors that will save AMR in excess of $175 million a year. These agreements will generate cumulative savings for the company of more than $1 billion.

During the past two years, AMR has identified approximately $2 billion a year in cost savings through a wide range of initiatives, and last month AMR’s three major labor unions ratified new agreements which, when coupled with changes in pay plans for management and non-union employees, will reduce AMR’s costs by an additional $1.8 billion a year.

The final piece of AMR’s overall $4 billion-a-year cost-reduction effort was to reach agreement on meaningful concessions with AMR’s suppliers, lessors, and other creditors.

We are grateful to each supplier, lessor, and creditor who tangibly expressed support for our company by granting these significant concessions, said AMR Chief Executive Officer and President Gerard J. Arpey. We continue to move through the most challenging period in our history, and our success is still far from assured, but reaching these cost-reduction agreements with our suppliers, lessors, and creditors is another step forward and further strengthens AMR as we seek to put the company on a solid financial footing.

AMR will issue up to three million shares of common stock to suppliers, lessors, and other creditors to enable them to share in the upside of the company’s future in return for their support of AMR’s cost reduction efforts.

Statements in this news release contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934, as amended, which represent the Company’s expectations or beliefs concerning future events. When used in this news release, the words expects, anticipates, and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements in this release are based upon information available to the Company on the date of this release. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from our expectations, including the uncertain financial and business environment for the Company even with the ratification of the labor agreements and the completion of the agreements on concessions with the Company’s suppliers, aircraft lessors and other key creditors. These uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the struggling economy, high fuel prices, conflicts in the Middle East, the SARS outbreak and historically low fare levels. Additional information concerning these and other factors is contained in the Company’s Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2002 and the Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2003.
###

AMR has now squeezed more than $2 billion per year out of its employees, suppliers, vendors and lessors without the expense of bankruptcy.

Too bad so many whiny losers think bankruptcy would have been a better choice.

American Air says may still file bankruptcy
Reuters, 05.15.03, 2:08 PM ET

CHICAGO, May 15 (Reuters) - AMR Corp.''s <AMR.N American Airlines said on Thursday it may still need to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy despite various cost-cutting deals from labor, management and vendors because its financial condition will remain weak and its prospects, uncertain.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based company in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission cited a number of factors that have or may still affect its results. Those include continued weakness in the U.S. economy, the war in Iraq, fear of another terrorist attack, the SARS outbreak and inability to satisfy conditions on various bank loans or access capital markets.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

----------------
On 5/15/2003 3:37:41 PM Buck wrote:

American Air says may still file bankruptcy
Reuters, 05.15.03, 2:08 PM ET

CHICAGO, May 15 (Reuters) - AMR Corp.''s &lt;AMR.N American Airlines said on Thursday it may still need to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy despite various cost-cutting deals from labor, management and vendors because its financial condition will remain weak and its prospects, uncertain.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based company in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission cited a number of factors that have or may still affect its results. Those include continued weakness in the U.S. economy, the war in Iraq, fear of another terrorist attack, the SARS outbreak and inability to satisfy conditions on various bank loans or access capital markets.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

----------------​
Each and every SEC filing by AMR lately has contained the same warning and every one in the future will contain the same cautionary warning. No news here. The real news is that AA didn''t file last month. Or are you looking for the "Bob Owens Amazing Detective Award"??

Now repeat after me, while clicking your heels together.

AMR will not file Chapter 11

click, click, click

All we need now, is to have a management meeting and repeat this and then it will be so!

Why dont you take a look at the press release and say AA is doing the best they can to make this airline profitable. We are on the road to better days and back to better pay.

Or is it more usefull to scream BK and the sky is falling.

----------------
On 5/15/2003 4:54:32 PM A77IGW wrote:

Why dont you take a look at the press release and say AA is doing the best they can to make this airline profitable. We are on the road to better days and back to better pay.

----------------​
I thought you said something about $62,000 being enough to make anyone happy?

I think that is great. If you have the votes to overthrow the TWu and brinbg in the AMFA more power to you. I hope it does well for you. You are under some misunderstanding to think I care as to which union represents you. I dont care. If you want a new union than by all means go for it. and if you cant get the AMFA in than shut up and live with the TWU or try to reorganize.

----------------
On 5/15/2003 5:59:53 PM A77IGW wrote:

I think that is great. If you have the votes to overthrow the TWu and brinbg in the AMFA more power to you. I hope it does well for you. You are under some misunderstanding to think I care as to which union represents you. I dont care. If you want a new union than by all means go for it. and if you cant get the AMFA in than shut up and live with the TWU or try to reorganize.

----------------​
But don''t you see? If the AMFA represented the mechanics instead of the TWU, then life as an AA mechanic would be perfect with no wage concessions, no work rule changes, no cares in the world.

Hell, throwing out the TWU would probably cause AMR''s revenue to recover and the AMFA leaders would also find the hidden AA cash hoarde (stashed away by Carty).

Yep - life would be so much better. Hope AMFA Dave gets his wish.

----------------
On 5/15/2003 5:59:53 PM A77IGW wrote:

----------------​

A77IGW;
A little story, ESPECIALLY FOR "YOU" !!

I''m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and say that you''ve got enough time on "this" board(usaviation), to remember a pretty decent fellow, who use to be over on the UAL board. His "handle" was UAL777flyer.(eoleson knew him pretty well). "777" was non-union, and backed his company to the hilt(although when they were wrong, HE WOULD SAY SO)( "NOT LIKE YOU")
Anyway, "777" hung in there, right up until UA went BK-11.
No one EVER heard from the person EVER AGAIN.

When (NOT IF) AA goes BK-11, I''m wondering if you''ll experience a similiar fate ???????????????????

NH/BB''s

----------------
On 5/15/2003 4:54:32 PM A77IGW wrote:

----------------​
----------------------------------------------

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....

AA is just 2 billion dollars short of their target 4 bil. in annual savings....

Any idea where this willcome from??

I beliieve it is AMR who is spewing the negative rhetoric. They''re greasing us up for a Chapter 11 prom date. How can you be so positive after all we have given back and it''s still not enough? Do you truly believe that in bankruptcy court it will be "hands off" the employees cause they have given so much?

Latest posts