Apr 2 And Out Of Reserves Already?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Can someone explain to me if the numbers a flight attendant told me were true. She was being flown space positive (overbooking a flight btw) to get to PHL to work a trip. She said she was told they had 100 lines open and only 7 reserves available. Do these numbers even sound plausible? I know we are short crews again because flt 228 canx on Apr 2nd. (full plane Spring Break weekend with no protection for days). I spoke with another flight attendant who was International in PHL who was called to come work a domestic trip even though she said the fence isnt supposed to come down until May. If this is the case, why didnt the company ask for it to come down sooner? I realize there could be training issues involved with the different ac types, but I thought we needed to save money asap and once again this doesnt sound like the way to do it. Canx flights because of no crews where reroutes to other carriers (ha) and hotels for days are the norm can not help add to the bottom line. Can someone explain to me just what is happening and why we are already out of crews on the 2nd of the month? Did this weekend end up being carried over from March and we were actually in the 32nd day of the bid? Help! :shock:

Bottom line........not enough resources. This is not a sick call issues.....we are just plain out of Pilots and Flight Attendants for all fleet types nearly all weekend. Freakin nightmare. 18 Crew cancellations yesterday and more then that today. Someone please explain how it is the company wants to get rid of another 500 F/A's? Why is it we don't replace Pilots that retire or quit? Can't wait to see what happens when we are in the peak of thunderstorm season this summer and have no crews to repair late trips. Or when crews sit for hours waiting for ATC clearance and accrue all that block time.

I applaude that F/A's and Pilots that have been cooperative with rescheduling and those that volunteered to pick up extra trips / flying. Without your help, this weekend would have been far worse. And kudos to the Crew Scheduling Group. Those folks pulled more rabbits out of their hat then Hudini.

tell me again........why is Uncle Al still here? who is responsible for setting staffing levels? Al? Jerry? If they don't start recalling Pilots and back away from the announced F/A furloughs, our summer will be a diseaster.

MarkMyWords said:
If they don't start recalling Pilots and back away from the announced F/A furloughs, our summer will be a diseaster.
[post="260328"][/post]​

Yea, something else to look forward to. :down:
But, not to fret, someone will soon be telling us that the tstorms were unexpected and how can you plan a schedule around things you cant predict?
BTW- what should the minimum staffing level be at the counter before we just canx all flights and send everyone home? ;)

MarkMyWords said:
Bottom line........not enough resources. This is not a sick call issues.....we are just plain out of Pilots and Flight Attendants for all fleet types nearly all weekend. Freakin nightmare. 18 Crew cancellations yesterday and more then that today. Someone please explain how it is the company wants to get rid of another 500 F/A's? Why is it we don't replace Pilots that retire or quit? Can't wait to see what happens when we are in the peak of thunderstorm season this summer and have no crews to repair late trips. Or when crews sit for hours waiting for ATC clearance and accrue all that block time.

I applaude that F/A's and Pilots that have been cooperative with rescheduling and those that volunteered to pick up extra trips / flying. Without your help, this weekend would have been far worse. And kudos to the Crew Scheduling Group. Those folks pulled more rabbits out of their hat then Hudini.

tell me again........why is Uncle Al still here? who is responsible for setting staffing levels? Al? Jerry? If they don't start recalling Pilots and back away from the announced F/A furloughs, our summer will be a diseaster.
[post="260328"][/post]​
The attrition rate at mainline is running about 20 pilots per month, Mid Atlantic, about 6 to 7. Your right about the F/A's, all the early outs have just begun and its a nightmare already.

If I understand correctly, the early out program for F/As hasn't started yet. The attrition is from F/As retiring or quitting, and it's higher right now than it's ever been.

They recalled 43 for May and may recall more of the junior people to replace the buyout folks.

I find the above statement pitiful.

You applaud people for giving up their time to a company that wants to get rid of as many of you as it can.. The leaders of the company short staff the entire operation, hurt the customer on purpose and you want to thank these people for coming in an helping out.. So long as they keep coming in an helping out the company will never staff the airline correctly and the same problems will occur over and over.

Work your schedule, complete your trips.. Anything else you do extra is a waste of time. The only people you are helping are the people that made the mess in the first place.

Crew Scheduling.. Kudo's? Give me a break.. The cause the problem in the first place.

F/a's options 105/95/75/50 haven't been disposed of yet, that doesn't come until May. I believe that is the reason we are so short of F/A's. As soon as everyone is required to fly their block hours, it will hopefully alleviate some of the problems.

But then again, nothing so far has worked the way it looked on paper, so.........

PSA1979 said:
F/a's options 105/95/75/50 haven't been disposed of yet, that doesn't come until May. I believe that is the reason we are so short of F/A's.

Sky high states: The company COULD NOT handle the weather problems over the weekend. I heard WINDS were so bad at some east coast airports, that planes were encountering moderate/severe turbulence. Aborted landings at LGA, back ups at CLT. Many COMMUTERS could NOT get into their bases the night before due to these winds. An agent in LGA said that SEVEN FLIGHTS had to be cancelled due to NO CREWS in the morning.
Didnt the company LEARN FROM THE LACK OF STAFFING OVER THE HOLIDAYS???

"Didnt the company LEARN FROM THE LACK OF STAFFING OVER THE HOLIDAYS???"

When has this company ever learned from their mistakes? They can't even admit they made a mistake! :shock:

Who would want to come back here?
On the pilot side, most furloughees have jobs with more security and probably better benefits/retirement than we have. There is no incentive to come back to work for a bankrupt, lowest-paying airline in the industry, just to be abused on reserve, and get very little in return.

justaumechanic said:

I find the above statement pitiful.

You applaud people for giving up their time to a company that wants to get rid of as many of you as it can.. The leaders of the company short staff the entire operation, hurt the customer on purpose and you want to thank these people for coming in an helping out.. So long as they keep coming in an helping out the company will never staff the airline correctly and the same problems will occur over and over.

Work your schedule, complete your trips.. Anything else you do extra is a waste of time. The only people you are helping are the people that made the mess in the first place.

Crew Scheduling.. Kudo's? Give me a break.. The cause the problem in the first place.
[post="260377"][/post]​

Thanks for popping in and throwing in your two cents of crap on the issue. While I hold no regard for most of the managers that do make the decisions to operate the way we do, I do have the utmost respect for the employees that still pour their heart and soul into doing what is right by the customers. When faced with a choice between doing nothing and letting the whole thing go down the crapper (as you would recommend) most are doing anything they can to keep this bird aloft. Doing the bare minimum (and incompetent senior management) is what got us here years ago. You may not care about the customers but it is obvious you are in the minority.

As for your comment on Crew Scheduling causing the problem....you obviously have no clue. The Crew Scheduling department does not set the staffing levels, they deal with the mess caused by unrealistic staffing levels. The Crew Schedulers worked very hard at trying to maintain the flight schedule. They were able to perform miracles in getting open flying covered.

CCY definitly needs to wake up and get real. The money we saved by staffing at the absolute minimums (in all departments) is lost when you are canceling full flights, providing hotel accomodations, offline reroutes, meal vouchers, phone cards and that says nothing about the lost future bookings because of our inability to provide reliable / timely service.

Kudos to the line employees....you were dealt a horrible hand this past weekend but did your best with what you had available.

To the CCY managers......pull your head out of your poop shoot and FIX THE PROBLEMS!

To the crew schedulers I am sorry.. I misspoke.

The the leaders of crew scheduling, I stand by what I said. Wake up.

Who sets the staffing levels? Management right?

My point about people making it happen, to what end?

You keep bailing them out so they will never fix the problem. You are saving what? If the leadership cared they would fix the problem, they don't care. Yet time and time again people like yourselves bail them out or try to save the day.

For what? Job satisfaction?? For a company that wants to get rid of you!! Its sad..

Your trying to save something your senior leadership has no intention of saving. They are propping it as best as they can so they can make the new buyers happy.. Thats all.. Do you think Broner and Lakefield care? NO.. They don't give a crap..

Go ahead and keep bailing them out.. They will never fix the problem, never. And one day after all of the good work you did your boss will be standing there with a smile on his face and say "Your Fired, thanks".

Looks like it happened again today. Guess these people will be enjoying Florida until Wed now, unless they are forced to stay longer. With every flight that canx, it pushes people about 2 days out on getting home right now. Absolutely pathetic. Instead of Consumer Affairs address, maybe we should start handing out Bronners RSA Address or just go right to the DOT address? Maybe some of the Roaches would like to include this info in a letter to Sec Minetta. Since the company didnt admit shortages of staffing for the Christmas fiasco, and the staffing items clearly havent been addressed, maybe its time they look some more into the USAirways staffing model if they want a reliable carrier. It would also help to keep the pressure on CCY to get their s**t together. :down: :down: :down: :down:

Flight Departure & Arrival Information

US Airways Flight 228

Monday, April 4, 2005
Departure Arrival
Airport: Tampa, FL (TPA) Airport: Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Time:
10:10am Scheduled Time:
12:38pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Time:
Cancelled Estimated Time:
Cancelled

Aircraft:
Airbus A320 Baggage Claim:
G
Comments: This flight has been cancelled. The aircraft is unavailable because of a prior cancellation due to a lack of flight crew availability. Customers will be re-accommodated. For information about your party please contact US Airways Reservations at (800) 428-4322

Al Crelin is the problem.

Compounding the problem are the "loyal" employees that help out. Crellin will never be replaced unless and until the employees stop enabling his incompetence. Your loyalty is misplaced mark my words.

If you truly want to help your company survive you need to understand that covering the incompetence of Al Crelin will only continue the problem. Not solve it. Houdini didn't perform magic. He performed illusions. And that is what Crelin counts on to enable him to short staff your operation into oblivion.

mr

Latest posts