An Open Letter For The Cwa

basher

May 17, 2004
I have filled out membership cards three times and finally started to get dues taken from my check in Jan. Our stewards have said that we are going to have to pay back dues or be fired. We have asked them time and time again about cards and whay no one has taken out any dues. That is three years worth of dues that would calculate to about $720.00. With our new contract, that I didnt get to vote on by the way, I cannot pay that kind of money. One steward, has said that "the union will get their money, one way or another." So, this is what Im looking at, we lost our jobs, my pay is lower that when I started at Usairways, I'll have to pay over $700.00 worth of dues or lose my job or severence. Im not getting a buyout because Im less than 5 years, and it doesnt seem that the CWA really didnt care about protecting the pay of the "junior" employees. A high leader of the CWA has told one employee to march into the back office and do something, well I thought that was the job of the CWA. I always thought the point of being unionized was to protect the working people. In my situation it seems like we are the workers that no one looks out for.Your mail is probably screened, so I'll make sure I Bcc to everyone I can till I find out why we get kicked around by not only the company, but also our so called "brothers".

thank you for your time
Employee
USairways Res

just curious..which local do u belong to?....if you filled out 3 cards and your local failed to make sure the dues were being taken out then it isnt your fault and they shouldnt be threatening you with back dues being owed. There is a process that your card goes thru when u sign up and if your local didnt follow up on that process its not your fault...If you still get hassled I would follow up with a call down to DCA National Cwa hdtrs. with a complaint.....

I recently heard in INT someone was left go with 22 years of service for not paying her union dues, not sure if this was the reason..but it was the rumor for the day awhile back. Maybe the Cwa could set you up on some payment plan - I realize things are tight especially for the junior employees...even the senior ones are struggling with the paycuts to pay the day to day bills.

Although I'm sure over the time period mentioned CWA would've sent you a FEW letters? Stating the problem..did you just procrastinate...or was your address incorrect that they have on file?

People have been terminated in INt for nonpayment of dues, after and I repeat after several letters, more than one being registered. So, please no sad songs. The other issue being that seeing as you filled out 3 CWA cards, you were aware at the time of monies owed, I dont understand why you are griping now, you could have given them money yourself. Where is the personal responsibilty?

reznc said:
People have been terminated in INt for nonpayment of dues, after and I repeat after several letters, more than one being registered. So, please no sad songs. The other issue being that seeing as you filled out 3 CWA cards, you were aware at the time of monies owed, I dont understand why you are griping now, you could have given them money yourself. Where is the personal responsibilty?
[post="263357"][/post]​
since the union dues are suppose to come out, the only personal responsibilty would fall to the union. this guy may or may not of asked about prior to filling the second and third. may be he can elaborate on that. to me it seems like the union failed him by failing to take the dues out when they should

Robbed again, normally you would be correct. However, there was a move a couple of years ago in INT to stop the automatic payment to the CWA, as people were not happy with them. A whole lot of people stopped their biweekly deductions and that is when the games began, and people ended up owing money and letters were sent. The usual story of people not being well informed, getting half the story and following like sheep.

There is a 3 letter process that an agent will recieve if they 'refuse' to fill out a card whether to be member or just a 'fee' payer. Those letters go out for the refusal to fill them out. The 3rd and final one being the most harsh and threatening a job termination.
But in the case above if this agent actually filled out the 3 cards then it is up to the local treasurer to use the "MUMS" program that is provided by the union which keeps track of dues on everyone and who pays them. They must periodially check the list of names and can easily determine who is not paying ,then follow up with the National in DCA to get the payroll deduction problem taken care of.
Now if the agents in INT decided they were not going to have theirs payroll deducted then it becomes their responsibility to send in payment every month or they will be in default. Kind of a dumb move since there is no way around not paying or you will lose your job and having to have to make sure the payment is made every month on your own is a pain in the a.........just my opinion....Disliking the union is a personal issue but not paying the dues means you could be out of a job.

Regarding to the past dues.... the only members who are upset are the members who know they have not been paying dues. I know for a fact, on several different times, memo's were handed out in the work place referencing past dues. If I pay my dues... why shouldn't you? If you knew you couldn't vote because of past dues then you should have been on the phone straightening out the problem at that time. It is the responsibility of the member to make sure their dues is paid!!! If there was no payroll deduction, it would be the member's responsibility to make sure their dues were paid. It sounds like you feel you shouldn't have to pay dues because you didn't get "protected". Well, without a union, do you think you would have even gotten severence? They would have kicked you to the curb. The company really hit us hard in this concession package but we got more than we would have if we would have let the bankruptcy judge determine our livelihood. He proved that by making the UNIONS take a 21% paycut but allowing the management to take only 5% after giving themselves a 4% wage increase. The employees who dedicted their lives to USAirways by giving 25/30/35 years to this company did deserve something more than severence. I'm sorry you have under 5 years with this company and feel you were slighted but how arrogant of you to think that your paycut was worse than someone's elses. Every employee at USAirways has a family, bills, single moms with college tutitions, some with sick family members. so for you to think your situation is worse than others is self centered. Wait to you go get another job without a union, see how "protected" you are then!!! One more thing, instead of spreading rumors, why don't you get the truth. You do not have to pay years of union dues (although you should) and no high ranking CWA officer told you to march in and take care of it yourself. The bottom line is this example, you know you have to pay for your utilities, you can ignore paying them but eventually they are going to catch up with you by either shutting them off or making arrangements to help you catch up. The union is no different. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

basher said:
I have filled out membership cards three times and finally started to get dues taken from my check in Jan. Our stewards have said that we are going to have to pay back dues or be fired.
[post="263115"][/post]​
Basher,
Where did you go to fill out the membership cards? The res center or the union hall? If it was done at the Union Hall you had to know that you owed them back dues why didnt you pay them something right then and there? When was the last time you heard of a Union refusing to take a check?

Personally I think you were hoping they'd forget all about you and after a period of time Im sure you thought they did but now that they caught up with you and their demanding their money, now your coming onto this board asking other union dues paying members for advice.

Bottom line is if you want to keep your job not only are you going to have to pay back dues but your current dues as well.

The tangled web's we weave when trying to deceive.

tug_slug said:
Personally I think you were hoping they'd forget all about you and after a period of time Im sure you thought they did but now that they caught up with you and their demanding their money, now your coming onto this board asking other union dues paying members for advice.
[post="263654"][/post]​

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner.

basher said:
I have filled out membership cards three times and finally started to get dues taken from my check in Jan. Our stewards have said that we are going to have to pay back dues or be fired. We have asked them time and time again about cards and whay no one has taken out any dues. That is three years worth of dues that would calculate to about $720.00. With our new contract, that I didnt get to vote on by the way, I cannot pay that kind of money. One steward, has said that "the union will get their money, one way or another." So, this is what Im looking at, we lost our jobs, my pay is lower that when I started at Usairways, I'll have to pay over $700.00 worth of dues or lose my job or severence. Im not getting a buyout because Im less than 5 years, and it doesnt seem that the CWA really didnt care about protecting the pay of the "junior" employees. A high leader of the CWA has told one employee to march into the back office and do something, well I thought that was the job of the CWA. I always thought the point of being unionized was to protect the working people. In my situation it seems like we are the workers that no one looks out for.Your mail is probably screened, so I'll make sure I Bcc to everyone I can till I find out why we get kicked around by not only the company, but also our so called "brothers".

thank you for your time
Employee
USairways Res
[post="263115"][/post]​

basher said:

thank you for your time
Employee

BASHER,

EMAIL RICK BRASWELL AT [email protected]

AND STATE YOUR CASE. ITS WORTH A TRY
RGDS
NEWMAN

Join ALPA. They will take your dues and Duane will thank you for it. No hard feelings for failure to pay previous dues or even for failing to honor a picket line. As long as you pay your dues now, they will send you a shiny magazine to boot :D

First let me thank those who know the fact and support what Im saying. My job discription does not include doing the job of the CWA. The Lynn from the CWA has stated that "we sent out letters in Oct" well no one in the same boat has gotten one. Now how is it possible that 40 people did not recieve a letter.... or better yet, got one back as a return to sender.

robc98... I have already contacted washington and things are being worked on since my local is too busy worring about how to run US and not doing the job of perserving jobs or pay like it says in the CWA constitution.

reznc ... when you ask your union stewards what needs to be done, and no one knows or can give you the info.... or states that dont worry about it.... its probably still processing....well, after that personal responsibilty is out the window.... and the person who was fired from INT was told a number of times with many letters. We were NOT! someone here is not doing their job. PERIOD! 40+ Letters dont just get lost in the mail. Maybe the CWA should look into that.

so JD Dummin'- yes that happened about marching in the back office... and you are pobably one of those fools who sit and bash the trainers for leaving to train our replacements..... that I may add for the jobs that YOU voted out of the country.... its funny how you dont get an answer from the members club till you bring it out in the public. Sorry you cant rebid you sched, but if you would have gotten past the $20,000 line of the contract, you would see that the scheds can go as far as 150 days..... or better yet according to the CWA constitution shop stewards are required to goto 75% of CWA meeting.... I know some who never been to one.... NOT ONE! You can go ahead and put this on your CWA board right next to your racist photo's of the hispanic family.... with you witty little remarks. What you should have said is "Thanx CWA for giving our family a job" oh and this part was my personal favorite

"I'm sorry you have under 5 years with this company and feel you were slighted but how arrogant of you to think that your paycut was worse than someone's elses. Every employee at USAirways has a family, bills, single moms with college tutitions, some with sick family members. so for you to think your situation is worse than others is self centered"

You agreed to put me back further than where I started... $9.79 and hour.You have sent others who are single mothers who have bills to pay in the poor house. I speak for them. Have you fogotten about them? Not when you need a swap, right? Please, your the self centered one... at least I can speak up for the people who have been mistreated. At least I can be their voice. Show some compassion for you fellow employees. Your VP of the local even said we got the shaft. Sorry, I didnt get to see the glory years of double time @$44.00 an hour Well as long as you get your $20,000.... right? who cares about the jobs. Maybe you should have saved a little bit of that money. I hope that money lasts a while, cause the job market is tough. If you want to know more you can stop and see me anytime. Third row, in the international section... Im sure anyone there will point me out. I'll tell you who said to march in the back office.... wanna call my bluff? well then bring it, and we'll march over to talk to them together.

Tug Slug - if I was tring to dodge a $20.00 a month payment .... then why would I keep asking why they are not taking it? IBEW local 5 was taking 4 times that much when I worked there.... but they also knew how to run a union. They knew that a unions job was to protect the members... not sit around and discuss how to run the company. Its beyond that now... now its about the point. Theres no webs here homeboy... read your CWA bylaws... or have you ever read them? probably not. All I need is 10% of the local to call a meeting, and belive me I can get way more than that.

Piney Bob- please man, get a life... dont you have anything better to do than post on this site over 4800 + times? If you need some help finding out what the difference between real life and the internet follow this link

http://gprime.net/video.php/reallifevsinternet

We were screwed by the CWA and now they want money. Well what you are taking now since nov is all you are getting from me till im out. I have nothing to lose, CWA already gave that away. They dont even follow their own bylaws or constitution. Soon they will be sending shop stewards for your unemployment hearings with no experience... and thats the truth. I have heard it with my own ears how some of the last few hearings went. "well, I have a better idea how to do things next time" one said.

good luck to all of you.... you are going to need it.

basher said:
Tug Slug - if I was tring to dodge a $20.00 a month payment .... then why would I keep asking why they are not taking it? IBEW local 5 was taking 4 times that much when I worked there.... but they also knew how to run a union. They knew that a unions job was to protect the members... not sit around and discuss how to run the company. Its beyond that now... now its about the point. Theres no webs here homeboy... read your CWA bylaws... or have you ever read them? probably not. All I need is 10% of the local to call a meeting, and belive me I can get way more than that.
good luck to all of you.... you are going to need it.
[post="264698"][/post]​
Basher,

Sorry to hear that your having such a hard time making ends meet I sincerely mean that.

It sounds like you spoke to someone at the hall on several different occasions that's when you should have started paying your dues had you just started sending them a check instead of waiting for them to send you a bill some 3 years later you wouldn't be in the spot your in now. :blink:

As far as me reading my CWA bylaws your right I haven't done that only because Im not a member of the CWA with that in mind why in the world would I want to read their bylaws?

Your right about what a unions job is but beings you weren't paying dues does that give you the same protection as a dues paying member? In my opinion it doesn't but that's not how a union works, had you been terminated during that time regardless of how much the money you owed the union they would have been obligated to try to get your job back.

You werent screwed by the CWA you were screwed by the company!