APFA President Laura Glading Video on US Airways Merger

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
APFA President Laura Glading Video on US Airways Merger

Click here to watch the video.

APFA US Airways Q&A: April 20, 2012

This is APFA President Laura Glading with a Special Hotline Update for Friday morning, April 20, 2012.

The purpose of this address is to provide our members with the most critical facts. As you know, American Airlines management has made several excessive demands of our contract since filing for bankruptcy protection last November. Not only were their demands unreasonable, but their business plan was uninspired and not viable. My fellow union leaders and I had no choice but to evaluate alternatives.

Along with my counterparts at APA and TWU, I was approached by members of the US Airways’ management team who were interested in discussing a potential merger. Each of us – individually – came to the conclusion that a merger would be the best plan for our membership and the most successful option for the reorganization of our Company. In the days that followed APFA leadership, supported by our team of professionals, met with representatives from US Airways to hash out the details of how a merger would affect our flight attendants.

This agreement puts flight attendants in a far better position than any proposal American Airlines management has made. Equally important - is the business plan US Airways has put forward, which I strongly believe will bring American Airlines back to profitability and competitiveness. A combined US Airways and American Airlines will eliminate the competitive advantage of Delta and United and making us relatively competitive in both size and network.

After careful consideration, the APFA Board of Directors voted unanimously to sign an agreement in principle with US Airways, knowing that it was in the best interest of the membership.

Of course, this plan is not a perfect solution and we expect there to be bumps in the road, but I am confident that it is the best and most viable option available to us. More information can be found below and we will continue to update as material becomes available. Please check back frequently for the best and most accurate information.

I am looking forward to flying with my new brothers and sisters at US Airways!

Its freaking amazing!!!!!,...... a Union that actually talks and communucates with their members. TWU clowns have to GO ! I haven't heard squat from them, not on the local level or ftom the fat cat International.....so very pitiful.

Its freaking amazing!!!!!,...... a Union that actually talks and communucates with their members. TWU clowns have to GO ! I haven't heard squat from them, not on the local level or ftom the fat cat International.....so very pitiful.
But not surprising at all.

Give it one year and she'll be bashing USAir management. She acts like Doug Parker is doing this as an act of benevolence when the reality is airline CEOs will say or do just about anything to spin a merger that could provide steep payoffs to themselves.

Josh

Give it one year and she'll be bashing USAir management. She acts like Doug Parker is doing this as an act of benevolence when the reality is airline CEOs will say or do just about anything to spin a merger that could provide steep payoffs to themselves.

Josh
Contract wise, Parker has done more for the FA's in 4 quick days of talks than AA has been able to do in 4 years.... No need to spin any negativity on this. I lot of us are very encouraged and support the merger and it's a he'll of a lot better offer than our section 1113!

Contract wise, Parker has done more for the FA's in 4 quick days of talks than AA has been able to do in 4 years.... No need to spin any negativity on this. I lot of us are very encouraged and support the merger and it's a he'll of a lot better offer than our section 1113!

Yea, Doug would never renege on his promises.

What happens to this agreement when Doug Parker is thrown out the door with the merger, and Tom Horton continues as CEO????

What, you think Doug and Tom aren't talking to each other during the restructuring????

The unions are in desperation mode and will probably come to terms with Frank Lorenzo, if given a chance.

Stupid.......just plain stupid!!!!

Josh

Will you ever be able to refrain from "Jackass" remarks like this? You don't work for EITHER Airline, so what the hell do you care what Doug says or does? I'm sure these Union leaders at AA are a bit smarter than you, and have a better inside track as to what the future plans of the combined company are. I guess if you fly a few times a year, that you instantly become an employee of the company, and can chime in with random BS such as you do. I see that you are sniffing around on another thread about info on the TLV flight too. If it were up to me, I have your Butt stuffed into a middle seat in the back of the aircraft next to the lav. Lots of armchair airline experts coming out of the woodwork in the past few months, with many that don't even work in the business...

Reactions: 3 people
So was mine. Stop bitching and start acting. Take the section 1113 or go with the US Airways proposal... There really isn't any other choice!

"STOP BITCHING AND START ACTING?"

Wow, a choice......Hmmm..let me see....hmmmm..I could bend over for one choice with no K-Y,,,or I can have foreplay, then get bent over,,,,,

Hmmmm.....decisions, decisions

Will you ever be able to refrain from "Jackass" remarks like this? You don't work for EITHER Airline, so what the hell do you care what Doug says or does? I'm sure these Union leaders at AA are a bit smarter than you, and have a better inside track as to what the future plans of the combined company are. I guess if you fly a few times a year, that you instantly become an employee of the company, and can chime in with random BS such as you do. I see that you are sniffing around on another thread about info on the TLV flight too. If it were up to me, I have your Butt stuffed into a middle seat in the back of the aircraft next to the lav. Lots of armchair airline experts coming out of the woodwork in the past few months, with many that don't even work in the business...

It's not a jackass comment, I think its a legitimate concern for employees and other stakeholders. Many corporations make promises that mergers and acquisitions will create synergies that fail to materialize and it would appear that is likely the case here. I understand the AA unions are using this as a tactic to pressure AA management and the courts perhaps to seek fewer concessions through the abrogation but I can't imagine such a plan to be viable. Face it, the reason US made a pitty $70 million last year is because their costs (especially labor) are so much lower overall compared to their competitors. AA's term sheet calls for pay rates higher than those currently offered to their US counterparts and it isn't conceivable to think 1+2=4 and the combined entity will somehow make such a plan viable. I don't have a dog in this fight beyond the fact that I fly AA extensively for my business and leisure travel. I want to see AA succeed, I really do and selfishly would prefer AA doesn't merger with US. You believe what you want that somehow everything will be rosy at US with the AA unions added to the mix with the toxic East/West seniority debacle. US has had nearly 7 years now to finalize the integration and it still hasn't worked I can't imagine with AA's unions and the associated baggage would be an easier task.

I asked about the PHL-TLV flight because I'm going to Israel this summer for a wedding, perfectly reasonable inquiry. As I've said before I've taken other carriers specifically Continental Delta, and El Al before and wanted to know what to expect from US in Envoy class. US just doesn't have the reputation of providing the same level of service to someone who has flown carriers like Lufthansa, SWISS and Singapore Airlines in their premium cabins and wanted to gauge my expectations accordingly.

Josh

Perhaps but as I said above I'd be skeptical of US and Doug Parker's "commitments" to labor. Were you at the exchange and AA negotiations to see how productive were? As you all should know better than me, airline CEOs and managers make unreasonable, irrational promises at times to promote a merger. How many hubs have been closed by various airlines after local officials were promised they would retain their hub or possibly grow due to the combination? I'm glad you guys believe this will somehow provide a greater standard of living and job security than AA's term sheets but I'd be very careful before cheering such a thing on.

Josh