Another Emergency

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
NEW HAVEN-- A U-S Airways jet had to make an emergency landing at Tweed Airport Wednesday evening.

Twenty-six people were on board the plane. All made it off safely.

The pilot of the plane called officials in New Haven, extremely concerned because one of the engines of the jet had died.

New Haven firefighters and emergency personnel were standing by on the scene just in case the worst were to happen.

After the plane safely landed at Tweed, all passengers got off safely and went to the terminal for further instructions. It was there that they were shown another plane to take them on their voyage.

So far, it is not known where the plane was headed on its initial journey, but it was not going to Tweed Airport.

Jim

This from the New Haven TV station:

(East Haven-WTNH, Feb. 23, 2005 6:45 PM) _ It was a scary landing for passengers aboard a Dash 8 US Air flight flying into Tweed- New Haven Airport.

East Haven Fire officials say that the pilot reported one engine out. The plane which was carrying 20 or more passengers landed safely.

It is not know what caused the engine to fail.

No one was injured.

Great job crew :up: I had rather fly on a Dash than a jet(RJ). Might be slower but the realability is much better. I know that A/C could land in a crow field.

emphasis added:

BoeingBoy said:
This from the New Haven TV station:

(East Haven-WTNH, Feb. 23, 2005 6:45 PM) _ It was a scary landing for passengers aboard a Dash 8 US Air flight flying into Tweed- New Haven Airport.

East Haven Fire officials say that the pilot reported one engine out.  The plane which was carrying 20 or more passengers landed safely.

It is not know what caused the engine to fail.

No one was injured.
[post="250421"][/post]​

Idiot local TV people :angry:

They just can't be satisfied reporting the facts. Gotta toss in the emotion. Get more people to book away from turboprops. :down:

Here's the latest....

Flight From LaGuardia Makes Emergency Landing In New Haven

POSTED: 8:13 am EST February 24, 2005

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Engine trouble forced a US Airways plane to make an emergency landing at Tweed-New Haven Airport Wednesday night, authorities said.

No one was injured.

The plane was traveling from LaGuardia Airport in New York to Portland, Maine. Jim Peters, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman, said the left engine failed and the plane was diverted to New Haven.

The Dash 8 turboprop plane was carrying 27 passengers and three crew members. The pilot noticed a drop in oil pressure in one engine and knew there was a problem, said Tweed Airport Manager Rick Lamport.

Sounds like the crew did an outstanding job! :up: They earned every dollar they were ever paid and ever will will be paid in the successful outcome of that one flight. Can't stand all the sensationalism of the media though. Difficult, taxing, complicated, challenging, busy, stressful... Absolutely! But scary?? No. These guys/gals maintained their cool. I wish they would focus on that instead. Probably wouldn't sell as many papers though. :down:

These types of situations are exactly what pilots are trained for. It is an event in a pilot's career that requires all the skill, knowledge, experience, professionalism, and even instinct of the crew. Some are lucky to never have to face the real thing. But as pilots we are all ready for that one event should it ever occur.

I hope that those who tend to criticize the pilot community as overpaid, underworked, and spoiled, will take this opportunity to step back and consider for a moment a possible different outcome. One where not everyone walked away safely. And then give credit, not only to this crew, but to all of us who are ready to step up to the plate when the next event occurs. (maybe even on your next flight.)

767jetz said:
Sounds like the crew did an outstanding job! :up:
[post="250583"][/post]​

Agreed.

I was a pax on such a flight several years ago. It was on a redeye, originally LAS-PIT. We got an hour+ out of LAS and as everyone had settled in for a nap the lights all come on.

Captain comes on and says, "We've had a low oil light come on the right engine (was a 737-400 if I recall). We've had to shut it down to be safe. We're 30 miles out of DEN and decending out of 10,000. We're going to make a landing in DEN and get it looked at. FA's please prepare the cabin for landing. Our plane is designed to fly with only 1 engine. We should be fine. Please prepare the cabin for landing."

Yes, the people were nervous (including myself), but knowing that it can fly with only 1 engine helps (and knowing you've got some experienced folks up front helps, too). We landed with no problems at DEN... just had to wait 45 min for someone to let us in the terminal as everyone had gone home for the night... the morning crew wasn't in yet. Beyond that, there was no problems.

767jetz said:
Sounds like the crew did an outstanding job! :up:   They earned every dollar they were ever paid and ever will will be paid in the successful outcome of that one flight.  Can't stand all the sensationalism of the media though.  Difficult, taxing, complicated, challenging, busy, stressful...  Absolutely!  But scary??  No.  These guys/gals maintained their cool.  I wish they would focus on that instead.  Probably wouldn't sell as many papers though. :down:

These types of situations are exactly what pilots are trained for.  It is an event in a pilot's career that requires all the skill, knowledge, experience, professionalism, and even instinct of the crew.  Some are lucky to never have to face the real thing.  But as pilots we are all ready for that one event should it ever occur.

I hope that those who tend to criticize the pilot community as overpaid, underworked, and spoiled, will take this opportunity to step back and consider for a moment a possible different outcome.  One where not everyone walked away safely.  And then give credit, not only to this crew, but to all of us who are ready to step up to the plate when the next event occurs.  (maybe even on your next flight.)
[post="250583"][/post]​

Are you saying that pilots who are paid less would not be able to land the plane with one engine out?

A pilot incapable of handling this type of emergency is not authorized to fly fare paying passengers per FAA regulations.

JS said:
A pilot incapable of handling this type of emergency is not authorized to fly fare paying passengers per FAA regulations.
[post="250643"][/post]​

Per FAA regulations, pilots aren't allowed to crash, flotation cushions aren't allowed to be anchored to the seat frame, mechanics aren't allowed to leave gaskets out of oil lines on all the engines, ATC isn't allowed to put 2 aircraft on a collision course, etc, either. Doesn't stop those things from happening, cause they all have.

Jim

JS said:
Are you saying that pilots who are paid less would not be able to land the plane with one engine out?

[post="250643"][/post]​

WTF? ... over.

What on earth are you talking about. I don't remember comparing anyone's pay rate. Somebody help me out here. :rolleyes:

767jetz said:
WTF? ... over.

What on earth are you talking about. I don't remember comparing anyone's pay rate. Somebody help me out here. :rolleyes:
[post="250697"][/post]​

You said "I hope that those who tend to criticize the pilot community as overpaid, underworked, and spoiled, will take this opportunity to step back and consider for a moment a possible different outcome."

Latest posts