An open letter to James Little

The Dissident

Senior
Contributor
Dec 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Below is the text of a letter I sent to James Little.
View attachment P Carroll to James Little.doc

Feb 2 2013

Patrick Carroll

P O Box 162494

Fort Worth Texas 76161

James Little

By certified mail 7012 3050 3333 1850 9588

TWU International Headquarters
501 3rd St. NW - 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20001

RE: Laid Off From Employment at AA

Open Letter

Dear President Little,

Recently I was made aware that American Airlines Inc. (AA) employees with less seniority than I have/had are currently working at the TAESL engine overhaul facility at AFW airport. This is troubling news to me in that I have/had seniority rights to that employment and through no fault of mine my employment was terminated due to the actions of the TWU acting collectively with AA. I am intent on gaining insight into specifically what the TWU is doing and shall do to mitigate the harm done to me and my family by the actions of TWU International officers colluding with AA management and the resultant harm effected against me and my family.

On December 14[sup]th[/sup] , 2012 I was laid off from my employment with AA/TAESL with only one day notice. Would you like to receive only one day notice that you were losing your job, President Little? Now I am told that TWU represented personnel with less seniority are employed where I was laid off from! All the while TWU Local 567 officers are still gainfully employed and, to my knowledge, failing to act on my behalf.

It would seem that the TWU International is complicit in this scheme in that a letter generated by Mr. Don Videtich only implies that a 29d grievance might have to be filed to mitigate many, and that is probably into the hundreds, of such grievances. This condition might have been averted if only the TWU stood firm in the application of the current agreement which they hold upon high as setting industry standards. Instead, the TWU has set upon a course of underhandedly capitulating to AA demands that AA does not need to abide by; the Basic Agreement, general industry practice, and state laws regarding laid off employees and instead is allowing AA management to “wing it” during the current layoffs.

One day notice, President Little, and I am not the only employee so affected. Is that the best the TWU can do, allow their dues paying members to be treated no better than a day laborer in a non-union setting? I was disgusted when reading the letter I received regarding how much the TWU has done representing their AA memberships. I am choking on my own bile while you carp about how great you and your labor expert staff are handling the business at hand with AA. AA is doing what it wants and your “experts” are assisting them in their efforts.

I am eagerly awaiting your response as to your plan to restrain AA from it actions violating mine and many other employees rights through their unlawful actions while laying me off out of seniority. Are you, President Little, do something more than appear as a self-aggrandizing figurehead for the TWU and actively support your dues paying membership instead of AA management. It appears you hide behind low level appointed flunkies that are in their positions only because of their “sworn allegiance” to whatever you and AA concoct relating to the harmful treatment of TWU dues paying members.

Thank you for your attention to the matters I have shared with you. As I ready myself for what might come to me and my family I will take with me the TWU’s actions regarding myself and multitudes of dues payers; harmed not only by the employer, but also by their own Bargaining Agent, the TWU.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Patrick Carroll

Former Shop Steward

TWU Local 567

Reactions: 6 people
Below is the text of a letter I sent to James Little.
View attachment 9670

Feb 2 2013

Patrick Carroll

P O Box 162494

Fort Worth Texas 76161

James Little

By certified mail 7012 3050 3333 1850 9588

TWU International Headquarters
501 3rd St. NW - 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20001

RE: Laid Off From Employment at AA

Open Letter

Dear President Little,

Recently I was made aware that American Airlines Inc. (AA) employees with less seniority than I have/had are currently working at the TAESL engine overhaul facility at AFW airport. This is troubling news to me in that I have/had seniority rights to that employment and through no fault of mine my employment was terminated due to the actions of the TWU acting collectively with AA. I am intent on gaining insight into specifically what the TWU is doing and shall do to mitigate the harm done to me and my family by the actions of TWU International officers colluding with AA management and the resultant harm effected against me and my family.

On December 14[sup]th[/sup] , 2012 I was laid off from my employment with AA/TAESL with only one day notice. Would you like to receive only one day notice that you were losing your job, President Little? Now I am told that TWU represented personnel with less seniority are employed where I was laid off from! All the while TWU Local 567 officers are still gainfully employed and, to my knowledge, failing to act on my behalf.

It would seem that the TWU International is complicit in this scheme in that a letter generated by Mr. Don Videtich only implies that a 29d grievance might have to be filed to mitigate many, and that is probably into the hundreds, of such grievances. This condition might have been averted if only the TWU stood firm in the application of the current agreement which they hold upon high as setting industry standards. Instead, the TWU has set upon a course of underhandedly capitulating to AA demands that AA does not need to abide by; the Basic Agreement, general industry practice, and state laws regarding laid off employees and instead is allowing AA management to “wing it” during the current layoffs.

One day notice, President Little, and I am not the only employee so affected. Is that the best the TWU can do, allow their dues paying members to be treated no better than a day laborer in a non-union setting? I was disgusted when reading the letter I received regarding how much the TWU has done representing their AA memberships. I am choking on my own bile while you carp about how great you and your labor expert staff are handling the business at hand with AA. AA is doing what it wants and your “experts” are assisting them in their efforts.

I am eagerly awaiting your response as to your plan to restrain AA from it actions violating mine and many other employees rights through their unlawful actions while laying me off out of seniority. Are you, President Little, do something more than appear as a self-aggrandizing figurehead for the TWU and actively support your dues paying membership instead of AA management. It appears you hide behind low level appointed flunkies that are in their positions only because of their “sworn allegiance” to whatever you and AA concoct relating to the harmful treatment of TWU dues paying members.

Thank you for your attention to the matters I have shared with you. As I ready myself for what might come to me and my family I will take with me the TWU’s actions regarding myself and multitudes of dues payers; harmed not only by the employer, but also by their own Bargaining Agent, the TWU.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Patrick Carroll

Former Shop Steward

TWU Local 567

Unfortunately Patrck this is not the first time this has happened. back in 2003, People who were suppose to bump the system were allowed to fill in spots at other stations regardless of seniority. I flew down to dallas immediately and protested this action and pressed the Interntaional to follow the contract. Don V.said we should grieve it. After several months of back and forth rhetoric we were toid they could not change it as making it right would cause too much disruption.
Be prepared for the same treatment. If Jim wants to change it he would have done it already.
good luck with it but past experience seems to hold the future.

Reactions: 2 people
This is bull####! How many members' rights are going to trampled on by Little and his cronies? There needs to be a mass protest at every local with demands that all of this crap be undone.

Reactions: 3 people
Unfortunately Patrck this is not the first time this has happened. back in 2003, People who were suppose to bump the system were allowed to fill in spots at other stations regardless of seniority. I flew down to dallas immediately and protested this action and pressed the Interntaional to follow the contract. Don V.said we should grieve it. After several months of back and forth rhetoric we were toid they could not change it as making it right would cause too much disruption.
Be prepared for the same treatment. If Jim wants to change it he would have done it already.
good luck with it but past experience seems to hold the future.
I believe the 2003 screwing was settled with an arbitrator. You need to get a labor lawyer immediately. The TWU and AA are bound buy this settlement. They must comply with the ruling. If the TWU does nothing you got a lawsuit for sure. File a complaint with the NMB.

Reactions: 1 person
We got people being laid off in AFW with less senior people taking their spots. We got people laid off in Tulsa and denied openings in title 2 except for TWU officers. Who knows what else is being allowed to go on. If we let this stuff happen without a fight we are no better than the people who are doing this. It could be you or I the next time.

Reactions: 2 people
I noticed that the twu bootlicking crew which jumps into action to defend their beloved master have been conspiuously abset. When I get the return reciept I will scan it and post it as well.

There are also people in TUL that came up from AFW that were supposed to be OSM's but are working as mechanics they have screwed this up so horrible bad I can't image the remedy to it

How sad. I've been a union member all my adult life except for my time in the Navy. I was mentored by some of the best union people. It sickens me when people proclaim to be union and their only in it for self gratification. Union representatives work for the members not the other way around. I believe in solidarity and we have none with the TWU. The time for a change is long overdue. Sign an AMFA card now and lets make that change. Dissident is not the only member that has been wronged by the Company and the TWU. The trail is long and scattered with many. Make your vote count when the time comes.

Kind Regards,
Harvey West

lickspittle1.jpg