An open apology to the readers of this forum

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Dear and gentle readers

It has come to my attention that I have done many of you a grave injustice. Was it that as one who enjoys the Star network I decided to jump on an American flight to New York, or worse, enjoy a flight on Virgin or BA? No, unfortunately something much worse.
The pressures on those of you that work for United Airlines are incontravertibly heavy. The future, while indeed presenting glimmers of hope, is still wrought with problems that must be quickly and adroitly solved.
On the pages of this forum many of these very problems were the topics of disputation. Many posters were mere bomb-throwers who wrote before thinking or never thought at all. Many were informed, measured, and perceptive posters who were able to realize the gravity of the situation yet approach this in a systematic manner just as any mathematician would tackle an equation. I have grown to admire some of the astringent thought that many have applied to the difficulties at hand. Just as we in Britain have a shadow cabinet, it seems that many here have performed well as a shadow CEO - sifting the information available and supporting or adding critique to the actions of Mr. Tilton
as necessary.
Into these discussions however, stepped your curious observer Ukridge. Peppering you with questions from far afield I seemed to have unintentionally lured Mr. Munn to the United side of the forum. The large and bold font and proclamations of United's imminent demise are now a mainstay on these pages. Although he has all the rights to post under the United banner (some would argue more right than I as he is in the industry) I feel that I owe my fellow readers the most heartfelt of apologies. What have I rendered? He claims that I provoked him into addressing us. Yet now I see a plethora of missives under his name. A result of provocation or an excuse to expand his audience? As with divining the motives of Mr. Tilton I do not cliam to know the hearts of man.
Whilst young, we would often come to scraps on the football pitch. A simple handshake would make all right under the heavens. Yet, this damage may be more grave - is it indeed into verbal exile with me? Can I proffer a handshake to make all right after this which I have visited upon you?
What is also serious is that I have unleashed our erstwhile classics scholar on a campaign of labeling individuals as sophists. I see that one such reader (737nch11)this very morne suffered this branding. With all deference to the studied british classics commentator Peter Jones (yes he is real and writes a column called Ancient and Modern in the Spectator) I would posit that if someone merely submits an argument that by happenstance may be wrong, it is not prima facie evidence of sophistry.
So, readers. I apologize for what I have done. My mistake is apparently something we all will have to live with. As my mother used to say, the difference between wit and witless is only four simple letters

UKRidge,

It was so late when I posted, I thought he called me a Sodomite. Hence my crack about girls.

Yes UKRidge,

What have you done? Why is Mr. Munn, who claims to not have any interest in UA except for how it relates directly to US, so omnipresent on this forum?

Why have you unleashed this narcissist upon us?

Chips here mainly because you all respond to him.
Every thread becomes a debate between the 2 sides and never addresses the topic.

A little bit of patience is required to just let the sleeping dog lie there.

The 4 part article Chip put out is very good and is right on about so many points.

We all had a hand in Ual''s failure, and no one is without some blame.

So many things happened, which by themselves would not have been devastating, but coupled with the terrorist, the economy, and the attitudes put all of us in a bad position.

When you put it all into prospective, we are alive and able to make more money. Kids who would have a great future, and never had a chance to live, have made the greatest sacrifice in the war on terrorism. So many won''t be coming back from the middle east and continue to die for our security.
Think about that when we start to get a little petty. It might help.

----------------
On 7/18/2003 8:29:24 AM atabuy wrote:

Every thread becomes a debate between the 2 sides and never addresses the topic.

The 4 part article Chip put out is very good and is right on about so many points.

We all had a hand in Ual's failure, and no one is without some blame.

So many things happened, which by themselves would not have been devastating, but coupled with the terrorist, the economy, and the attitudes put all of us in a bad position.

When you put it all into prospective, we are alive and able to make more money. Kids who would have a great future, and never had a chance to live, have made the greatest sacrifice in the war on terrorism. So many won't be coming back from the middle east and continue to die for our security.

----------------​

PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR.

And I do not buy the implication that countering Chip's inaccurate and misleading blathering is somehow being unpatriotic.

Finally, I am not exactly sure what the US is doing in the Middle East, but so far it seems to be making the US less secure, not more. But that is a different topic...

----------------
On 7/18/2003 9:50:25 AM Bear96 wrote:

----------------

On 7/18/2003 8:29:24 AM atabuy wrote:

We all had a hand in Ual's failure, and no one is without some blame.

When you put it all into prospective, we are alive and able to make more money. Kids who would have a great future, and never had a chance to live, have made the greatest sacrifice in the war on terrorism. So many won't be coming back from the middle east and continue to die for our security.

----------------​

PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

And I do not buy the implication that countering Chip's inaccurate and misleading blathering is somehow being unpatriotic.

Finally, I am not exactly sure what the US is doing in the Middle East, but so far it seems to be making the US less secure, not more. But that is a different topic...

----------------​
Bear,
I think you read too much into this.
Let it go and he will go away. Why bring torment on yourself.

I did not imply patriotism to anything. I said at least we are still alive, and able to make more money. Not like some young men and women overseas.

Let me cite other examples.

I would rather take a paycut and lose a little money than be a :

Republican
Worker at McDonalds
Toll taker
Mortician
politician
street person
mental patient
And since retired, working at all.
ect...

Someone else always is better or worse off than ourselves. Focus on having it better than the others, and life will be a piece of cake.

Don't let Chip get to you. Everyone has self interest at heart most of the time.
If no one responds to his posts, he will fade fast. Just watch and see.

Latest posts