Anderson's Advice for Success, Say NO!

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/07/tips-for-success-from-delta-air-lines-ceo-richard-anderson/

1. Know when to say “no”
Perhaps the best advice for time and workload management – know when to say no.  This is a tough lesson to learn as, in school, we are taught to be “yes men” which ultimately leads to being overextended and less effective. Anderson framed this tip in the context of declining meeting invites, which as the leader of a multi-national airline, he must receive many.
The intent of the tip carries well beyond meeting invites, however. For leaders this means trusting that you have hired and developed a team capable of being self-sufficient. For knowledge workers, it’s knowing when to push back so we can focus on those projects with the highest priority and best outcomes.  Former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates would agree: “My success, part of it certainly, is that I have focused in on a few things.”

Reactions: 1 person
yoyodyne said:

Exactly!!
Say NO to the IAM!!!
The best thing he doesnt have a say in the employees say YES to the IAM.

139_Union_Yes_small.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Won't stop him from trying, though...

But RA does have a point; knowing when to say "no" is actually an important skill. I'd say it's time for DL workers to taking his advice on a whole host of things, like:

2 man crews being the norm

Poorly maintained GSE

"Culture of safety" being an empty phrase

The ever shifting policies and procedures, and inconsistent application of same.

Inequality in the workplace

Reactions: 3 people