Another Airline Shattered

The Ronin

Senior
Sep 17, 2002
Delta to Cut Up to 7,000 Jobs in 18 Months
22 minutes ago
By HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer
Delta Air Lines CEO Gerald Grinstein speaks during the company's annual ...More...

ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines will cut up to 7,000 jobs, reduce wages and pull back at its Dallas-Fort Worth airport hub as part of a sweeping restructuring plan that could still leave it vulnerable to bankruptcy.

The job cuts representing about 10 percent of its overall work force will come over the next 18 months, Delta chief executive Gerald Grinstein said Wednesday during a meeting with 300 of the company's middle managers. More job cuts are likely in the future, he added.

There will be a 15 percent reduction in administrative overhead costs, including management cuts. A reduction in wages will announced by the end of the month, and employees will be expected to pay larger contributions for health insurance.

In addition, Grinstein said Delta will no longer use the Dallas-Fort Worth airport as one of its four hubs as of 2005. Instead, Delta will expand its hubs in Cincinnati, Atlanta and Salt Lake City with redeployed aircraft from Dallas-Fort Worth.

About 2,000 of the jobs will be cut from Dallas-Fort Worth and significant cuts are expected at the airline's Atlanta headquarters.

Despite all of these measures, Grinstein said "bankruptcy is a real possibility."

"We're working hard and fast to avoid it," Grinstein said.

Delta Air Lines Inc., the nation's third-largest carrier, has been warning investors for months that it may have to file bankruptcy if it didn't get deep wage cuts from its pilots. Management said on July 30 it needed a minimum of $1 billion in concessions from pilots to survive. Pilots had previously offered up to $705 million, then accused the company of acting in bad faith when it asked for much more.

Grinstein said talks with the pilots are continuing, "but time is running out" to reach an agreement. He declined to be more specific.

Delta has lost more than $5 billion and reduced its work force by 16,000 in the last three years. The changes announced Wednesday are part of Delta's goal to save more than $5 billion by 2006.

"Given the severity of our financial situation, there are no guarantees for success and there is no time to waste," Grinstein said during the meeting. He said he still has hope for the airline's future.

As of June 30, Delta and its subsidiaries had 70,300 full-time employees and 842 total aircraft, regulatory filings show. Delta also has several regional carriers, including Atlantic Southeast Airlines and Comair, and a low-fare carrier, Song.

Besides the Dallas-Fort Worth hub targeted in the cuts, Delta has hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati and Salt Lake City. Delta also is a major U.S. carrier to Europe.

"In the past, we are used to living from cycle to cycle," Grinstein said. "What we're now seeing is something that is so fundamentally different, there is no comparison to the past. What we are doing is building a new airline for the new era."

Last week, rival American Airlines and its regional affiliate said they would add 70 flights from Dallas-Fort Worth airport by summer 2005. American, the largest U.S. carrier and a unit of AMR Corp., said it would increase frequency of flights from DFW to 31 other airports in the United States and Mexico.

"This is our home and Dallas-Fort Worth Airport is a key to the long-term success of our company in an extremely difficult industry environment," said Gerard J. Arpey, chairman and chief executive of both American and parent AMR.

In late morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange, Delta shares were down 22 cents, or nearly 5 percent, at $4.26 while AMR shares rose 25 cents, or nearly 3 percent, to $9.17

I really feel for these people....I mean, we are going down the river with them but if they can't get their act together with ONLY one union to deal with....then I don't see much hope on the horizon. Of course, drop by http://www.airlinepilotpay.com/index.htm
and you'll see whats killing them. Just makes you sick....

This doesn't have a whole lot to do w/ UAL other that to show how an airline actually should restructure its operations.

Don't worry Delta's pilots won't be foolish enough to get in the boat w/ UAL since it is perfectly obvious what will happen if they do. Glad to see a deadline for talking has finally been announced.

Given that the entire market is down, I wouldn't expect DAL to be up. Given that DL is dumping 20 plus gates on the market in a very good airport from a cost and geography standpoint and w/ high fares, AMR's stock gain may be premature. DL is undoubtedly entertaining offers on its DFW gates right now.

Delta Cost-Cut Plan Doesn't Allay Bankruptcy Concern
By Elizabeth Souder, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES, Dow Jones

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE:DAL) (DAL) Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein plans to chop another $2.7 billion in costs in the next two years by cutting up to 7,000 jobs and rejigging the airline's network.

Analysts say the idea of improving efficiency in order to operate more flights with fewer employees will probably keep the loss-making Atlanta carrier flying. But it won't keep the airline out of bankruptcy court.

Read the entire article here.

Too little too late.

WorldTraveler said:
Don't worry Delta's pilots won't be foolish enough to get in the boat w/ UAL since it is perfectly obvious what will happen if they do.
[post="177188"][/post]​

That's why many of them are taking their lump sum and retiring early. Or maybe they are leaving early, out of the genorisity of their hearts, so that the junior pilot can move up, what do ya think. :shock:

Borescope said:
That's why many of them are taking their lump sum and retiring early. Or maybe they are leaving early, out of the genorisity of their hearts, so that the junior pilot can move up, what do ya think. :shock:
[post="177305"][/post]​

I think that Mr. Grinstein has had enough of the pilots raiding of the cookie jar. If they want to leave, they have about 21 days to move before Delta pulls the plug on the lump sum party - which is their right to do as host of the party.

The irony is that DL has told its pilot and non-pilot personnel that it has no intention of cutting accrued pension benefits but does want a new retirement structure going forward. Clearly this approach is significantly different and more employee friendly than that of a particular Chicago based once high flying megacarrier.

WorldTraveler said:
I think that Mr. Grinstein has had enough of the pilots raiding of the cookie jar. If they want to leave, they have about 21 days to move before Delta pulls the plug on the lump sum party - which is their right to do as host of the party.

The irony is that DL has told its pilot and non-pilot personnel that it has no intention of cutting accrued pension benefits but does want a new retirement structure going forward. Clearly this approach is significantly different and more employee friendly than that of a particular Chicago based once high flying megacarrier.
[post="177344"][/post]​

You'll put a spin on anything....LOL :up:

Yes, Ronin, it's all ALPA's fault. You talk about ALPA's actions over at Delta but you fail to mention the mechanic's actions currently over at US Air (they won't even negotiate) and they're on the verge of liquidation without concessions from their mechanics! But that selective memory, unfortunately, is typical for you. Yes, Ronin. It's all ALPA's fault.....

Ronin, after you're done with that airline pilot pay website, you can cut and paste the link below and see how a bunch of overpaid mechanics are about to drag their carrier into liquidation. OH wait. I forgot. That's ALPA's fault too. What was I thinking?

http://www.iamdl142.org/TransformationPlan...Final_8-311.pdf

WOW, what a comparison chart. These guys think that the LCC'S are driving down their wages to.

F9

Swings mechanic 30+
Graves mechanic 31
Lead/INSP MECH 32+

Looks like F9 is right up there with the legacy carriers. How come they keep blaming the LCC's for their wages being cut? I'd Know that SWA is over 40, what is it at AIR TRAN and JET BLUE.

Looks like you got only bad management to blame for your wage cuts :down: . Not the LCC'S :up:

ualdriver: Yes, Ronin, it's all ALPA's fault

He might think so, but I don't, so let's not go over the top in rebutting an over the top statement. It only distorts things beyong a reasonable comparison.

You talk about ALPA's actions over at Delta but you fail to mention the mechanic's actions currently over at US Air (they won't even negotiate)

...but why should they, insofar as they're currently in a court battle over the company breaking their previous ( concessionary ) agreement.

and they're on the verge of liquidation without concessions from their mechanics!

....riiiiiiight! They're killing the airline. No, they're "on the verge of liquidation" due to arrogant hidebound helmsmen with a failed business plan. You know that.

Hey High Iron, I'm just playing with Ronin. You and I both know the reality that exists at Delta, United, and US Air and the reasons they are where they are. Ronin doesn't. And I certainly don't fault the IAM at US Air for not negotiating considering the flagrant violation of their contract concerning the Airbus overhauls, among other things. Just like I can understand Delta ALPA being extremely hesitant to agree to large, unilateral give backs to a management team that they don't trust (remember the secret Delta management retirement plans while their management was cutting everyone else's benefits?) Unfortunately, Ronin likes to post inflammatory inaccuracies that blame ALPA and/or pilots for everything evil on earth, so sometimes I get bored and respond to his posts to show how out of touch with reality he is. Please take no offense!

ualdriver

Hey Ronin, it's all ALPA's fault!

ualdriver said:
Yes, Ronin, it's all ALPA's fault. You talk about ALPA's actions over at Delta but you fail to mention the mechanic's actions currently over at US Air (they won't even negotiate) and they're on the verge of liquidation without concessions from their mechanics! But that selective memory, unfortunately, is typical for you. Yes, Ronin. It's all ALPA's fault.....

Ronin, after you're done with that airline pilot pay website, you can cut and paste the link below and see how a bunch of overpaid mechanics are about to drag their carrier into liquidation. OH wait. I forgot. That's ALPA's fault too. What was I thinking?

http://www.iamdl142.org/TransformationPlan...Final_8-311.pdf
[post="177355"][/post]​
Hmmm....didn't I just read ALPA rejected their deal with the USAir???? :shock:

Actually, Ronin, ALPA stated today that they amended their agreement with Delta yesterday about early retirements (not sure what it had before or what it now has) that is supposed to help alleviate DL’s concerns about early retirement. Obviously, ALPA agrees with Delta that it is an issue and is willing to meet the company’s concerns in order to keep the negotiating process moving forward. Obviously, Jerry’s conference call took place before ALPA amended their agreement (unless ALPA scheduled a 6.30 a.m. meeting) so Jerry’s concern was valid. I don’t think there is any need to spin a logical progression of Delta’s transformation plan.

WorldTraveler said:

[post="177344"][/post]​

They're the pilots' cookies! They negotiated for them and earned them. Just who should keep whose hand out of the cookie jar?

I salute the guys who are telling Delta what they can do with their transformation plan. If they want everyone on new-hire pay, and welch on the deal they made on retirement, then they can have all new-hires.

It's funny that the airline management needs labor to save the airline from....airline management (or more accurately mis-management). Well, not ha-ha funny.

There's water all around the crow's nest and they're telling the employees to go below and start bailing water.

I never said the pilots weren't entitled to the lump sum payments they are getting. But that doesn't mean it's sustainable.

Why weren't you calling Delta management idiots, say about 37 months ago when they handed out 25% pay raises or whatever ridiculous number it was? Let's see now...management is only idiotic if they ask for you to adjust to the reality but they are perfectly ok as long as they let you keep your hands in the cookie jar. Sorry...life doesn't work that way and neither does any viable business.

Latest posts