Another Slap in the Face from APFA

kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
Most of us, even those of us negatively affected, have grown tired of the endless arguments over the various seniority issues. But a new twist is developing that I think some will find interesting.

As most are aware, the entire TWA FA workforce was stapled to the bottom of the AA list with the single exception being that as long as we stayed in STL, we would retain our original TWA DOH seniority for bidding purposes. It now appears neither the company nor the union have any intentions of abiding by the Seniority Integration Agreement, or SIA, as the agreement between AA and the APFA has become known.

On the APFA website, click the Furlough tab and then Updated Recall Q & A's. Question #25 states: I am a former TWA/now AA Flight Attendant. If I am able to transfer to St. Louis in the future, what will my occupational (bidding) seniority be?
Answer: April 10,2001

My first impression was that someone unfamiliar with the agreement was mistaken and that the misunderstanding would soon be corrected. A bit of investigation by some ex-TWA people makes it appear that both the company and the union intend to renege on the one little crumb they deigned to throw our way.

Knock us to the ground, and slap us as we try to get back up again. Welcome back to the APFA and AA, guys.

MK

Most of us, even those of us negatively affected, have grown tired of the endless arguments over the various seniority issues. But a new twist is developing that I think some will find interesting.

As most are aware, the entire TWA FA workforce was stapled to the bottom of the AA list with the single exception being that as long as we stayed in STL, we would retain our original TWA DOH seniority for bidding purposes. It now appears neither the company nor the union have any intentions of abiding by the Seniority Integration Agreement, or SIA, as the agreement between AA and the APFA has become known.

On the APFA website, click the Furlough tab and then Updated Recall Q & A's. Question #25 states: I am a former TWA/now AA Flight Attendant. If I am able to transfer to St. Louis in the future, what will my occupational (bidding) seniority be?
Answer: April 10,2001

My first impression was that someone unfamiliar with the agreement was mistaken and that the misunderstanding would soon be corrected. A bit of investigation by some ex-TWA people makes it appear that both the company and the union intend to renege on the one little crumb they deigned to throw our way.

Knock us to the ground, and slap us as we try to get back up again. Welcome back to the APFA and AA, guys.

MK

Then file another lawsuit. Stop the crying... It's over.

The operating certificate has nothing to do with this issue, the issue here appears to hinge on the words, "continuously employed", a matter that may take a legal settlement to resolve. More lawsuits on the way...

You don't deserve a response, but for the benefit of others, this isn't dredging up an old topic. It's a new interpretation of something which was promised to us all along. It's like suddenly stapling the mechanics who received 25% in some stations, or pulling out the few captains who were slotted in and putting them on the bottom.

The APFA has sunk to a new low, and then started to dig.

MK

Yet, strangely, you keep wanting to come back for more.
It's my job, and yes, I want it back. Personally, I have no interest in returning to STL as I was never based there until TWA flying was shut down in New York. I live on Long Island and the convenience of living close to where I'm based is more important than seniority.

MK

The operating certificate has nothing to do with this issue, the issue here appears to hinge on the words, "continuously employed", a matter that may take a legal settlement to resolve. More lawsuits on the way...
This is the operative language:
A flight attendant who was employed by TWA as a flight attendant as of April 9, 2001, and who was continuously employed by or conducting flights for TWA-LLC and based at a TWA-LLC base from April 10, 2001 until the Single Transportation System Declaration, and who thereafter remains continuously based at a St. Louis base will be permitted to use her/his TWA-LLC occupational seniority date at a St. Louis base for bidding purposes determined by occupational seniority.

We certainly meet the requirement that we be employed from the Date of Acquisition until the Single Transportation System was established. As far as "continuous employement" after that, we remained union members in good standing as long as we were dues current at the time of furlough, and were considered part of the STL base and allowed to vote on all union issues and for the STL chair just weeks ago.

We had people furloughed when the SIA was signed on 12/17/01 and no mention of them was made. I would think that if they never intended furloughees to retain their TWA seniority in STL that it might have been stated as such.

And they didn't have the courage to own up to what they had done. No hotline message or communication as to the new "interpretation." They just slipped it into the recall Q & A's and waited for it to be discovered, then waited for people to approach the proper union and company officials.

MK

Of more interest in the legal arena in cases against APFA is the Motion for Summary Judgment against AA and APFA filed in Federal Court in Manhattan on March 27, 2007. This motion filed by the plaintiffs in Marcoux vs AA and APFA. The TWA F/As are a party to this suit also. It is painfully clear that APFA and AA violated numerous laws and mandates to force a conclusion favorable to AA during the RPA process. It is sadly noted that APFA conspired with AA to overturn the rejection vote of the APFA membership. In other words APFA negated its own democratic process. As far as I can tell AA and APFA are jointly liable. The membership is going to love using dues money to pay these damages. But in this case the punishment for APFA is well deserved.

With all due respect,isn't the operating certificate gone wich would enable that provision.

This is a very tenacious group of seasoned professionals. The active f/as ought to be cheering to have "help" at the bottom (and many, especially on this board have taken the time to extend warm welcomes), and appreciate the strong labor history and willingness to fight for what is "right". What a novel concept.

Unfortunately, your employer went belly-up.

Wrong, our employer is American Airlines and they are doing just fine. All of the furloughed in question are American Airlines flight attendants and have been for over 6 years.

Of more interest in the legal arena in cases against APFA is the Motion for Summary Judgment against AA and APFA filed in Federal Court in Manhattan on March 27, 2007. This motion filed by the plaintiffs in Marcoux vs AA and APFA. The TWA F/As are a party to this suit also. It is painfully clear that APFA and AA violated numerous laws and mandates to force a conclusion favorable to AA during the RPA process. It is sadly noted that APFA conspired with AA to overturn the rejection vote of the APFA membership. In other words APFA negated its own democratic process. As far as I can tell AA and APFA are jointly liable. The membership is going to love using dues money to pay these damages. But in this case the punishment for APFA is well deserved.

Of all lawsuits filed against AA and APFA how many outcomes have you correctly predicted? Zero????

Latest posts