Another Major Cash Burn

gso2pit

Advanced
Mar 2, 2004
I was leaving CVG this weekend(an express city..has been for quite some time) and had some time to kill. Being curious, I walked up the stairs next to the use gate and to my surprise, there is a fully equipped/wired us gate area, 3 jetways available for service, ground equipment in place, and the interesting thing was that the entire room was done in the old school usair livery. ticket stock still in place, signs still up..etc. It was as if someone just walked out and turned out the lights. Could anyone think of a reason why usairways is still paying rent on this space? And if they are, why don't they bring mainline back to cvg? Seems very strange...

gso2pit said:
I was leaving CVG this weekend(an express city..has been for quite some time) and had some time to kill. Being curious, I walked up the stairs next to the use gate and to my surprise, there is a fully equipped/wired us gate area, 3 jetways available for service, ground equipment in place, and the interesting thing was that the entire room was done in the old school usair livery. ticket stock still in place, signs still up..etc. It was as if someone just walked out and turned out the lights. Could anyone think of a reason why usairways is still paying rent on this space? And if they are, why don't they bring mainline back to cvg? Seems very strange...
[post="198793"][/post]​

I don't think that space is being used or paid for by U. Only gate 5 on the lower level is used by UEx plus the ops area. The station is run by PSA and Express propabaly is the only airline still using the old Term 1. My understanding is the County wants to kick U out of Term 1 in CVG so they can close it down permanently. The only other gate space open is in Term 2, which is worse than Term 1.

Proir to the Merger, PI had a decent operation in CVG. I'm sure US did as well. It is hard to believe that a Major city such as CVG was Expressed several years ago.
But then again, most of the system since 89 has gone the same route....
At the time that CVG went Express, it was said that WE didn't want to go up against DL in their Hub. I'm sure they want to get out of our Hubs to leave all of the traffic to us too.