APA says Hats off at American Airlines

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines pilots won't wear their hats this week, capping criticism of AMR Corp. management for talking about sharing profits while compensating themselves far more than rank-and-filers.

The Allied Pilots Association, representing 12,000 pilots of Ft. Worth, Tex.-based American, said management is breaking a promise of "shared reward for shared sacrifice."

The bit with the hats was described by the union as a hats-off salute to 80,000 line employees for their more than $7 billion in contract givebacks. APA President Ralph Hunter said executive compensation in the same time period grew 700 percent.

story here

American Airlines pilots won't wear their hats this week, capping criticism of AMR Corp. management for talking about sharing profits while compensating themselves far more than rank-and-filers.

The Allied Pilots Association, representing 12,000 pilots of Ft. Worth, Tex.-based American, said management is breaking a promise of "shared reward for shared sacrifice."

The bit with the hats was described by the union as a hats-off salute to 80,000 line employees for their more than $7 billion in contract givebacks. APA President Ralph Hunter said executive compensation in the same time period grew 700 percent.

story here

Yeah, that'll show 'em!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its making a statement of solidarity and showing management that there is a single voice and everybody is on board, with out screwing the customer.

...And exactly what does it accomplish?

It reminds me of the snake shirts, the CompAAny just laughs.

Just what it says.

You dont screw the customer to make a statement to management. Cutting off you nose to spite your face.

I never implied you should "screw the customer"

I asked you what this will accomplish? Solidarity You say?

Whoopty do da... So what you all agree to not wear a hat, or wear a snake shirt, or a pin that says "WE'RE PISSED".

Its a lame duck and produces nothing. :lol:

So then whats the anwser? Do nothing? Call in sick with the rest of the simple minds?

Until the employees are ready to take a stand as a whole all the empty symbolic side show grandstanding is a pure waste of time.

What part of "if the effort brings no compensating gain it is a waste" do you not grasp? :blink:

In support of the APA I will not wear underwear tomorrow... :p

When you see a 'full plumbers crack w/no white spandex, think of me... :p '

B) UT

So then whats the anwser? Do nothing? Call in sick with the rest of the simple minds?

Mikey, why don't you tell us what the answer is?

Did you not "share" in the sacrifice and NOT the reward?

This is not about screwing the customer. It is about showing these greedy executives that despite all the little "love fest" media propaganda segments, AA DOES NOT HAVE A HAPPY WORK FORCE!

So tell me, what do YOU suggest we do while we wait for outr next 1.5% raise while these people REAP MILLION$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Please tell us Mikey. And please, please do NOT tell us that "WE'LL GET THEM NEXT TIME" in our next contract.

This is not about screwing the customer. It is about showing these greedy executives that despite all the little "love fest" media propaganda segments, AA DOES NOT HAVE A HAPPY WORK FORCE!

I'm not answering for FA Mikey, but Hopeful, I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. This is what they are trying to accomplish. This is a not so suttle reminder to management that when contracts talks come up, management better not expect concessions. Actually, they better come with large raises.

At the moment, these type of protests are the only way to show management that ALL members of a union are behind this. It's not that the unions don't have the balls to do more, but legally they can't. You saw what happened the last time the pilots tried to "physically" do something.