Analysis of the CRJ-705 Dispute

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com

Analysis of the CRJ-705 Dispute

Prepared by Chip Munn

General Discussion

During the US Airways - ALPA contract restructuring, the pilot’s permitted US Airways to have the most flexible industry RJ scope clause, which includes authorization for 465 RJs including the EMB-170, EMB-175, and the CRJ-700. The 75-seat CRJ-705 is a variant of the CRJ-700 that is dimensionally the same as the CRJ-900. The CRJ-900 is Bombardier’s largest regional jet, can seat 86 passengers in a single class configuration or 75-seats in a two-class configuration. There are no mature carrier scope clauses that permit the CRJ-900 or CRJ-705 and authorization of the CRJ-705 Variant further erodes ALPA’s scope clause. Moreover, by every measure the CRJ-705 is a different aircraft than the -700, requires a different FAA pilot type rating, and exceeds the maximum permissible certificated gross weight.

US Airways is permitted to operate or code share CRJ-700s per the ALPA contract per the language listed below:

US Airways – ALPA Restructuring Agreement, Small Jets, Attachment B

Definitions of Small Jets – Large SJs are defined as jet aircraft having a certificated capacity of 51-70 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight not greater than 75,000 pounds. In addition Large SJs include (a) the EMB-170 aircraft with a maximum seating capacity of 78 seats and a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight of 82,100 pounds and (B) the EMB-175 aircraft with a maximum gross takeoff weight not greater than 86,000 pounds, provided, however, that every such EMB-170 and EMB-175 aircraft will only be configured for operations with a seating capacity of no more than 76 seats. Any jet aircraft configured for operation with more than 76 seats or with a certificated maximum gross takeoff weight greater than 86,000 pounds shall be operated by US Airways.

Accelerated Small Jets - Letter of Agreement #83

Other than as specifically modified in this Letter of Agreement, all terms and conditions of the ALPA-US Airways Restructuring Agreement effective July 1, 2002 (hereinafter referred to as the Restructuring Agreement) as modified by the Supplementary Cost Reductions Letter of Agreement (L.O.A. 84), shall remain in full force and effect.

2. The terms and conditions for placement of the Small Jet code share aircraft that are authorized to be placed at other carriers and flown under the US Airways code by the provisions of Attachments B, B-1, and B-3 of the Restructuring Agreement shall be modified under the terms and conditions stated below:

A. Up to 20 Medium SJs and up to 30 Large SJs (CRJ-700 aircraft only) may be operated by Mesa Airlines or by any wholly owned subsidiary of Mesa Air Group or Mesa Airlines under terms agreed to between Mesa Air Group and the Association. Such aircraft shall be subject to the Jets For Jobs Protocal and must be placed into revenue operation no later than December 31, 2004.

B. Up to 25 Large SJs (CRJ-700 aircraft only), in addition to the 30 Large SJs authorized in Paragraph 2.A above, may be placed into revenue operation by Participating Affiliate carriers, provided that they are placed inot revenue service no later than December 31, 2004, and provided further that they are subject to the Jets for Jobs Protocol (Attachment B-3 of the Restructuring Agreement). The foregoing does not preculde the placement of Large SJs in MDA in accordance with Attachment B of the Restructuring Agreement as amended by LOA 84.

C. Up to 25 Large SJs, specifically limited to the CRJ-700, may be placed into revenue operation at a Participating Wholly-Owned Carrier, other than MDA. All Large SJ positions created by operation of this paragraph shall be filled by US Airways pilots in accordance with the Jets for Jobs Protocol, Attachment B-3 of the Restructuring Agreement. In addition, as an exception to the Jets for Jobs Protocol, 100% of the first 25 Medium or Small Jet positions at the Wholly Owned Carrier where the above Large Small Jets are placed shall be filled by pilots of that Wholly Owned Carrier. Upon completion of the staffing of these aircraft, the 50/50 balance of hiring pursuant to the Jets for Jobs Protocol will be followed.

Jerry Glass letter to Bill Pollock

In a May 27 letter to MEC Chairman Bill Pollock, US Airways executive vice president of employee relations Jerry Glass said, the economics of the CRJ-700 Series 701 aircraft were never truly competitive with the EMB 170/175. It was not until we met with Bombardier on April 25, 2003, the day we closed the deal on the CRJ-200 and CRJ-700, that the manufacturer informed us of its intention to place an aircraft into the market that would compete with the EMB-170/175 aircraft. In our conversation last week, I also told you that there would be no dispute with ALPA regarding this aircraft. If the US-ALPA MEC believes that this aircraft violates the scope clause as outlined in LOA 83, we will not argue over the merits or intent of that language., Glass wrote.

The company then offered to place the CRJ-705 at a participating wholly owned airline, presumably PSA, and would offer to allow these aircraft to operate under the MidAtlantic contract. In addition, the first 25 of these jets would be staffed by furloughees per section 2.C. of LOA 83, listed above, but this had one catch. This revised agreement would have to be approved by the participating wholly owned carrier because it was not contained in their Jet for Jobs agreement.

ALPA Response

On June 26, US Airways senior vice president of corporate development and express Bruce Ashby and director of labor relations - flight Tony Bralich addressed the ALPA MEC on the CRJ-705 and other RJ issues.

The ALPA June 26 code-a-phone said management asked the MEC to consider several RJ issues: First, to approve Republic Airlines as a Jets For Jobs carrier. Republic Airlines and Chautauqua Airlines are operated by the same parent company. The Chautauqua pilots, who are represented by IBT, conditionally approved a Jets For Jobs agreement, but it was not accepted by Chautauqua or US Airways management. Second, the Company is asking the MEC to approve the utilization of the 75-seat CRJ-900 Series 705, one of the aircraft recently ordered by management, which exceeds the maximum small jet weight limit restrictions of the July 2002 Restructuring Agreement.

MEC members responded to both of management’s requests by stating that until management begins to properly administer the Contract in good faith and begins to engage in sincere efforts to repair the financial and labor relations damage that has resulted from their many insincere actions, MEC members will not consider additional requests for contractual flexibility.

Chip’s comments:

The only way the CRJ-705 can be flown in the US Airways network is on the mainline in addition to the 279 minimum fleet count, which was an option provided by the MEC to management. Obviously, this option was unfavorable to management thus US Airways made decision to place the CRJ-700 at Mesa. Section 2.A and 2.B above permit the company to operate these aircraft at an affiliate carrier and Ashby indicated this would occur at the June 26 meeting, if the MEC did not waive its scope provision by permitting the CRJ-705 to operate at a wholly owned company.

After announcing the decision to place the jets at Mesa Reuters wrote, The company ordered regional jets that were not in compliance with the agreements we had just reached, Air Line Pilots spokesman Roy Freundlich said. This was just one of many issues. ... Right now, we're having more problems with the company than we've ever had before. This is a victory for pilots.

In conclusion, the real issue is that the company may have reached an agreement to operate the CRJ-705 at a participating wholly owned carrier (which also has not agreed to the CRJ-705 with the first 25 going to 100% furloughed mainline pilots) provided in the MEC's eyes the company stops violating the contract in areas such as the 5% pay deferral, agrees to readdress the sick leave issue, and resolves the ACARS flight time problem, but management has elected to not address these issues.
From this observer’s perch, until management and ALPA can work together without strained relations without multiple corporate contract violations, the MEC will likely say no to further RJ contract relief because US Airways already has the most flexible RJ agreement in the industry.

From a corporate perspective, the decision to operate the CRJ-700 at Mesa Airlines will have little effect on US Airways. Regardless of how the aircraft are initially acquired, the CRJ-700 will ultimately be paid for by Mesa Airlines and US Airways will have lower debt and debt service, thus increasing cash flow during this economic down time. During previous RJ discussions, management stressed the benefit of affiliate agreements because it prevented US Airways' capital diversion. This decision will leave more capital available for general corporate purposes that the company can use for MidAtlantic expansion, which will provide a better product than the CRJ-705, the EMB-170/175.

Chip,
Thanks for the analysis. It appears these "crooks" just want to steal more and more, and I''m glad that ALPA finally stood up to them. Furloughedagain doesn''t realize that the company really wanted to replace 25 (and eventually a larger number) more mainline jets with these RJs, and that would mean MORE furloughs and displacements. Thank you, ALPA for FINALLY having the cajones to say "NO".

And ALPA, once again, fails in its obligation to fairly represent its furloughed members because they''re incapable of analyzing the state of the industry and developing a plan to keep up with it.

As a result both the furloughed mainline pilots and the current wholly-owned pilots continue to have their contracts and their careers negotiated by "remote control" via the mainline scope language.

How does alpas stance hurt furloughed pilots?? I dont get it furloughed? I understand your frustration but i think their stance does the opposite. In yesterdays code a phone it was revealed or clarified that over 200 grievances have been filed with this "employer friendly mang. Sounds like all possibel "legal" aves are being sought ........

Chip,

Interesting analysis, but you don''t seem too concerned about the US furloughees who will lose a chance to fly again, due to this conflict. Is this really a victory for the pilots or is it a victory for ALPA? The two are not necessarily the same.

Furloughedagain,

I appreciate your passion, but there is much more going on here than meets the eye and your emotional comments are inacurate.

Best regards,

Chip

----------------
On 7/10/2003 9:27:12 AM Furloughedagain wrote:

70 seat plus airplanes at a wholly owned must be flown 100% by furloughed pilots.

70 seat plus airplanes at affiliate carriers at 50%.

ALPA is once again costing furloughed pilots jobs. The "soft landing" that was promised and preached by Chip at the inception of the MidAtlantic plan will take YEARS to absorb the nearly 2000 furloughed pilots.

Hardly seems like a soft landing to me.

ANY decision that ALPA makes that keeps furloughed pilots on the street longer is a violation of their duty of fair representation to those pilots.

I admire Chip''s continued belief in the company, its management, and the association. But if he''s buying into Roy Freundlich''s "this is a victory for the pilots" kool-aid, then he obviously doesnt talk to furloughed pilots very often.

----------------​
Hardly seems like a "soft landing" anyway you look at it, since either place you have to start at first year pay. It''s fairly clear to me that Dave has NO intention of recalling many of the furloughees, so you should just get on with yor life and get a job at a real airline or another field.

70 seat plus airplanes at a wholly owned must be flown 100% by furloughed pilots.

70 seat plus airplanes at affiliate carriers at 50%.

ALPA is once again costing furloughed pilots jobs. The "soft landing" that was promised and preached by Chip at the inception of the MidAtlantic plan will take YEARS to absorb the nearly 2000 furloughed pilots.

Hardly seems like a soft landing to me.

ANY decision that ALPA makes that keeps furloughed pilots on the street longer is a violation of their duty of fair representation to those pilots.

I admire Chip''s continued belief in the company, its management, and the association. But if he''s buying into Roy Freundlich''s "this is a victory for the pilots" kool-aid, then he obviously doesnt talk to furloughed pilots very often.

U ALPA has not acted in the best interests of its junior members ever since the RJ revolution began. It is Comair, ASA, and CoEx that put 2000 US Airways pilots on the streets. Throughout the late 90s, other carriers' express ops nibbled away at U's east coast fortress while ALPA refused to budge on their ridiculus scope clause.

Between 1997 and 2000 did any U MEC members ever fly through CHS, CAE, GSP, PWM, CAK, MKE ...? It was obvious U was losing to Comair and other regionals in all these cities. Comair was operating six jet departures a day out of these cities and doing it cheaper than U because everyone working at these stations was an express employee. Also, Comair was delivering its PAX to more well conected hubs than US Airways. Take a look at Delta's route map out of CVG compared to PIT. I knew U was in trouble when it became easier to jumpseat on Comair and Delta than it was to nonrev or jumpseat on U.

It was obvious to anyone flying though the U system that our core bussiness was rotting away, and what did U ALPA do? They decided it was time to fight for their parity plus 1%. Gangwall came to ALPA time and again with RJ proposals, but this fell on deaf ears. The WO came to U ALPA asking for a flow through agreement, but that also fell on deaf ears. Instead of using the boom years to grow our express system and make a cushion for U's junior pilots ALPA tried to bleed U for all they could. During this time, the Delta pilots, who had the least restrictive scope langauge, signed the highest paying contract in airline history. Where do you think all that money came from to pay the Delta pilots? It came from former US Airways customers.

I flew with a furloughed Continental pilot the other day. He said he is one of only sixty furloughed continental pilots that did not get a position at CoEx through the flow down agreement. Imagine if U had built a decent express system over the past ten years. Maybe we would not have 2000 pilots on the streets, and maybe we would still be getting payed like Delta.

Bluestreak,
Boy are YOU sadly informed. It was the company that insisted on the Parity + 1 formula, not ALPA. In fact, that contract was barely passed by the rank-and-file. Also, I disagree with your assessment that "commuters will save the world". You''ve been drinking from Dave''s Kool Aid again, haven''t you? What built U, PI and PSA (mainline) was the fact that they flew jets where others either didn''t go, or only flew small airplanes. Now, the Daves want to "pull the rug out" and leave U with exactly the same problem that their competition had in the early years, while giving the advantage to the LCCs. The RJ thing isn''t saving CO, and apparently not even Midway. They''re losing money like everyone else. Only guys like Ornstein are profiting at the expense of the larger airline shareholders. If you work for a commuter (which I suspect), then you''d better hope that the majors get healthy quickly, or MANY commuter airlines will soon cease to exist, as the majors downsize themselves into commuter airlines. Why do you think that Dave is playing hardball with the Wholly owneds? Only one reason. He won''t need them anymore when U becomes the "super regional" airline that Dave is shooting for. ALPA is NOT your enemy. The Daves clearly are.

----------------
On 7/10/2003 7:08:57 AM Chip Munn wrote:

Furloughedagain,

I appreciate your passion, but there is much more going on here than meets the eye and your emotional comments are inacurate.

----------------​

Chip,

While I think that your commentary is often accurate, I''d say that even you cannot spin away the habit of Mainline ALPA MEC''s to "eat their young."

This latest routine is yet another instance of this in most part.

----------------
On 7/10/2003 10:26:22 AM Furloughedagain wrote:

Typical senior ALPA pilot.

"...just get on with your life and get a job at a real airline or another field."

Just so long as they dont touch your retirement right?

Sorry. I believe that ALPA still is bound by its duty of fair representation. I''ll continue to push for a UNION that understands that JOBS should be ALPA''s Job #1.

----------------​
Sorry, WRONG again. I realize that the reality hurts, but you''ll have to face it one day. ALPA is it''s members, and I stand behind them 100%. I don''t always agree with them, but that''s the way it goes. Fair representation goes for the senior guys as well as the junior ones. You really should see a professional about your persecution complex. You may also be suffering from the Stockholm syndrome, since you''re beginning to see things the way YOUR ENEMY wants you too.

----------------
On 7/10/2003 9:39:48 AM passed_over wrote:

Oldie the bigger problem that you at the mainline will soon find out is that the wholly owned could have and would have been the the best option for the U pilots to get the 705''s to and not the 700''s to MESA. As MESA continues to grow and there stock goes through the roof and I dare say that there will be a buyout coming soon and it will be MESA buying Airways. Then you guys will get to work under a real draconian management.

----------------​
Sorry, I don''t buy it. Even if Ornstein did by U, they would STILL have to deal with collective bargaining agreements. To date, Mesa has been able to intimidate their groups into something less than industry standard, but even that won''t continue forever. The SCOPE agreements are all that is protecting the mainline jobs and even the mainline network at this point, so I''m STILL glad that ALPA stood their ground. The days of U''s WOs are limited, since U itself will be a regional soon. That is what YOU have to worry about, not whether ALPA "lets" you fly RJs or not. Dave could have given these jets that you talk about to the WOs, but he chose not to. The writing is on the wall. By the way, If you look at the APL, you''ll see that well less than half of the furloughed guys are even accepting jobs at ANY of the J4J carriers. Probably because they can earn more working in the plumbing department at Home Depot selling toilets than working here for first year commuter pay. It''s terrible what this career has turned into. And, it would be a whole lot worse without SCOPE protection.

Oldie the bigger problem that you at the mainline will soon find out is that the wholly owned could have and would have been the the best option for the U pilots to get the 705''s to and not the 700''s to MESA. As MESA continues to grow and there stock goes through the roof and I dare say that there will be a buyout coming soon and it will be MESA buying Airways. Then you guys will get to work under a real draconian management.