APFA/Federal Mediation !

AC AA LA FA

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
mars
www.usaviation.com
DALLAS – While progress has been made on minor issues toward a contract, the Association of

Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and American Airlines (AMR) will file jointly today for

federal mediation.

APFA decided to file for mediation when it was reported the final contract offer on the table

from AMR to the Transport Workers Union had no guaranteed structural pay raises, substantial

increases for contributions for retiree health benefits and the elimination of virtually all

retirement benefits for new hires.

“There is no way Flight Attendants will agree to a contract with no significant pay raises for

almost 10 years, and at the same time that AMR’s top executives continue to reward themselves

with huge bonuses -- $336 million over the past three years,†said APFA President Laura Glading.

“This is just not acceptable. Flight Attendants have made difficult sacrifices to keep this airline

flying and deserve a fair and just contract. We will not consider further concessions.

“We recognize the impact the economic downturn has had on the airline industry, just as we

recognize the positive effect of falling jet fuel prices,†Glading continued. “The company is

refusing to recognize the commitment, dedication, and sacrifices Flight Attendants have made for

this airline.â€

APFA has been in negotiations with the carrier since May. The Union is seeking to recoup pay

and benefit cuts it agreed to in 2003 to help American stave off bankruptcy. American Flight

Attendants’ pay and benefits have been reduced by 25 percent and their workload has increased

by 47 percent (the most of any airline), meaning less time with their families.

“If mediation does not work, Flight Attendants are ready and willing to take all necessary steps to

win a fair agreement,†Glading continued. “With an Administration friendly to workers coming

into office next month, it just might be a reality.â€

With this application, APFA, TWU and the Allied Pilots Association at American are all in federal

mediation.

Hello. This is Mark Burdette, :down: Vice President, Employee Relations. I want to take this opportunity to provide you with a brief update about the company and APFA’s decision to jointly file for mediation with the National Mediation Board (NMB), a federal agency that oversees labor negotiations in the airline and railroad industries.

American and APFA have met consistently in formal negotiations for the past four months, and have made progress at the table. However, both agree that guidance by the NMB would be beneficial in order to move closer to a tentative agreement.

We have terrific flight attendants who take excellent care of our customers, and it is important that American and APFA continue to work together at the bargaining table to balance both the company’s and our flight attendants’ needs, while taking into consideration the economic realities of our industry and company.

edit0

Thank you for your time today. :down:

"no guaranteed structural pay raises, substantial

increases for contributions for retiree health benefits and the elimination of virtually all

retirement benefits for new hires."

Is this a surprise to anyone? The execs at this company have shown nothing else but greed....

"no guaranteed structural pay raises, substantial

retirement benefits for new hires."

Is this a surprise to anyone? The execs at this company have shown nothing else but greed....

It's not just AA and it's not about greed. This is the trend of the last several years. I remember IBM was one of the first to eliminate pensions for its new hires. I saw someone else post that Motorola did something similar recently.

As for mediation, I think it's a crock that you get to go in after only a few months. I don't think it will help. If anything it'll slow you down. But good luck.

Got to love the management that takes on an alias here and makes such post.....as if we are stupid.

If American Airlines wants a Bankruptcy type of agreement from employees. This time the filing will have to take place and then the employees will still take the place down. Saving the Airline from Bankruptcy in 2003 only to see huge management bonus awards, along with further request for concessions, will lead to a bankruptcy and something closer to Eastern Airlines rather than UA, NWA, USAIR.

This management will be stars in a future documentary about how to mismanage and miscalculate employee anger and resolve.

There is plenty of fuel, and there is plenty of oxygen, all that is needed is heat and management seems content to bring delivery.

I think this time there may be enough people who would rather lose their jobs and let the company go down, than those who are willing to sit back and "save" the company again...At least with APFA & TWU.

I think this time there may be enough people who would rather lose their jobs and let the company go down, than those who are willing to sit back and "save" the company again...At least with APFA & TWU.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. In 2003 the airline sector may have sucked but we all could have gone to other companies and gotten a job. In this economic environment finding a job isn't as easy.

Am I going to vote for something inferior? Absolutely not. It's why I didn't vote for Glading. :lol:

My thoughts on the arbitration are that Glading realizes she is a cruddy negotiator and she is taking the easy way out by bowing out early. Then she'll come back and say 'this is what the neutral third party mediators gave us'. She'll also throw in the tired, ' you're not going to get anything better than this so vote yes or vote to lose your job'.

Have I thanked you people for voting her in yet this month? Probably not cuz I haven't posted in awhile.

But thanks! So glad Glading is leading the fight!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. In 2003 the airline sector may have sucked but we all could have gone to other companies and gotten a job. In this economic environment finding a job isn't as easy.

Am I going to vote for something inferior? Absolutely not. It's why I didn't vote for Glading. :lol:

My thoughts on the arbitration are that Glading realizes she is a cruddy negotiator and she is taking the easy way out by bowing out early. Then she'll come back and say 'this is what the neutral third party mediators gave us'. She'll also throw in the tired, ' you're not going to get anything better than this so vote yes or vote to lose your job'.

Have I thanked you people for voting her in yet this month? Probably not cuz I haven't posted in awhile.

But thanks! So glad Glading is leading the fight!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

This is not Arbitration, it is Mediation. There is a huge difference. There is nothing binding about mediation. It is a third party who comes in to facilitate an agreement. If no agreement is reached then one side or the other submits a request to be released. IF granted, then they go into a 30 day cooling off period. If no agreement then, both sides are free to self help, meaining strike and/or imposed contract.
Arbitration usually doesn't come about until after a strike or if the President declares a PEB, Presidential Emergency Board.

In 1993, we filed for mediation early. We have never gotten a contract without mediation. I can't remember anyone who has.

If one is to criticize, one should know what one is talking about.

Maybe, but after they burn the place down, where exactly are you going to go to find work? Dubai?

In case you haven't noticed, unemployment has been going up for the past couple months, and it's not likely to stop under the Obamessiah...

Maybe, but after they burn the place down, where exactly are you going to go to find work? Dubai?

In case you haven't noticed, unemployment has been going up for the past couple months, and it's not likely to stop under the Obamessiah...

We will sit on our asses and you and the Government will feed and house us. :shock:

If the rich really want a two class society, I will survive.

At least I would no longer be slave to incompetent magement lackeys, and no longer funding two hours pay per month to a company union. Sounds pretty good actually. I have already been working a second job and shedding that also and getting a free ride on your dime would be great.

We might not have internet access after that so you will have to argue and manipulate yourself.

This is not Arbitration, it is Mediation. There is a huge difference. There is nothing binding about mediation. It is a third party who comes in to facilitate an agreement. If no agreement is reached then one side or the other submits a request to be released. IF granted, then they go into a 30 day cooling off period. If no agreement then, both sides are free to self help, meaining strike and/or imposed contract.
Arbitration usually doesn't come about until after a strike or if the President declares a PEB, Presidential Emergency Board.

In 1993, we filed for mediation early. We have never gotten a contract without mediation. I can't remember anyone who has.

If one is to criticize, one should know what one is talking about.

mediation is what I meant. I just put the wrong word in. Whether it's binding mediation or not, I feel the same way. She has no skills and is involving a third party.

I criticize because I know she has no skills and I know what I'm talking about because she proves me right with every stupid thing she does.

mediation is what I meant. I just put the wrong word in. Whether it's binding mediation or not, I feel the same way. She has no skills and is involving a third party.

I criticize because I know she has no skills and I know what I'm talking about because she proves me right with every stupid thing she does.

Again, there is no such thing as binding mediation. Sounds like you have a personal thing going on here.

Again, there is no such thing as binding mediation. Sounds like you have a personal thing going on here.

You are correct, for once, it is a personal thing. It's called my career. A career that I do like which is being downgraded daily through this and the previous administrations use of side letters of agreement and poor decision making.

"Binding Mediation..." :blink: say no more...
Laura may some things...but shes is NOT an inept negotiator..PERIOD..and Ill stand against you or anyone else that wishes to challenge that assertion....