APFA Special Hotline: August 19, 2013

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
CALL TO ACTION. IT IS TIME TO MOBILIZE AND FIGHT BACK!

The Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit to block the merger with US Airways. As you know, there were six states’ Attorneys General who joined the DOJ lawsuit: Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Virginia, and Tennessee. In addition, the District of Columbia also joined.

Many of you have been requesting what you can do to help in our fight.

For our first call to action we are asking that every Flight Attendant please contact the above Attorneys General immediately and include the following points:
Dear Attorney General:

1. I am contacting you to reconsider your opposition to the proposed merger between US Airways and American Airlines. As a Professional Flight Attendant since (insert year you started flying), I know what the merger means to me and to the thousands of other American Airlines employees. Never before have the employees and management worked so hard and well together all in an effort to save these two great companies. A merger is good for employees and it is good for U.S. consumers.

2. The merger will provide job security for tens of thousands of workers across the country. Neither of these companies can adequately compete with Delta and United and failure of one or both would result in the decimation of jobs, less competition, higher airfares, and fewer options for the flying public.

3. I hope you will reconsider your participation in this ill-advised lawsuit and instead support a stronger, more profitable, and consumer-friendly merged air carrier.

Please join us in supporting the merger between American Airlines and US Airways; it is what's best for our country.

Texas, Greg Abbot: [email protected]
Virginia, Ken Cuccinelli, II: [email protected]
Florida, Pam Bondi: 850 410 1630 (fax)
Tennessee, Robert E. Cooper: [email protected]
Arizona, Tom Horne: [email protected]
Pennsylvania, Kathleen Kane: [email protected]

Please copy in the editors for the newspapers in your area. Letters should include your full name, address and daytime phone numbers for verification purposes only.

NY Times: [email protected]
NY Post: [email protected]
NY Daily News: [email protected]
WSJ: [email protected]
Washington Post: [email protected]
USA Today: [email protected]
Chicago Tribune: [email protected]
Boston Globe: [email protected]
Dallas Morning News: [email protected]
Fort Worth Star Telegram: [email protected]
Miami Herald: [email protected]m
San Francisco Chronicle: [email protected]
Raleigh Durham : [email protected]
Philadelphia Inquirer:[email protected]
Pittsburgh Post Gazette: [email protected]

Stay tuned to this hotline for updates.
We have worked too hard to let this merger be derailed. Our futures depend on it.

APFA AND AFA TALKS CONTINUE
APFA Board of Directors will be meeting with the AFA on Wednesday August 21st in Washington, D.C. This meeting has been scheduled in regards to our continued efforts to reach a consensual representation agreement as a merged carrier. Despite the recent filing by the DOJ all parties believe we will prevail in becoming a merged carrier and are continuing our efforts to work with AFA towards an agreement.

AmericanAirlines + US Airways
"On Our Way"

That's my impression as well. The law is either on your side or its not. Writing a form letter to the AG is hardly what I'd call an effective tactic, but hey, maybe the union wants to appear as though their opinion is relevant when in reality it won't even matter.

Think about it... The AG's from TX, NC, VA, AZ, and TN are generally opposed to (if not openly hostile towards) anything Eric Holder would support. Especially AZ, who has been sued by the DOJ repeatedly...

Not only that, but they come from the home states and hub states for the airline, and opposing the merger is the third rail of getting campaign donations from either company or its unions in the future...

The fact they're still on record as supporting this suit says to me they're making their decision on the case law, and not public opinion. Certainly not on party politics...

But do write.

Reactions: 3 people
Eric, doesn't case law really mean "financial" payoff these days? I thought laws were suppose to be public opinion in this form of government? Of course we all know it is a Government of the money, by the money, and for the money, and public opinion, or the "of the people" has left the building.

As much as labor wants and should fight for this merger, they should also be asking "What do the American (Texas, Virigina etc) people get out of this and why should they support this merger?"

We haven't heard a whole lot of reasons even in AA/US merger documents how the American people would benefit other than to provide a strong alternative to DL and UA. But what does that mean to the American people? Is there any real evidence that DL and UA are comfortably colluding against other carriers and for their own benefit? The DOJ says there are documents and evidence from previous mergers that says that means higher fares, less service, and decreased true competition within the industry, a role that US played against the other network carriers for quite some time. Having three similarly sized carriers does little in most industries to promote competition while the DOJ believes competition is best enhanced by having some underdogs in the race.

The people of Texas - the ones who actually care about the airline industry - are more excited about the Wright Amendment falling and the addition of WN int'l flights from Texas than they are in helping Texas' largest airline get bigger... same thing can be said about NC people and the growth of new competition there.

The American people have to understand what they get out of it and labor has yet to articulate what a combined AA/US can do that doesn't already exist while at the same time addressing the fact that fewer competitors will mean less choice in an industry segment (the network/legacy carriers) where public opinion is not really on the side of the industry.

The cruel reality is that airlines and their employees do not form a meaningful majority of people in any state; if they did, airline policies would be a lot more favorable to the industry than they are.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a very interesting article on www.justplanenews.com and they made a comparison to the aneheiser busch bud beer buying corona bear and they found 10 parallels to the us/aa but they also made mention of the ua/co merger... however some of them are thinkin that may be to get the mergr thru they have to keep the air fares in check and to keep a hub or two open with a percentage of flights for 2 yrs similar to co/ua did at cle

The mantra of the APFA..."Must beat dead horse. Must beat dead horse. We will explain to DOJ why merger must go through. If it doesn't I may have to go back to actually working as a flight attendant. Must beat dead horse. Must beat dead horse. If we find the right spot and pressure, the horse will rise."

Note to unions: "Because it would be good for me" is NOT sufficient to demonstrate how the merger will benefit the American people.

Also, to everyone here, please note that there has been tremendous consolidation in the petroleum industry--for instance, Texaco which was the 3rd largest oil company in the U.S. when I worked for them less than 20 years ago does not even exist today. Now, ask yourself...how has all this consolidation reduced my cost of gas, home heating oil, or other petroleum products?

As much as labor wants and should fight for this merger, they should also be asking "What do the American (Texas, Virigina etc) people get out of this and why should they support this merger?"

We haven't heard a whole lot of reasons even in AA/US merger documents how the American people would benefit other than to provide a strong alternative to DL and UA. But what does that mean to the American people? Is there any real evidence that DL and UA are comfortably colluding against other carriers and for their own benefit? The DOJ says there are documents and evidence from previous mergers that says that means higher fares, less service, and decreased true competition within the industry, a role that US played against the other network carriers for quite some time. Having three similarly sized carriers does little in most industries to promote competition while the DOJ believes competition is best enhanced by having some underdogs in the race.

The people of Texas - the ones who actually care about the airline industry - are more excited about the Wright Amendment falling and the addition of WN int'l flights from Texas than they are in helping Texas' largest airline get bigger... same thing can be said about NC people and the growth of new competition there.

The American people have to understand what they get out of it and labor has yet to articulate what a combined AA/US can do that doesn't already exist while at the same time addressing the fact that fewer competitors will mean less choice in an industry segment (the network/legacy carriers) where public opinion is not really on the side of the industry.

The cruel reality is that airlines and their employees do not form a meaningful majority of people in any state; if they did, airline policies would be a lot more favorable to the industry than they are.
Funny that you mentioned the W/A. Here are some rumors flying around the hangars: Repost:- BTW; Heard some very interesting "rumor" the other day. SWA is examining the costs related with starting flts from DFW. Yes I said DFW. We all know that SWA would have to give up gate for gate from Love Field to DFW if they do, BUT, they are not restricted from doing so. Matter fact I was told they are looking at using "international flights only" from DFW as this would more than pay for the off-set. On a side note; also heard SWA may have found a loop hole where they may not have to give up any gates at Love as this would be "international gates" at DFW not domestic gates as the W/A calls for a 1 for 1 in gates, and this would be not be same gate for same gate. Time frame I was told was hopefully using DFW by 1st or 2nd quarter of 2015, has something to do with the expiration of the W/A. Just wondering if this will have something to do with some concessions or divestures at DFW for the AA/US merger. Very interesting to say the least. Bad timing for AA to have to worry about fighting against the W/A again, but it looks like they are going to have to. This would be the best time for SWA to slip into DFW as AA is focusing on the merger and coming out of BK. It would be 1 gate for now until results are seen then grow as needed. We were all told that SWA would benefit from this merger as they have from past mergers, just never thought we would consider DFW so soon, but I guess this would be the best time, and SWA has already experienced other big airports. I have not been able to confirm this since I heard it late last week. But you know how rumors are, hell, we were never able to confirm the AT purchase rumors. When I know more I will post...

swamt i wonder if wn may help us/aa merge in a way if you will lets say they have us/aa give up some gates so wn can begin intl flights out of dfw and then us/aa focus on the rest of the strategy to get the deal closed??

swamt i wonder if wn may help us/aa merge in a way if you will lets say they have us/aa give up some gates so wn can begin intl flights out of dfw and then us/aa focus on the rest of the strategy to get the deal closed??

DFW gates are not in short supply and the prospect of Southwest flights from DFW is irrelevant to the concerns of the DOJ, which focused on the market power that new AA would have in 1,000 domestic markets plus the increased ease of competitiors cooperating due to the reduction in the number of competitors plus the DCA slots.

If WN wants gates at DFW, then WN will get gates at DFW. They're rather plentiful.

This merger is likely dead.

Its all a guess unless you have dinner with Baer. The only thing that is not a guessing game is that the US employees are sucking hind tit with this current contract and now it has just been extended. Much better off spreading " By the Book " theory than wondering and guessing.

Lock and Load..........

Well, if it makes you feel better, keep believing that giving up gates/routes/etc. will make this anti-trust case go away.

Note to swamt: And, the DFW rumor is why I've always said that WN is run by airline people and the rest of us are run by accountants. There is enormous cost associated with starting up an international operation from scratch in an airport. As DFW already has a going international operation with Customs and Immigration and International security procedures, why should WN duplicate any of that cost at Love? The increased landing fees would surely be amortized by the absence of start-up costs.

You guys are sounding very desperate, Why?

When AA and USair merge the FA's get a lot of things back from their bankruptcy contract, like being able to not work at all an still be employed, 9.9% 401K match fro FA's over 50. 6.7% 401k matching for FA's 40-49. An early out package for 1500 FA's ($40k) along with a bunch of other pays such as galley pay .88 cents, expense pay, and other rule changes.

Latest posts