APFA Update: June 16, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
APFA Update: June 16, 2012

Have a question or a comment about AMR's Bankruptcy?

For "Proof of Claim" questions – [email protected] or call 817.540.0108, ext. 8212
For AA or US Airways Term Sheet questions - [email protected]
For general bankruptcy questions - [email protected]

Be Informed:

Read more news on US Airways + AA
Read more AA Bankruptcy News
Read more from Wall Street Analysts

APA and TWU Mediated Negotiations Conclude With No Agreements

After two days of mediated negotiations with Judge James Peck, the two remaining groups represented by TWU - the Mechanics and Related, and Shops, that did not ratify their last best offers a few weeks ago, did not reach a deal with AA this week. The pilots spent two weeks negotiating and did not get a deal either, however, they were given a "last best offer" from AA and will be discussing it at their Board Meeting next week. The judge's decision will be issued electronically on Friday, June 22, but at this point, APFA has no idea what time of day it will be published. As soon as it is, APFA will send out a robo call and a hotline as well as other communication tools.

How Many Million is Too Many Million?

Some of you may have been wondering why it seems like our CEO isn't hearing what everyone else is saying: that the best option for AA's survivability - a merger with US Airways. Actually, as it stands, I'm sure he hears fine. He just chooses not to listen. Instead, he plugs along promoting the Standalone Plan regardless of its lack of viability.

Some of you may also know why he's doing this. For those who don't, here it is in a word: millions.

In order to exit bankruptcy, the Company must file and receive approval for a Plan of Reorganization (POR). This is the roadmap that lays out the company's post-bankruptcy existence as well as the percentage creditors will recover on their claims.

First, the POR will likely provide for cancellation of the stock that was issued before the bk filing. The POR will state the total value of the company, the number of shares of new stock to be issued, and the price of that stock. For example, if the POR Sets the value of the Company at $1 million and the number of shares at 10,000, the price of each share will be $100. (In nearly all cases, unsecured creditors' recovery is in the form of stock.) If the POR provides for a 50% recovery and an unsecured creditor has a claim of $1,000 the value of that claim will be reduced to $500 for which the creditor receives 5 shares of stock (5 x $100).

Finally, the POR will disclose the number of shares the officers will receive for their anticipated success after the bankruptcy. Of course, as was the case before the bk filing, the AMR officers expect to be showered with gobs of compensation. To accomplish this, they will receive large amounts of stock. When Doug Steenland (then-CEO of NW Airlines) and Glenn Tilton (CEO of UAL) exited bankruptcy it was with $27 million and over $30 million respectively. And that was after the first day upon emerging from bankruptcy. The "real" money is based on the fact that the valuation of the company is invariably understated. Consequently, when the stock starts to trade on the open market, investors appreciate the real worth of the company and are willing to pay more than the price of the stock. Back to our example, if Wall Street believes the real price of AA is $2 million, that doubles the amount of compensation our CEO would make right off the bat.

Tom Horton wants the same treatment as the CEOs of United and Northwest received. If he remains in control of AMR until it emerges from bankruptcy he just may get it. And if he then announces a merger with US Airways, AA's stock will skyrocket. We know this because, based merely on the possibility of a merger with AA, US Airways' stock has increased by about 150% over the past several months.

Alternatively, if Horton is not in control at exit and instead US Airways is sponsoring the POR, which would include the distribution of stock, Horton will receive far less than the tens of millions bestowed upon other airline CEO's.

That should about explain it.

AA and US Airways in the News

Yesterday's US Airways' shareholders' meeting in New York was attended by the leaders from all three of AA's unions. Click here for an article from the Chicago Sun-Times. APFA President Glading was interviewed by CNBC at the conclusion of the meeting. The video was broadcast nationwide throughout the day.

CEO Doug Parker made the following statement: “They can’t fix this,” he said of American’s slip from the country’s No. 1 to No. 3 airline. “This is a structural weakness that bankruptcy can’t fix.” He also said American’s plans to expand and grow its network don’t make sense. “They’ve announced an intention to grow in the markets where they’re the weakest, not the strongest,” he said… (more)

To view US Airways' SEC 8-K filing including the slides shown at the Shareholders' meeting in New York supporting a merger with AA, click here. For a company so hell-bent on promoting the strength of its standalone plan, threats of mergers should bear no weight. The opposite is true:

• Would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery receive zero independent analysts' reports in support of said plan?

• Would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery be surprised that its three unions opened the door to a merger with another carrier by agreeing to Term Sheets behind its back?

• Would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery see the leaders of its three unions attending another airline's shareholders' meeting?

• Would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery request a meeting with ad hoc bondholders not directly involved with the UCC to try to convince them to look at its standalone plan before any other plan?

• Would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery go to such lengths to keep their passenger service representatives from even voting to join a union?

• And finally, would a company that is so confident in its plan for recovery be so threatened by a bagtag published by its flight attendants' union, that it issues a "cease and desist" letter?

Potential Pension Freeze

The Company has not published any information about their plans to freeze our pensions (or not) in the event our contracts are abrogated next Friday. Nor have they announced when they will implement their proposed 401(k) match substitution. Until that date, whenever that may be, you will continue to accrue Years of Credited Service (YCS) that count toward calculating your pension.

Remember, it only takes 734 paid hours in a calendar year to accrue a full YCS. Some high-time flyers may even receive a YCS for 2012, if they receive 734 paid hours before the Freeze Date. (Check your HISK for progress.) Others may receive just a fraction of a year. For example if you only had 550 hours in 2012 before the Freeze Date, you would have .749 of a full year of YCS.

If a Pension Freeze is implemented, use the Pension Estimator on Jetnet to view your final pension according to the date you plan to retire.

Is all of the important information in the post above or a consolidated thread without personal opinion or blogging that many people don't like to read available by "Scroll to the bottom of every page on this forum and you'll see 5 columns of links. The first 2 in the left column are American News and US Airways News. It's not hard to find merger related news - Google has a good news function too?"

Me does not think so...but I have just a public school college education.

If people want to blog in a topic intended to be a news only thread and the moderators don't want to create a proposed merger news only topic, like the specific employee group topics, so be it, but I just won't post here for an indefinate period because I don't want to read blogging and would prefer to have a one-stop location for news.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Nope, you dont understand the concept of a message board, its where people exchange ideas and opinions.

You disregard the moderators who close the threads you open when the same thread exists, why dont you go start your own message board then you can make the rules.

Reactions: 3 people
Nope, you dont understand the concept of a message board, its where people exchange ideas and opinions.

You disregard the moderators who close the threads you open when the same thread exists, why dont you go start your own message board then you can make the rules.

I fully understand the message board concept and don't want to spend any more time on the Internet. I simply thought a one-stop shooping venue for Proposed Merger Related News was a good idea. I simply made a request that others agreed with, but some people cannot respect others and have to dominate conversations with their blogging. A lot of people do not want to participate in this type of communication, which I respect.

How would life be different if people stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people they encounter or their desires on a message board? Why can't people respect their journey and instead have to dominate every topic with their opinions that many people do not want to read unless the bloggers are stopped by the moderators such as in the labor topics?

Inferiority complexes? Are those who desire to not have an individual Potential News Topic and a Potential Merger Blogging Thread have an inferiority complex with low self-esteem, insecurity, and a belief they do not measure up?

I don't know, but what I do know and was taught by my parents is the value of respect. Too bad many of our colleagues do not understand that point.

In conclusion, I believe the APFA Update, which is very informative, is not readily available by using Google and interested parties have to take the time to search for this information. This is just one example why I believe a Proposed Merger Only Topic makes sense for those interested in reading as much merger news as possible without having to be interrupted with blogging.

If people don't want to respect the opinion of others and desire to not have a one-stop Proposed Merger News topic so be it. Interestingly, on their website USAPA just started using this idea in a topic called "Merger in the Media", so it appears US Airways' pilots union gets this idea. Oh well...by not participating here with news posting I have more time to do other things...

Any ways...got to go. Have fun here.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Well you dont respect the people on this board, the moderators keep locking the thread when you start a new one, so you dont respect them nor the board's TOS.

And its apparent to all, you are the one with the inferiority complex, its a message board, understand the concept.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.