Another Midatlantic F/a Class Posted>?

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
A new MAA flight attendant class has been posted on the Hub. The first day of class is Monday, August 22, and 19 people received offers for the class.

Why would the company bring back people to only to furlough them when the Republic transaction goes through? Well, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that folks from the last three classes are waiting for their 90-day commitments to pass and then immediately plan to quit out of disgust over rearranging their lives for this company and then finding out that they were only being used in the first place because the company is anticipating massive resignations from MDA flight attendants.

I have spoken with people in the class that went through a couple of weeks ago. They were told nothing before signing their 90 day commitment letters, except that they would be offered an interview at Republic and the jobs were basically theirs to lose. Well, that may be the case... MAA flight attendants can interview with Republic. BUT... pay begins at $15 and some change... all MAA F/As go to the bottom of the seniority list... all MAA F/As will not be given a choice as to which Republic entity they work for (Chautauqua, TransStates, or the new operation which is stealing our 170s)... all MAA F/As won't know until they get out of training if they are flying for Delta, US Airways, or AirTimbuktu... all MAA F/As won't know where they will be based until their last day of training.

So, the company is hoping these people won't hear about the situation at MAA, that they will blindly sign their lives away after rearranging their lives, resigning their jobs, moving, entering into new leases, etc. So much for the soft landing that was promised the good people of US Airways! That's management's philosophy... F#CK the employees right to the end!

I encourage everyone to go on the Hub and look at the class list. If you know anyone who received an offer... or if you know anyone who might know them... PLEASE DO THEM A FAVOR and warn them before they get to class.

Sounds like CCY has a little side agreement to train flight attendants for Republic. I guess they think that people will go over to Republic after quitting previous jobs and investing time in training.

I think you're right, though, that there are going to be massive resignations from MAA--particularly if this does not cause you to lose your mainline recall rights.

DCAFlyer,

I saw the list last night. Also worth mentioning, some of these F/A's starting in the August class are not the most Junior. I am sure they were called many times before accepting a position.

I found some interesting reads that I have posted under other topics, but may be worth mentioning here. It may explain some of the reasons MDA continues to have classes. I am not too sure, but I find it all very interesting

First I stumble apon this paragraph in a recent filing to the United States Securities and Exchange Commision dated March 31, 2005

Due to the Company’s failure to take delivery by March 31, 2005 of the remaining three EMB-170 aircraft, damages accrue from and after April 1, 2005 until the delivery of the aircraft at the rate of $162,795 per month per aircraft. If the aircraft are not delivered by July 31, 2005, Embraer’s obligation to deliver such aircraft will terminate and its damages with respect to such undelivered aircraft may be as much as $10 million for all three aircraft (rather than at the rate of $162,795 per month per aircraft), with Embraer having the right to apply any remaining purchase deposits against Embraer’s aggregate damages. The Company is currently working to secure financing for these aircraft and recorded a charge of $2 million in the first quarter of 2005, which is included in Reorganization items in the Statement of Operations, associated with penalties expected to be incurred.

Here is my source from the following quote

Now, if Republic has "control" of these 3 birds sitting down in Brazil, then this last paragraph means nothing. As far as I know, no one has taken delivery of these 3 aircraft and it's just days away from July 31, 2005. If MDA is unable to take delivery or some type of control of these 3 Embraer aircraft and Republic is scrambling for cash (Republic looking for funds to buy UsAir assets) and STILL scrambleing for another certificate of their own, Then Us Airways will need to take delivery of these planes or it's going to end up quite costly. That is one reason I believe they are in such a rat race to close this deal.

With this said. IF this is all true, and again it's only my thoughts and opinion with a few simple facts thrown in, then we are going to need a few extra bodies (i.e. f/a's) to work these 3 new planes that Us Airways just may need to pick up.

Just my observation and i'm not spell checking this. MTG makes no sense

Let's get it together kids!!!!!! :ph34r:

pitguy74 said:
DCAFlyer,

I saw the list last night. Also worth mentioning, some of these F/A's starting in the August class are not the most Junior. I am sure they were called many times before accepting a position.

I found some interesting reads that I have posted under other topics, but may be worth mentioning here. It may explain some of the reasons MDA continues to have classes. I am not too sure, but I find it all very interesting

First I stumble apon this paragraph in a recent filing to the United States Securities and Exchange Commision dated March 31, 2005

Due to the Company’s failure to take delivery by March 31, 2005 of the remaining three EMB-170 aircraft, damages accrue from and after April 1, 2005 until the delivery of the aircraft at the rate of $162,795 per month per aircraft. If the aircraft are not delivered by July 31, 2005, Embraer’s obligation to deliver such aircraft will terminate and its damages with respect to such undelivered aircraft may be as much as $10 million for all three aircraft (rather than at the rate of $162,795 per month per aircraft), with Embraer having the right to apply any remaining purchase deposits against Embraer’s aggregate damages. The Company is currently working to secure financing for these aircraft and recorded a charge of $2 million in the first quarter of 2005, which is included in Reorganization items in the Statement of Operations, associated with penalties expected to be incurred.

Here is my source from the following quote

Now, if Republic has "control" of these 3 birds sitting down in Brazil, then this last paragraph means nothing. As far as I know, no one has taken delivery of these 3 aircraft and it's just days away from July 31, 2005. If MDA is unable to take delivery or some type of control of these 3 Embraer aircraft and Republic is scrambling for cash (Republic looking for funds to buy UsAir assets) and STILL scrambleing for another certificate of their own, Then Us Airways will need to take delivery of these planes or it's going to end up quite costly. That is one reason I believe they are in such a rat race to close this deal.

With this said. IF this is all true, and again it's only my thoughts and opinion with a few simple facts thrown in, then we are going to need a few extra bodies (i.e. f/a's) to work these 3 new planes that Us Airways just may need to pick up.

Just my observation and i'm not spell checking this. MTG makes no sense

Let's get it together kids!!!!!! :ph34r:
[post="282922"][/post]​

Pitguy... very interesting read. They have been clear that this needs to closed by the end of the month. I have been hearing that the company is telling the pilots that it's because we have an ATSB payment due this month and other balloon payments are due and that is the need for the Republic deal. Meanwhile, here we have a great operational division with great aircraft... almost all flights full... amazing workforce and an incredible product being offered. And what does CCY do? They bring its employees to the brink of mutiny. Many many people are wanting out and are waiting for the "incentives" to be announced. What they are thinking ain't gonna cut it for most people... $175 a month for every month people stay until furloughed, capped at $1750. A few other meaningless morsels put in there. And the folks from the last three classes are just waiting for their 90 days to come up before they resign. If the company thinks it was understaffed last week during the storms, you just wait until the incentives are finalized and the flight attendants tell the company where to shove it. People are going to quit and flights are going to be cancelled and MAA has been the workhorse of the company. Things are going to get ugly. Mainline people can't work the aircraft. They won't be able to get people trained fast enough... and there is no training plan on file with the FAA so they can't hire off the street. That's why they are stumbling to put classes together and make them sign a 90 day commitment that if they resign from MAA, they resign from mainline. Real nice way to treat people. And all the while there's Jerry Glass in negotiations trying to screw everyone before he goes on his precious vacation in early August.

jimntx said:
Sounds like CCY has a little side agreement to train flight attendants for Republic. I guess they think that people will go over to Republic after quitting previous jobs and investing time in training.

I think you're right, though, that there are going to be massive resignations from MAA--particularly if this does not cause you to lose your mainline recall rights.
[post="282917"][/post]​

Actually, it doesn't sound like Republic really wants the MDA people. They will make everyone go through new hire training and not tell them until graduation where they will be based or what division they will fly for. The 170 flying will definitely go to senior Shitauqua flight attendants... I hear they are salavating at the thought of flying our beautiful airplanes. And their pay is even lower than MAA's after the cuts they took from mainline.

DCAflyer said:
Why would the company bring back people to only to furlough them when the Republic transaction goes through? Well, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that folks from the last three classes are waiting for their 90-day commitments to pass and then immediately plan to quit out of disgust over rearranging their lives for this company and then finding out that they were only being used in the first place because the company is anticipating massive resignations from MDA flight attendants.

So, the company is hoping these people won't hear about the situation at MAA, that they will blindly sign their lives away after rearranging their lives, resigning their jobs, moving, entering into new leases, etc. So much for the soft landing that was promised the good people of US Airways! That's management's philosophy... F#CK the employees right to the end!

I encourage everyone to go on the Hub and look at the class list. If you know anyone who received an offer... or if you know anyone who might know them... PLEASE DO THEM A FAVOR and warn them before they get to class.
[post="282915"][/post]​

I am way out of the loop about when this takeover will occur. Won't everyone's (including the August 22nd class) 90 days committment be up by the time the Republic deal actually happens? :huh:

DCAflyer said:
I have spoken with people in the class that went through a couple of weeks ago. They were told nothing before signing their 90 day commitment letters, except that they would be offered an interview at Republic and the jobs were basically theirs to lose. Well, that may be the case... MAA flight attendants can interview with Republic. BUT... pay begins at $15 and some change... all MAA F/As go to the bottom of the seniority list... all MAA F/As will not be given a choice as to which Republic entity they work for (Chautauqua, TransStates, or the new operation which is stealing our 170s)... all MAA F/As won't know until they get out of training if they are flying for Delta, US Airways, or AirTimbuktu... all MAA F/As won't know where they will be based until their last day of training.

Since when is TranStates part of Republic? Also, how is someone stealing "your" 170's? When did "you" buy them and have you called the proper authorities to report the theft?

For heaven's sake it's one thing to be upset and emotional, but at least post the proper information. TranStates is in no way related to Republic and the last I heard, Republic was actually paying for the EMB 170's, not "stealing" them as you say.

I believe $1.2 billion per year in employee concessions from the first bankrupcy, which totaled over $2 billion from the employees' wallets was a big factor in getting the ATSB loan and the purchase of the 170s, ERJ-145s and the CRJ200 and 700s.

But hey don't let facts get in your way.

700UW said:
I believe $1.2 billion per year in employee concessions from the first bankrupcy, which totaled over $2 billion from the employees' wallets was a big factor in getting the ATSB loan and the purchase of the 170s, ERJ-145s and the CRJ200 and 700s.

But hey don't let facts get in your way.
[post="282957"][/post]​

Hey I'll be the first to tell you that if it weren't for the employees' sacrifices US would be no more, but that still doesn't change the fact that improper info. like "Transtates being part of Republic" or "stealing 170's" does nothing but cause unnecessary confusion and spark runaway fires.

MidwayMetrolink said:
Since when is TranStates part of Republic? Also, how is someone stealing "your" 170's? When did "you" buy them and have you called the proper authorities to report the theft?

For heaven's sake it's one thing to be upset and emotional, but at least post the proper information. TranStates is in no way related to Republic and the last I heard, Republic was actually paying for the EMB 170's, not "stealing" them as you say.
[post="282953"][/post]​
Sorry... my mistake. I meant Shuttle America. I was thinking about something else while I was typing. MAA F/As were told that they won't know if they would be working for Chautauqua, Shuttle America, or the new division that flies the 170s until they get out of training. And I stand by my "stealing" remark. Republic is paying only $100M for 28 aircraft, slots, simulator and mock-up door, and an instant turnkey operation whereby US Airways will by paying Republic to do the flying. This is notwithstanding the fact that US Airways employees made incredible sacrifices to begin the MidAtlantic operation, only to be told that their hard work and dedication means nothing to this management. Nothing is sacred to them.

DCAflyer said:
Sorry... my mistake. I meant Shuttle America. I was thinking about something else while I was typing. MAA F/As were told that they won't know if they would be working for Chautauqua, Shuttle America, or the new division that flies the 170s until they get out of training. And I stand by my "stealing" remark. Republic is paying only $100M for 28 aircraft, slots, simulator and mock-up door, and an instant turnkey operation whereby US Airways will by paying Republic to do the flying. This is notwithstanding the fact that US Airways employees made incredible sacrifices to begin the MidAtlantic operation, only to be told that their hard work and dedication means nothing to this management. Nothing is sacred to them.
[post="283003"][/post]​

Point Taken

Air conditioned said:
I am way out of the loop about when this takeover will occur. Won't everyone's (including the August 22nd class) 90 days committment be up by the time the Republic deal actually happens? :huh:
[post="282952"][/post]​

The transfer of aircraft is set to commence at the end of this month. Also, as far as the 90 commitment expiring before the transfer of aircraft, you have to realize that people are resigning other jobs, giving up apartments, etc. in anticipation of flying these planes. If they get to training and find out what is going on, they face the possible choice of maybe being able to get their jobs back and go home, or resign and give up their seniority, including the ability of taking that seniority into the merger. In addition, lots and lots of flight attendants who have already fulfilled their commitments are planning to quit.

There is some type of deal that needs to take effect before the 31st of this month (July). The actual transfer of aircraft, as of now, probably won't take effect until October or so. There are some factors still at play before they actually start obtaining MDA's 170's

Hey guys, I think this smells more like fish than anything else,check this out. Where is the list for the August class???? :unsure: I saw this thread started wednesday by DCAFlyer and I must say I haven't finished reading what everybody has said here to look for the list for the August class to do exactly what DC said do them a BIG favor and tell them not to come :down: , but there is no August class list :huh: . I know for a fact it said August class coming soon but now it just dissapeared :ph34r: But you want to know what the funny thing is, its that that page was updated TODAY! (July 21, its about midnight now.) Now, is this a coincidence or is it foul play. To me, I think these f :censored: ers are playing dirty. Post the list one day and take it off the next. Thats just bull :censored: ! Now if the list is somewhere else please let me know. If not, well these people are just a bunch of dirty cabrones. Well anyway I had to lift a raft off up in here. I just guess its a typical f :censored: ing by the company to the F/A here at MAA :mf_boff: . What do you folks think? Be safe!!

Boricua :cool: