Anderson Resigns

Bigsky

Advanced
Oct 29, 2002
Associated Press
Northwest CEO Anderson Resigns From Post
Friday October 1, 11:09 am ET
By Joshua Freed, AP Business Writer
Northwest Airlines CEO Richard Anderson Resigns From Post to Take Top Job at UnitedHealth Group

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Northwest Airlines chief executive Richard Anderson has resigned to take a top job at health care insurer UnitedHealth Group Inc., the companies said Friday.
Anderson will become executive vice president at UnitedHealth on Nov. 1.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041001/northwest_a...anderson_8.html

North by Northwest said:
It's been pretty much a co-chairmanship since the beginning of his term. He did a pretty good job during a very difficult time in the industry. Best wishes to him.
[post="186581"][/post]​

Indeed, while we may have had our differences with him at times, most everyone I know thinks he did a good job and are sorry to see him leave. I wish him well.

Why do I have this hunch that Steenland will make Nyrop seem like an altruistic people person?

I agree Anderson (and team) did pretty well with the crappy post-LBO/Sept 11 cards that were in his hand. He would have been a star if he could have got some team spirit started again, seeing as NWA has the resources to steamroll over the rest of the industry if that component was strong.

It would be a serious mistake for the new CEO to assume a combative stance with the employees. It will be the death nell for any airline. He's a smart, experienced (airline biz) man. I don't think DS wants to be known as the man that destroyed Northwest. Afterall, he has been co-ceo for awhile now. It would serve him well to utilize what he has garnered from RA. I think he knows that he is lucky enough to assume the role at a time when NWA is positioned to soar... if he plays his cards right. The industry will shake out over the course of the coming year, and Northwest will be one of the survivors.

North by Northwest said:
It would be a serious mistake for the new CEO to assume a combative stance with the employees. ...... Afterall, he has been co-ceo for awhile now. ....It would serve him well to utilize what he has garnered from RA.
[post="186720"][/post]​
I agree, it just seems like RA was always the "face" of the company while DS was the "nuts and bolts" guy. I just don't think he has the charisma (for lack of a better term) or desire to win over the hearts and minds of the masses, and instead will take the easy way and continue the eristic pattern of labor/mgmt. behavior the Red Tail is famous for.....I would be *very* happy to be proven wrong eventually. Time will tell I suppose.......

THIS is very interesting..."New Northwest Airlines Corp. Chief Executive Doug Steenland promised Friday that the airline’s strategy would remain constant when he succeeds Richard Anderson, who is leaving to work for UnitedHealth Group.

The airline will continue to seek nearly $1 billion in labor concessions, push for a major expansion of the Minneapolis St. Paul-International Airport and add Midwestern routes along with resuming non-stop Detroit WorldGateway to Asia flights, said Steenland, who previously was the airline’s president.

The continuity shouldn’t come as a surprise, he said, because he and Anderson had been working in a “collaborative, almost sort of a co-CEO operation over the last several years.â€￾ Both men assumed the top two jobs in February 2001". It is about time! I believe the difference in the two men is that DS is a bit more agressive. It will be interesting to see where he takes the airline.

North by Northwest said:
I believe the difference in the two men is that DS is a bit more agressive. It will be interesting to see where he takes the airline.
[post="187003"][/post]​
NxNW--

Serious question; What makes you think this?

Steenland interview in the Detroit News

Personally, I could care less about executive compensation as long as they do well for the company and are held accountable. How are you gonna attract Major League talent if you don't offer Major League compensation? I'm only here because major airlines paid better than car dealerships and mill-wright/skilled labor positions at factories. Drop the pay too much and you may not be happy with who's left.

Latest posts