An On-Air Editorial

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
From Doug McIntyre, right-wing radio talk show host on KABC, Los Angeles:

I was wrong to have voted for George W. Bush. I believe George W. Bush is unarguably the worst two-term President in the history of the country. Worse than Grant. A case can be made he's the worst President, period. I reached the conclusion he's either grossly incompetent, or a hand puppet for a gaggle of detached theorists with their own private view of how the world works. Or both.

After September 11th, I believed President Bush when he said we would go after the terrorists and the nations that harbored them. I supported the President when he sent our troops into Afghanistan. I supported the war in Iraq because I believed Colin Powell at the UN, and trusted Tony Blair. The President said Iraq was an urgent threat, and after 9-11, the risk seemed too real. But in the months and years since shock and awe I have been shocked repeatedly by a consistent litany of excuses, alibis, double-talk, inaccuracies, bogus predictions, and flat out lies. I have watched as the President and his administration changed the goals, redefined the reasons for going into Iraq, and fumbled the good will of the world and the focus necessary to catch the real killers of September 11th. The President says the commanders on the ground will make the battlefield decisions, and the war in Iraq won't be run from Washington. Yet, politics has consistently determined what the troops can and can't do and any commander who does not go along with the administration is sacked, and in some cases, maligned. I was wrong about everything associated with Iraq.

We're in the "waning days of the insurgency." We're about to slink home with our tail between our legs, leaving civil war in Iraq and a nuclear-armed Iran in our wake And Bin Laden is still making tapes. It's unspeakable. The liberal media didn't create this reality, bad policy did. James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Warren Harding were all failed Presidents but the damage this President has done is historic. His mistakes have global implications, while the other failed Presidents mostly authored domestic embarrassments.

And speaking of domestic embarrassments, let's look at President Bush's domestic record. He cut taxes and I like tax cuts. But tax cuts combined with reckless spending and borrwing is criminal mismanagement of the public's money. We're drunk at the mall with our great grandchildren's credit cards. We traded tax and spend Liberals for borrow and spend Conservatives. Bush created a giant new entitlement, the prescription drug plan. He lied to his own party to get it passed. It was written by and for the pharmaceutical industry. So much for smaller government In fact, virtually every tentacle of government has grown exponentially under Bush. Unless, of course, it was an agency to look after the public interest, the environment or worker's rights. His open border policy is a disaster for the wages of working people-- he debases the work ethic, "jobs Americans won't do!" He doesn't believe in the sovereign borders of the country he's sworn to protect. And his devotion to cheap labor for his corporate benefactors, along with his worship of multinational trade deals, makes an utter mockery of homeland security and calls into question his commitment to sovereignty itself. Katrina, Harriet Myers, The Dubai Port Deal, shrinking wages for working people, staggering debt, astronomical foreign debt, outsourcing, open borders, the war on science, media manipulation, a cavalier attitude toward fundamental freedoms -- this President has run the most arrogant and out-of-touch administration in my lifetime, perhaps, in any American's lifetime.

America needs a vibrant opposition to check the power of a run-amuck majority party. Tragically, the Democrats have allowed crackpots, leftists and demagogic cowards to snipe from the sidelines while taking no responsibility for anything. In fairness, I don't believe a Democrat president would have gone into Iraq. Unfortunately, I don't know if President Gore would have gone into Afghanistan. However, the Republicans run the show and have more to answer for. With a belated tip of the cap to Ralph Nader, the system is broken, so broken it's almost inevitable it pukes up mediocrities like Al Gore and George W. Bush. Where are the Trumans and the Eisenhowers? Why do we have to settle for recycled hacks and malleable ciphers? Greatness is always rare, but is basic competence and simple honesty too much to ask? Does this make me a waffler? A flip-flopper? I prefer to see it as realism.

For those of you who never supported Bush, it's also fair to accuse me of kicking Bush while he's down. After all, you were kicking Bush while he was up. You were right. I was wrong. +++++++++++++++++

(I'm not one to say I told you so, but...) :lol:

Doug McIntyre,

Great hindsight.
What idiot do you support today?

:down: UT

hell,at least grant knew how to get down... :lol:
Big words.....Carter was pretty bad,bumbling.....

Don't think we've seen "worst" by any means.....

like an earthquake scale...log 10 :lol:

Has anyone noticed the wolves turning on the GOP? Its like the twilight zone. They say the current Republicans have screwed everything up. Mostly in a fiscal/big government way, but some complain about foreighn policy too. Let the current Republicans get swept out they say, so they can get a new, more actually conservative bunch in the next election cycle.
I have heard this on Rush, as well as some of the midwest conservative shows, and on FOX. I am talking about hard core conservatives here. Cato institute types. WTF?

Tax cuts for the rich can be reversed, troops can be moved and relocated, national security can be fixed … all this stuff is temporary. The real concern is and should always be the Supreme Court. The assignments that this pecker has made are for life. These conservative hacks are young and we will be stuck with them for 30 years or more. They are bringing back prayer to schools, setting back womens right to pre 1920’s. They are giving business cart’ blanch to do what ever it is they want to do. Our civil rights are being whittled away right in front of our eyes and no one seems to give a crap because W has the masses convinced that our rights are not important when compared to the threat of Sadam et’al.

It amazes me that people are shocked that the economy is in the crapper with a Rep in power. Reagan screwed it up fighting the "other" evil empire, Bush I screwed it up fighting is little private war and now Bush II (the sequel) has royally screwed us for 8 years with his vendetta against crap that does not exist. Were it not for the Supreme Court, I would let the Rep’s have the white house next year again and let them wallow is the squalor that they have produced. Unfortunately, some one has to step up to the plate and try to fix the unholy mess these hammer heads have created.

Has anyone noticed the wolves turning on the GOP? Its like the twilight zone. They say the current Republicans have screwed everything up. Mostly in a fiscal/big government way, but some complain about foreighn policy too. Let the current Republicans get swept out they say, so they can get a new, more actually conservative bunch in the next election cycle.

Ah, yes. The argument that "they just didn't do it right OR they didn't try hard enough OR they didn't follow instructions. We need to do it all again but do it right this time." Any argument other than...these policies/theories/ideas have failed because they are not good or not supported by the majority of Americans.

Doing the same over and over again and expecting different results is one of the first signs of insanity. (Democrats are you paying attention? The GOP does not have a corner on the market of blindly following doctrinaire policies that have proven time and again to be unworkable or unpopular with the voting public.)

I have heard this on Rush, as well as some of the midwest conservative shows, and on FOX. I am talking about hard core conservatives here. Cato institute types. WTF?
It's more like "rats jumping from a sinking ship". The right is "cutting and running" from Bush in hopes of salvaging something from the upcoming or in'08. It's really kind of sad for our country when the Prez can't even get any love from his own party anymore, but maybe if these talkradio/Fox/conservative thinktank types hadn't been so harshly partisan and rah-rah for Bush's policies long after the evidence was in that he was incompetent, just maybe we could have avoided arriving at this sorry pass... :unsure:

hell,at least grant knew how to get down... :lol:

It has been said that when some of Grant's detractors complained to Lincoln about the then-General's taste for distilled spirits, Lincoln gave instructions to find out what brand of whiskey Grant favored(said to be Old Crow) and send a barrel of it to all his other generals! :up:

There you have it...from a "right wing" conservative who has the humbleness to say on the radio "BUSH MAYBE THE WORST PRESIDENT IN AMERICAN HISTORY!"

I AGREE!!!!

Funny, I have a sister who couldn't be more "right wing conservative" on the spectrum. Would defend Bush till I thought she would choke...and now...

Silence. Not even an argument to defend or not. She says nothing.

Tax cuts for the rich can be reversed, troops can be moved and relocated, national security can be fixed … all this stuff is temporary. The real concern is and should always be the Supreme Court. The assignments that this pecker has made are for life. These conservative hacks are young and we will be stuck with them for 30 years or more. They are bringing back prayer to schools, setting back womens right to pre 1920’s. They are giving business cart’ blanch to do what ever it is they want to do. Our civil rights are being whittled away right in front of our eyes and no one seems to give a crap because W has the masses convinced that our rights are not important when compared to the threat of Sadam et’al.

It amazes me that people are shocked that the economy is in the crapper with a Rep in power. Reagan screwed it up fighting the "other" evil empire, Bush I screwed it up fighting is little private war and now Bush II (the sequel) has royally screwed us for 8 years with his vendetta against crap that does not exist. Were it not for the Supreme Court, I would let the Rep’s have the white house next year again and let them wallow is the squalor that they have produced. Unfortunately, some one has to step up to the plate and try to fix the unholy mess these hammer heads have created.

Ditto.